• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade PSU for Dell 8300

Mani 05

I want to upgrade my Graphics Card to an nVidia 6600GT on my Dell 8300 but to do so I also need to upgrade my PSU which is only 250W. I was wondering has anyone done this successfully, as I have heard there are a lot of problems with doing this. If so could you please give me some info like the new PSU, did you require an adaptor. Basically any info would be appreciated. Thanks a lot....

Avun

Dells have speically made power supply units for their computers you cannot buy a standard one and run it in your system Unless of course if you do like to see sparks and doom. You will have to order a stronger one t hrough the, ( if they make stronger ones.) Thats why I build my own rigs. Lol Alot more easier to upgrade.

N312D

No adaptor is required. The psu for the 8300 is an actual ATX psu that is only rated at the average. I think the max for the 250W psu from dell is 345w max. So all you need to do is make the hole on the back of your Dell case jus a tad bigger for an ATX psu to fit because even though the Dell psu is a normal ATX, it lacks a power switch therefore the case doesn't have a big enough hole for the standard ATX psu that has a power switch. All I did was use a dremel to cut a hole for the switch to fit on. I got a 500W psu for $30.