1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[UPDATED] Reassuringly expensive Palit GTX 1080 gloriously kicks the bucket!

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by qubit, Jan 9, 2017.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I've been the proud owner of a reassuringly expensive Palit GameRock GTX 1080 since the beginning of September. Fabulous performance - very fast and silent - just like the slightly higher end Premium one reviewed on TPU.

Today however, at about 12pm, it gloriously gave up the ghost, died, went kaput, kicked the bucket! :laugh:

Before this, everything was fine, then I try to play a YouTube video which triggers a blank picture and the fans spin up to maximum (really noisy!) and stay there.

Interestingly, my main monitor, connected via DisplayPort, loses the video signal and shuts down while the secondary monitor on the DVI port fires up and shows some weirdly squished picture: a thick white horizontal bar going all the way across the screen with some coloured dots and random patterns around it.

Amazingly, Windows hadn't crashed since the numlock key still responded. I was therefore able to shut down the PC properly with a momentary press of the power switch. This avoids hurting Windows with a hard reset or power outage.

Before this seminal moment in the life of my fabulous new high performance graphics card, there were very intermittent symptoms for a few weeks that all was not quite right with it. It did the blanking thing before, but a reset always restored normal service (sometimes two resets required, bless, as the BIOS screen didn't appear - a hardware issue for sure). Then, we had blue screens, especially when playing videos or starting a game. All of this very intermittently.

Oh, by the way, this card lights up in different colours to let you know the status of the card, red, blue and green - green being all ok and idling on the desktop. You will all be greatly comforted to know that the light stayed green throughout all these glitches, even the hard fail. Kwality. ;)

And the biggest joke of all this is that I never even overclocked it. No, not even once and there's plenty of ventilation too. It was Mr Easy Life in my PC, but it failed anyway.

So now I've got one of my trusty MSI GTX 780 Ti Gaming cards back in while I RMA this piece of shit with www.scan.co.uk. The've got a reputation for good customer service and I've had good service from them before, so I don't expect any RMA headaches (hopefully). Thankfully, this is the first RMA I've had to do for any reason in years and will hopefully be the last for a long time, too.

Stay tuned for the next episode in this continuing saga...

UPDATE 11 APRIL 2017

It's all done and dusted. You can read all about it throughout the thread, or for the tl;dr version go here.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Man, that sucks... but, shit happens. Glad you ahve a solid back up!

If you hold down the power button for 5s and it shuts off, its still a hard power down.
    Isn't that just for temperatures??

EDIT: Yes -

qubit says thanks.
  3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    lmao, time to get your money back and go with another brand

qubit says thanks.
  4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Sad to hear but it's not a saga. Sometimes hardware fails. My Seasonic PSU... yes, Seasonic - SEASONIC died on me a year or so back. Seasonic are one of the best brands out but there you go - it died. Seasonic did do a nice speedy RMA for me. I'm pretty sure Scan will sort it out.

buildzoid, Dethroy and EarthDog say thanks.
  5. qubit

Thanks Received:
    @EarthDog Oh yeah, that's why I was at pains to say I pressed the power switch momentarily. It was a full, normal shutdown as far as the rest of the PC was concerned. What I didn't say in my piece is that on restarting the PC, I could tell it had booted into Windows, but just wasn't showing a picture. This suggests to me that the GPU is working normally and that the problem is somewhere else. The techie in me would love to know the technical side of this fault.

@eidairaman1 You're probably right. I've had it too long to demand a refund at this point though. Only if problems continue can I do so.

@the54thvoid It's kind of a saga when you make a sarcastic take on it like I did. I thoroughly enjoyed writing it! Shame about that Seasonic.

6. CAPSLOCKSTUCK

CAPSLOCKSTUCK Spaced Out Lunar Tick

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with Palit.

i am sure they will do a better job than samsung have with my daughters missing phone..

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.PNG

7. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:
    I have a palit gtx 1080 too, albeit the cheaper made version (super jetstream). Sorry to hear man and I hope it won't happen to me...

qubit says thanks.
  8. alucasa

Thanks Received:
    That's what happens when you play too much Wash Dogs.

Assimilator, remixedcat, R-T-B and 3 others say thanks.
  9. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    That sucks man, hopefully the new one is one of the better ones...

