1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade CPU or GPU?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by kenkickr, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I have a HTPC system that contains:
    Sempron 140
    Gigabyte 785G( IGP 4200)
    2Gb DDR3-1333
    WD Blue 320Gb

I've tried unlocking the Sempy to a dualy which some days would work fine and on other days would be a pain in the dick. I do use Power DVD which supports AVIVO hardware acceleration but stutters like crazy. I can't tell if its the IGP or the proc causing it.

Would a x2 help out or grabbing a dedicated gpu be more beneficial.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    While the GPU is doing the video playback acceleration, the CPU is still need for overhead processing. Honestly it sounds like the disabled core in the Sempron is just not stable at stock speed of 2.7 Ghz. Since temperature can effect this, I would guess hotter days are when you get the problems out of it.

Try this, don't unlock the core and just use it as a Single core CPU. Believe it or not, that little monster is the faster single core CPU ever and should handle DVD playback no problem. If it is not as smooth as you want, OC it to about 3.1 ish as I got my old one to 3.2 with no voltage increases.

kenkickr says thanks.
  3. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I'll try "Team America" here shortly since I brought it to work with me:D Thanks for the pointer:toast:

When we are home the AC is set to 76 F and the temps on the system never looked bad. I just figure I have one that doesn't unlock stable.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Probably right. Let me know how the playback is when you are running on just the 1 core.

5. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    the 4200 IGP should be more than enough for playback of media only, it really does sound like the issue stems from CPU, and again most likely the second core being unstable.

as TheLaughingMan said I'd go back to one core and aim for 3-3.2ghz, then we'll have a better idea of whats really going on.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    So far so good running everything stock. Never once saw Team America jitter when playing with Power DVD 10.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    There you go, sorry that other core is not stable, but for an HTPC that Sempron is more than enough.

8. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I decided to say screw it and OC some with it. Right now priming @ 3.375Ghz on stock voltage.

Could the stability issue be due to the Minuet 350W only has a 4-pin but this Gigabyte 785G has a 8-pin? I might try it out when I get home and if that's why I guess this system will be going in the Ultra Microfly collecting dust.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Did u enable hardware acceleration in PDVD settings (if you haven't)?

I am using a single core Sempron AM2 3400 @ 2.4Ghz + 9400GT + 2GB system ram and it plays Blue Ray DVDs perfectly, but only at 720P. More than that the system struggles.

In your case a cheap X2 240 will do the trick.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I run powerDVD on 3870 512mb and celery347(2.0ghz singlecore), with 2Gb of ram. I say that IGP might be the issue..because I'm running powerDVD @ 1920x1200.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Yes I did enable hardware acceleration in Power DVD. I'll find out tonight how it does on the Plasma and report back tomorrow morning.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I didn't get a chance last night to try a regular DVD on the plasma due to PowerDVD trying to read it as a Blu-ray and failing everytime. With regular Media Center Player it played just fine...as it did before but it was PowerDVD that would stutter.

I have some Best Buy money and 10% off coupon from them so should I grab a video card or save it for something else?

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I would not shop at Best Buy as their prices are really, really high. Second, I would be sure that the IGP is not enough before spending money on replacing it. That could be more you can use for more RAM, storage HDD, new CPU, better case, whatever.

14. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Normally I don't anymore but we bought a TV from there so now have some Reward Zone money.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Well I would go for a ATI 5550. That should be more than enough to drive a 1080p with no issues. Gaming would be limited to older titles and Indie games; however, pure HTPC that should be plenty of power to back up that Sempron. Something like this:

HIS H555HS1G Radeon HD 5550 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI E...

Post your results though, I am still curious about playback on the PowerDVD with the Sempron cause that software is processor hungry.