• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

pennylessz

I have absolutely no clue if this is the right place to post this, but I'm going to be upgrading the SSD and RAM on my Legion 5, and have frankly...never done anything like this before.

So I'm thinking of putting in two sticks of 32GB Samsung 3200mhz SDRAM, then throwing in two 1TB Western Digital SN850, as I've heard the 1TB gets faster write speeds. However, I know every PC functions differently, and have no clue if these are really the best options, if they're even options at all.

It appears that what they have in by default is-

WDC PC SN730 SDBPNTY-1T00-1101 (NVMe 1TB)
2x Samsung 3200 MHz 8GB (M471A1G44AB0-CWE)

Lastly, I want to ask if it would be wise to apply any thermal paste or pads to anything while I'm in there. Then I would also ask if there's any sort of guide for this thing? I'm not entirely tech savvy, but a step by step or even a reasonable video should get me through.

System Name The Worker/ Laptop
Processor Ryzen 5 3600/ i5 1035g1
Motherboard MSI b450 Tomahawk Max / Lenovo proprietary
Cooling Arctic Freezer 33 eSport One
Memory 16Gb DDR4 3200 Mhz Corsair vengeance LPX / 12gb ddr4 3200Mhz (4gb are soldered :( )
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx 1660 Ti OC @2030Mhz core and 7400Mhz memory / Intel G1 UHD
Storage 1 970Evo plus 500gb, 2x250Gb Samsung 850 Evo,3 TB HDD / 250gb WD SN530
Display(s) Asus mx259h / 15.6 FHD TN
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply CoolerMaster G750M
Software W10 64bit
To me replacing a 1TB nvme drive with another 1TB nvme drive makes little sense. At the end of the day you'll get the same amount of space with marginally better speeds, and probably you won't notice the difference in most scenarios.
For the ram should be ok, and replacing it is pretty simple. Search a video on yt and follow it
Also while opening the laptop I would change the thermal paste on cpu and gpu
Edit: also some laptops have a stick of ram soldered and the other one not, I would suggest to open up cpuz or even task manager and see if it's quoted as "row of chips"

System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64
So linked are some guides for taking apart similar laptops to yours, not sure yours exactly is listed. As suggested above, obviously change the thermal paste on CPU/GPU. Without knowing if there are thermal pads for anything else in the system, wouldn't bother. The SSD upgrade as mentioned won't likely give you much performance increase, especially if the laptop is not PCIE 4.0, that SN850 won't be able to operate at full speed. The ram upgrade might not give you much difference either, as on an old laptop when I went from a single 8GB stick of ram, to 2x8GB, with tighter timings, nothing felt any different, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get any better scores in synthetic benchmarks for the RAM.

Repair Guides

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You've got 16GB RAM and want to upgrade to 64GB; why?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
You've got 16GB RAM and want to upgrade to 64GB; why?
Probably the same reason why I had 16GB and when I bought a new machine went with 64GB. You know, because I needed it because I was running out of memory with 16GB. Memory is one of those things that doesn't really help (usually,) unless you need it. For context, on a regular work day I'll use somewhere between 40 and 52GB of memory.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Seems to me that such work would normally best be for desktops (just me thinking out loud).

pennylessz

So linked are some guides for taking apart similar laptops to yours, not sure yours exactly is listed. As suggested above, obviously change the thermal paste on CPU/GPU. Without knowing if there are thermal pads for anything else in the system, wouldn't bother. The SSD upgrade as mentioned won't likely give you much performance increase, especially if the laptop is not PCIE 4.0, that SN850 won't be able to operate at full speed. The ram upgrade might not give you much difference either, as on an old laptop when I went from a single 8GB stick of ram, to 2x8GB, with tighter timings, nothing felt any different, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get any better scores in synthetic benchmarks for the RAM.

Repair Guides
Any suggestions on which paste to use?

Also, I've been recommended the Hyperx instead for the RAM. Any thoughts?

Lastly. Yeah, on account of the older gen PCIE, I probably won't touch the SSD.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Seems to me that such work would normally best be for desktops (just me thinking out loud).
Nah. Most of the time my machine isn't under full load and I need the machine to be portable if I'm traveling for work or something. The memory is mainly for me to be able to run the full system for the suite of services that I work on, plus anything else I need to do along with that. I'd agree with you if the machine didn't have to be portable. Desktop is always going to be faster, but not if you need to travel with it.

Any suggestions on which paste to use?

Also, I've been recommended the Hyperx instead for the RAM. Any thoughts?

