1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade to GTX 1060. Need help!

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by TMCThomas, Mar 10, 2017.

1. TMCThomas

TMCThomas

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone at the Techpowerup forums!

I've got a kind of complicated problem, I'll first explain the situation: I'm planning to upgrade my current GTX 760 OEM 1.5GB graphics card but ran into a problem. I've got a pre-build Medion PC. Now i've checked pretty much everything for the asus turbo GTX1060 6g, The PSU (450W) is fine (My current card draws more power), the physical size of the card will fit easily, etc. There is just one thing I actually didn't know about before and that is the NVIDIA GPU BIOS. I know there were drivers but I had never heard that there was also GPU Bios software. So now my question is if my current "NVIDIA GPU UEFI Driver (80.04.C3.00.5B) will work with the GTX 1060/ if it is even important/ what it actually does? Would also love to hear from people who've the same problem.

btw. I've contacted both MEDION and NVIDIA about this matter and they both replied pretty vague, with Medion responding that it should indeed work in theory but that they are not sure and they won't support me. Nvidia responed that it may or may not work.

Best regards, Thomas Mulder.

2. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    Every graphic card has his own BIOS, it's firmware.
    Your GTX760 has his own so has the GTX1060 his own, they are specific for each card brand/model.

Usually there is no reason to do the risky BIOS update of a graphics card so you should leave it as is.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. TMCThomas

TMCThomas

Thanks Received:
    Oh wait! I thought that the the GPU BIOS was saved/installed on the bios of the motherboard itself, but is it actually a bios on the Graphics card itself?

4. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    nope the gpu bios resides on the gpu :)

TMCThomas says thanks.
  5. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:
    Yes

TMCThomas says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    Yes.

Only with laptops it's mostly different, laptops have 1 BIOS with integrated VBIOS.

TMCThomas and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. TMCThomas

TMCThomas

Thanks Received:
    Oh well, that explains a lot, thank you all so much! especially you P4-630! :)

P4-630 says thanks.
  8. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    A video cards bios is loosely analogous to a human being's thoughts and memories. Each person has their own. Also they should never be "updated" or changed to improve performance as It can go just about as well as it would in the analogous situation.( think total recall )

TMCThomas says thanks.
  9. eveNNN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello Thomas !

My name is Julien, i'm 21 french student, and I have EXACTLY the same problem, hahaha. I'm actually on a Medion computer with the same motherboard and the same graphic Card (GTX 760 OEM).
    I just bought a new GTX 1060 6Go and i'm a bit worried if it will work, or not.
    What is your final experience about this subject ? It would help me so much since it will be the first time i'll update my gaming setup.
    Thank you by advance for your answer !
    best regards,

eveNNN

10. TMCThomas

TMCThomas

Thanks Received:
    Hello Julien!
    First of all sorry for my late response, didn't notice the comment until today. When I was about the buy a GTX 1060 6GB it became way more expensive (here in The Netherlands) due to the ethereum miners. The model that I had planned to buy went up from just 280 euros to 420! Which in my opinion was way too expansive for a 1060. I've waited ever since to see the prices come down which recently happend. They're now around 350 euros which is quite reasonable again. I'm still planing to buy one this year but that's unfortunately too late for you, because you've probably already got it ;). I'm sorry for not being very helpfull, I hope everything went right and you're now playing with that beautifal GTX 1060 :)
    hope to hear from you if everything indeed wen't well.

Greetings, Thomas.

eveNNN says thanks.
  11. eveNNN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey !

No worries, thanks for the answer anyway ! I just want to tell you that I bought the gigabyte Nvidia 1060 GTX 6 GB Windforce, and it works perfectly ! there is no compatibility problem with the motherboard :D
    Have a next purchase then and thanks again for the answer :)

Best regards,

Julien

TMCThomas says thanks.
  12. TMCThomas

TMCThomas

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

Good to hear that everything went well! I hope you enjoy your new videocard. ;D
    Thank you as well for the information, makes the purchase a lot easier :)

Greetings, Thomas

13. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    I'd still look for a board bios update which incorporate fixes and feature introductions typically

10 Year Member at TPU