1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading my PC/ weighing my options.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by eroxnigg, Aug 17, 2017.

1. eroxnigg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I recently bought a skytech computer little less than a year ago. It isnt a very great computer but it did have and amd 8350 processor and nvidia gtx 1060 3gb. Was wondering what i need to do to upgrade to an intel 7700k with a gtx 1080 or would it be better to grab the 1080 ti?

Is it even possible? Srry trying to get into pc games heavily. And have the ability to run 4k for media/ upcoming games.

Currently deployed so im in no rush for answers. But help is very much appreciated. Will reply with as much info as needed. Thanks

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    At the very least, you'll need a new Motherboard for a 7700k, and possibly new RAM

1080 vs. 1080 Ti? If you're not planning on playing on a 4K monitor, 1080 ... if you're only on a 1080p screen, you may be satisfied with the 1060 3GB you already have

eroxnigg says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    you could get a 7700k but if you wanted to save a bit of money you could also go Ryzen. you could grab a 1080Ti and it would still perform pretty well with your 8350 though the 7700k would perform much better.

With Ryzen and the 7700k, your system would need a complete overhaul. new mobo, ram and CPU

Vya Domus and eroxnigg say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. eroxnigg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems like it would almost be better to grab a new pre built computer. Unless mobos can fit any chassis. Then i might still venture to upgrade rather than buy a new one.

Sorry im not very tech savvy. Im a helicopter mechanic.

Money is not an issue just dont want to upgrade for a while.

Been researching online and im not to knowledgeable when it comes to computers. Im hoping to change that.

I dont mind getting a new mobo but im not sure if it will fit in the chassis i have been looking at msi z270. But im really tring to get an idea of how much to upgrade to a very high tier pc

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2017
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    https://www.skytechpc.net/products/...ddr3-1tb-hdd-24x-dvd-500-watts-psu-win-10-pro

Is that your PC?

If so, you could reuse the chassis with a new system. They seem to use aftermarket cases which int he instance of the linked system, would be easy to overhaul.
    Just guessing, but to move in the direction you are thinking you will need...
    CPU and possibly an aftermarket cooler
    Motherboard
    DDR4 RAM
    Operating System
    GPU
    PSU possibly too, as they do not state which model of Thermaltake PSU is used.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    1080ti all the way... $/performance its worth it over the 1080.

Definitely ditch that FX

7. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I would sell the one you have a buy a new one. Not enough parts to reuse and you will end up with bunch of parts that not gonna be easy to sell.

8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It's amazing how people here love to spend other peoples money :p

If playing at 1080p, a GTX 1070 should make just about anyone happy

I second that. The OP is new to PC building, so it'd be a good introductory project. It's amazing how most of us here take years of PC building experience for granted, it can be quite intimidating for someone who's never done it before.

Caelestis, eroxnigg and CAPSLOCKSTUCK say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    No such thing... once you start building the itch hits. ... and then ... you're surrounded by a horde of gear, and need to tweak every last mHZ. Must ... have... fastest.

psyko12 and eroxnigg say thanks.
  10. eroxnigg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone i think ill be going with sneekypeets idea. It sounds fun. Expensive but im more than willing to learn.

Furthermore, it is absolutely intimidating looking at all these parts and stuff and certain things dont work well with others, etc.

Thank you again

Oh and @sneekypeet yes thats the one

psyko12 and Sasqui say thanks.
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that motherboard would need to be upgraded just to get more juice out of the 8350, the cpu is fine, can be sold on the net. I'd say a 6700 with a Z270 chipset or a Ryzen 3 with 350 chipset.

eroxnigg says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Rehmanpa

Thanks Received:
    A ryzen cpu, since you said you wanted to run 4k for media and upcoming games, is what I would recommend. Me personally I'd get a ryzen 1700 and a gtx 1080 ti. A bit more budgeted version of that would be a ryzen 1600 with a gtx 1080. I'd say that the 1080 ti is generally worth it over the 1080, but the 1080 is good enough for 4k anyways.

eroxnigg says thanks.