1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unusually High Temps with HIS 5770 Card

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ShannonN, Jan 15, 2010.

1. ShannonN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all
    New HIS 5770 card in new i5 750 system, no overclocking of system or video, idle temp = 47 c, play a game it shoots to 100 c and often crashes , yet fan is definately spinning, case (Thermaltake V9) is very well ventilated.

Can't see anything restricting fan speed etc, using latest Catalyst 12 drivers to suit the card and Win 7 Pro OS legal activated copy with all available updates. I have used GPU-z to monitor temps also have the MSI afterburner utility to manually force fan speed to constant 75 % no change in temps, Does anyone have some ideas and advice, besides taking card back getting replacement etc? ( as store will BS about having to test in their machine yada yada and will take ages to sort out.)

Thanks in advance
    Shannon

2. Morrison5891

Morrison5891

Thanks Received:
    You might wanna check the fan and heatsink to make sure its seated correctly on the GPU

3. ShannonN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Never thought to do that, Thanks Guess I rely on it being new that it should be seated etc but will close it down and check :)

4. ShannonN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Problem Solved

After taking the whole system to the shop and demonstrating the extreme temps when gaming etc I finally convinced the tech to replace the card with a new one from stock and test, the new one has an updated heatsink shroud similar to the HIS version one. and ran fine some 40 c cooler under the same load (maxed out at 60c).

The tech said the fan and h/s assy had been changed and revised in the latest batch delivered some 4 weeks after I brought mine, the HIS one with the egg shaped cooler, seems there is a known problem with the eggshaped fan etc if they make a revised design 6 weeks after landing in the country?

Cheers
    Shanny

5. raza334 New Member

Thanks Received:
    try this

i am having the same problem, and the only obvious reason for this is the "dust" which always blocks air to the heatsink, which doesn't give enough cooling. now i onftenly clean my gpu with a blower. just chek ur card for this problem, if dust is there then u should clean it immediately. it is mostly due to a dusty rug, or carpet. hope it solved it.

6. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    It honestly sounds like there was an issue with the first cooler, I've had 2 5770's each with egg or batman cooler. I didn't have anything above 60° at any time.

7. ShannonN New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't get signs of dust, as my thermaltake case has dust filters, even with the replacement card that works fine and the sides off the case bypassing the filters i don't get any noticeable accumulation of dust or increases in operating temps

8. ShannonN New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tend to agree with you, I removed the fan assy and thermal tape from the first one applied high quality paste and reassembled and it made no diff to temps so I guess it was a faulty component, however, I'm surprised HIS has redesigned the cooling on the card to a long full shroud rather than the smaller/cheaper to make /assemble egg cooler if the egg cooler was doing the job fine?
    Thanks for the input
    Shannon

9. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    The egg shaped cooler does a better job than the original cooler on the HD5770. You got a defective card, not a defectively designed cooler.

10. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Than the dual slot exhaust out the rear cooler? You sure about that? I thought it was the other way around and the egg shaped cooler is just cheap. I remember seeing threads asking where they can buy the original cooler because the egg cooler wasn't so good.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I think you got older stock, I'm pretty sure manufacturers aren't using the shroud cooler at all anymore.

The egg cooler worked better one the two cards I had, 4-5 core difference. The shroud cooler is also louder.