My MSI 1070 (one of the first batch) is still going strong.

GreiverBlade and qubit say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    "Would that be Norwegian Blue :)"

Training Video for your RMA Attempt

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. alucasa

Thanks Received:
    RMA can be a major pain in you-know-where when you don't have any GPU to hold onto. You are lucky, dude. Time to wash more dogs.

qubit says thanks.
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:

I'd say MSI like what you have already

13. Dethroy

Dethroy

Thanks Received:
    ALT+F4 or shutdown via cmd would have been options as well.

Hope you'll have a better RMA experience with Palit than the one you had with their card.

qubit and biffzinker say thanks.
  14. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    Note that the OP said "a momentary press of the power switch". On some PCs, if you give the power switch a quick press, Windows will shut down normally (other PCs will go into sleep mode, and still others will ignore you completely).

EarthDog says thanks.
  15. Dethroy

Dethroy

Thanks Received:
    You can change the behaviour in the BIOS if it is a decent mainboard.

EarthDog says thanks.
  16. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Or in Windows if you're running 7 or newer.

Dethroy says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried using other outputs? HDMI? If your monitor isn't HDMI do you have a connector?
    Ahh, that's right.. correct. by default, however, it does nothing. YOu have to set it that way.

18. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    My reassuringly inexpensive Titan X (not pascal) I got during the crash is still running like a champ.

Sorry, I like to salt wounds. :p I hear it helps them to heal faster. ;)

19. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Actual quality =! chance of RMA, if of decent quality to begin with. I have never understood why people don't get this.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    By default it shuts down the PC like you selected Shutdown from the menu.

In all my many Windows installations and different versions I've never seen it behave any other way in its default configuration.

21. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    On ATX PC's this generally holds true, but mix in a NUC or laptop, and then when you hit the power button those devices sleep/hibernate. Though some folks also forget or may not know that Windows 10 normal shut down process is a partial/hybrid hibernation that still allows power off, part of why it can boot up cold so fast...but seems to take a bit longer when restarting. Holding power or disabling the fast startup feature iirc mitigates this. I've never screwed with it, its never caused problems and I love a fast booting PC. :D

You can confirm by checking your system up-time after an OS shut down and power on. (Right click Task Bar, choose Task Manager, go to the Performance Tab, choose CPU, find "Up Time:") You should notice that the up time didn't start back at 0, but was the up time before you shut down. If you restart the OS though that time starts at 0:0:0:00.

Sorry to hear your 1080 kicked the bucket so soon...I hope the RMA process is painless! I still have a Palit 9600GT from back when Palit temporarily returned to the states with a bang. That was a sweet little GPU to OC and use. I should test it and see if it even works any longer! LOL. Either rate, good luck on the RMA and replacement!

:toast:

stinger608, Dethroy and qubit say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. Divide Overflow

Divide Overflow

Thanks Received:
    Bad cards happen to the best of manufacturers. Good luck with your RMA!

qubit says thanks.
  23. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's a good one to remember on a PC that doesn't have the power switch set for a controlled shutdown. :)

Note that the warranty responsibility initially rests with the seller here in Blighty, not the manufacturer. Scan have now sent me the RMA number and a label to print out. Looks like I'll have to pay the shipping back to them though.

I think the law says that they have to refund the cost of this shipping once the card is confirmed to be faulty, but I'll check before chasing for it.

Dethroy, CAPSLOCKSTUCK and dorsetknob say thanks.
  24. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    Damn that indeed sux! Hopefully you wont have a big hassle getting it replaced.
    It would be interesting to see what did malfunction with it, and hopefully it's just a fluke. I have had 3 [Gainward] card's but used from eBay, 1 of them was bad. I do still have that nastyazz Bliss from back in 2007 and thankfully it had remained working at least till the 5870 came out.
    It's super nice to see we are still rocking very similar system's and I am looking forward to getting a sweet GPU upgrade the next couple years.
    Finger's crossed you will be up an screaming very soon!
    That's a superb GPU qubit :toast: I'm jealous :rockout:

qubit says thanks.
  25. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    On my work ThinkPad, a quick press of the power button puts the computer into sleep mode.

In Windows 7, the settings are under "Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do".