Lastly. Yeah, on account of the older gen PCIE, I probably won't touch the SSD.
I don't tend to be very picky these days. Just get something from a name brand and you'll probably be fine... although I'm sure there are people that would disagree with me. In the past my preference was Arctic Silver 5, but there are probably other options that'll do just fine. As for the SSD, only upgrade it if you need more capacity. In reality, you're not going to notice the bandwidth difference between two SSDs regardless if it's PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 most of the time, unless all you're doing is running I/O bound benchmarks.

pennylessz

Nah. Most of the time my machine isn't under full load and I need the machine to be portable if I'm traveling for work or something. The memory is mainly for me to be able to run the full system for the suite of services that I work on, plus anything else I need to do along with that. I'd agree with you if the machine didn't have to be portable. Desktop is always going to be faster, but not if you need to travel with it.

I don't tend to be very picky these days. Just get something from a name brand and you'll probably be fine... although I'm sure there are people that would disagree with me. In the past my preference was Arctic Silver 5, but there are probably other options that'll do just fine. As for the SSD, only upgrade it if you need more capacity. In reality, you're not going to notice the bandwidth difference between two SSDs regardless if it's PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 most of the time, unless all you're doing is running I/O bound benchmarks.
I will be doing consistent very heavy gaming that will push a 3070 Mobile and 5800H to their limits, so whatever paste I get ought to be the best lasting for heavy heat and vibration. I've heard that Arctic Silver 5 dries fast, which is fine since it then still keeps things cool. However, it also wears away easily during severe vibration, which would be an issue.

I am checking out MX4 and MX5, but I'm not sure if they're exactly what I should be looking at for longevity. MX5 is new, and seems to have some good recommendations, so it looks like a contender. I really do need some more recommendations though.

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Obligatory, if this thing is being used for "Intensive gaming" and isn't being transported around, get a desktop because heat issues are nearly unavoidable with "gaming laptops".

If that's not an option,
seems to be a pretty solid disassembly video. Looks pretty typical if not slightly more annoying than most laptop disassembly's. Just follow the video and take your time. As far as heat stuff, slapping heat pads and TIM around inside a laptop when you're not entirely comfortable even installing memory is just going to make it a very expensive paperweight. So just treat it like any other "gaming" laptop, it has to be used on a desk/table or you'll risk blocking airflow. So no couch gaming on your lap etc..

Note that there's some confusion on if that thing even supports 64GB of memory. It's official specs list 32GB as the max (which is more than enough for gaming).

Oh and an NVME upgrade, unless you're going bigger than it's not worth it.

pennylessz

Graphite pads might be what you are after
Amazon.com: IC Graphite High Compression Thermal Pad (40X40mm 5-Pack) …: Computers & Accessories
Use with care as they are electrically conductive.

Three questions...

Do I need to remove old heat sync paste before applying these?
I can app them in a laptop then?
What precautionary steps should I take for installation?

Obligatory, if this thing is being used for "Intensive gaming" and isn't being transported around, get a desktop because heat issues are nearly unavoidable with "gaming laptops".

If that's not an option,
seems to be a pretty solid disassembly video. Looks pretty typical if not slightly more annoying than most laptop disassembly's. Just follow the video and take your time. As far as heat stuff, slapping heat pads and TIM around inside a laptop when you're not entirely comfortable even installing memory is just going to make it a very expensive paperweight. So just treat it like any other "gaming" laptop, it has to be used on a desk/table or you'll risk blocking airflow. So no couch gaming on your lap etc..

Note that there's some confusion on if that thing even supports 64GB of memory. It's official specs list 32GB as the max (which is more than enough for gaming).

Oh and an NVME upgrade, unless you're going bigger than it's not worth it.
I lack the space for a desktop unfortunately. My living situation is unique and hard to explain.

Well, I'll have a five year warranty and it doesn't void it to open this up and mess with it, so it'd just be a really annoying return. My biggest concern is needing to open this up a second time provided that I end up with faulty/misapplied thermal paste, which isn't uncommon on Lenovo products it seems.

I have spoken with someone who installed 64gb.

I haven't seen anyone successfully get past 2 TB on one of these, so I'm not sure I could. I would try, but the RAM is much more important to me than space, especially since 2 TB is generally alright, and I'll have a NAS set up anyway.

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
I HATE working on laptops, they are so easy to damage; I would suggest not risking it.

Repasting the CPU and GPU will void the warrantee.

pennylessz

I HATE working on laptops, they are so easy to damage; I would suggest not risking it.

Repasting the CPU and GPU will void the warrantee.
This is good to note, maybe I'll have to just put in the new RAM and call in a technician if the factory did a crap job with the initial paste. (Which I suspect is likely, but at least the rest of the cooling system is said to be quite good.)

I have heard it doesn't void the warranty if no damage has resulted from it upon further research, however I don't think I could guarantee a decent job with my inexperience.

One issue is that I've heard Lenovo techs are not very good at maintenance, so that's a worry.

Edit: Upon further inspection, I am told that they often don't even notice if you've failed a repaste, and will service it anyway. Not the most confidence instilling thing, but whatever.