1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading my pc, looking for advice on my PSU.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by takomako, Jan 31, 2014.

1. takomako

Thanks Received:
    hello my current rig is:
    mobo: m4a78lt le
    cpu: phenom II x4 965
    gpu: r9 270x
    psu: ocz zs 550w
    hdd: wd 500gb
    ssd: adata 64gb
    2x 120mm & 1x 140mm case fans

i'm going to put all these in a zalman z11 case and add a corsair hydro h55.

my question is: does my psu have enough power for this?

thank you all in advance for your feedback

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In short? Yes! You may even have room for a mild overclock :)

takomako says thanks.
  3. takomako

Thanks Received:
    wow thanks for your quick answer i thought so too but i wanted a more experienced opinion too :).

4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I recommend you use this website http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to calculate power requirements in future. Do note that website overestimates to keep you within a safe margin

XSI says thanks.
  5. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Corsair PSUs are cheap and they are built solid. I would pick Corsair over OCZ any day of the week. I just bought a CX600M as my spare PSU for just $50. You can find a deal every week somewhere.

I would just get the hydro H60 as there is almost no price difference. I catch them on sale at least twice a month.

With your current setup, you probably use under 300w or less, you have about 100W to play with and still be in the safe zone. If you pick up a CX600M, then you have another about 150W headroom for overclock or crossfire.

Good luck to you.

BTW I ran an i5 3570k, 8gb ram, radeon 7850, 1 TB velociraptor, 1 SSD, DVD drive and a Z77 all on a CX430(only 430 watts). It was still well within safe margins and never missed a beat in over a year. I think most people just overestimate their power needs.

takomako says thanks.
  6. takomako

Thanks Received:
    hey thnx for your answer as well. most of my pc was recomended from a friend years ago. the only thing i changed was the gpu from the 6670. so the PSU was not my call. i would go to corsair too but he said that those series came out nice.
    the difference in price for the hydros here are h55 68euro and the h60 85 euro. is the 60 worth this difference?
    i was worried about my PSU when asus site said that my current rig need 700 minimum(OMG) and the site that RCoon recommended says 360.
    anyway if you think that the h60 is a lot better than h55 plz tell me cause now i have the phenom II x4 965 with stock cooling for 3 years and it seems fine. i just want a nice cooler for my future cpu. (waiting for amd to drop something good).
    again thank you for your reply.

7. stock

stock

Thanks Received:
    Imo €17 price difference isn't worth the H60.... your money though.

8. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:

Hey, did not know the price difference was that great in Europe. In the US, I see both H55 and H60 around $50-60 every week.

PSU recommendations are always way off. They do it to be safe because most people buy the cheapest stuff possible. The cheap PSUs have high Wattage ratings because they bump the 5v and 3V lines. The high quality PSUs concentrate on on the 12V lines. That's why everyone cares about 12V rails. That is where most of your power draw will come from. The other lines don't need anymore than ~100W total.

Amps X Volts = Wattage. Look for the amps on the 12v rail to know if you got enough power for your set up. As long as you stick with reputable brands, you never have to worry about the 3v and 5v rails.

9. Bugler

Bugler

Thanks Received:
    Quite true, the amps on the 12v rail is the main concern when choosing the PSU. Usually the quality models have plenty of amps there, unlike the cheapies.