1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade Advice...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by digibucc, May 22, 2009.

1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    Been upgrading my machine the last few months - just wondering where to go next? Specs in drop down.

Air cooling and keep at a good temp.
    just got a second 4870
    then upgraded to a Phenom II 940

sooo... SSD? 3rd 4870? (Mobo supports 3@16x each) what else is there?

I am not looking to go to water cooling yet. am not looking to upgrade motherboard or processor for at least a year - what else is there?
    I use it mainly for gaming / but also dreamweaver,photoshop - nothing too intense

the main issue is that i run my 42" HDTV as a gaming monitor, and like to keep it at 1080 vs 720.

I experience some tearing in some games. not horrible, but noticeable.

response to MRCL (get a cd drive):
    lol yes - I have many spare dvd burners - but the fact that I haven't used one a single time for the past 5 months or more, caused me to remove it from my rig. no need for it anymore. nothing i do requires a cd drive. I use digital distribution for any media (steam, netflix on demand) . the only other possibility is driver cds, which can always be downloaded. I have folders with drivers for all my components, so re-installation is a snap. I install windows from a usb thumb drive, and use that for all transportation needs.

so for what reason do i need an optical drive? I understand it's common convention, but I truly have no use for one.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Get a CD/DVD Drive :roll:

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get a high resolution monitor maybe. Idk, I would look at a video card that has more than 512mb's or ram on it. Even with two 4870's in CrossFire, you are sill limited to 512mb's of ram.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that's what I was thinking. I figured I might wait till the next round of GPUs come out, seeing as how 4890 is the top so far, right? (ATI only)

does anyone know any kind of release schedule, for AMD/ATI parts?

thanks!

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Supposedly by the end of this year, but I'm hoping sooner for the HD 5870's. :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    ooohhh 5870... yes. Hope its good so it drops GT300 price :p

7. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    hum, well before u went 3x xfire, should not he upgrade his PSU some? You seem to have a high end rig and if you upgrade a lot i would consider purchasing an 850watt corsair psu or something. Otherwise watercooling is the only thing i can see, but i'd personally save my money and wait for the HD 5870 and buy 2 to replace your 2 HD 4870's

8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:

I think you may be right. I am not experiencing any low-power symptoms yet , but before I think about adding anything I have to take that into consideration. I had not thought of that Thanks!

That being the case , I think I may wait for the 5870 as well.

I was looking for somewhere to find out hardware release schedules , cpus and gpus specifically. what is next for ati after Phenom II? I read more cores, but is that it?

Thanks so much for the input!

9. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    in fact, if u do trifire, one of the slots is going to drop from 16 to 8 lanes.

10. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't really matter on any current generation card. Pci-e 2.0 8x is plenty for all modern gpu's

11. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    actually two. i had thought it was 3/16x - but your comment made me check. good to know, thanks for your comment.

from newegg
    "@ dual x16, triple x16 / x8 / x8, or quad x8 modes"