• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading my pc

neitaro

Hello!

I am planning on upgrading my pc because its getting old
I have been looking at some parts but am unsure about if the parts are compatible to eachother.

So currently I am looking at either getting the ryzen 2600x processor or the more newer 3200g, since its cheaper for me. Not sure how they work differently though.

I also want to change out my old motherboard to a newer model. The asus rog stix b450-f gaming, is on sale right now and the reviews on it have been mostly positive. So i am thinking about getting this.

For ram i think its mostly the same but i found corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3200mhz 2x8gb bricks for a decent price

For the graphics card i have a 1070 superclocked black ed from evga ready to use.

The powersupply i have right now is a cx500 but i am planning on upgrading this aswell to a 750 or something else if 750 is overkill, but i thought that then i atleast have nothing to worry about.

If there is someone that could help me out with the parts and what is good and not, or if there is something cheaper and better alternatives to the ones i listed above. thank you!

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Get the 3600.

neitaro

I will look into the 3200, but do you know some of the key differences? or just that the new is best?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I will look into the 3200, but do you know some of the key differences? or just that the new is best?

One is 4 core / 4 thread CPU based on 12nm design, other is 6 core 12 thread based on a new 7 nm tech.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
We need more information from you to properly suggest some builds. What do you use the computer for? Do you OC? What is your budget? What is your current system consist of (it would be better if you listed your system specs in your forum profile and made them view-able)? Where are you planning on buying your parts from?

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
^^this is first step^^

Then Go to Pcpartspicker.com...........choose any combo of parts and it will alert you to current pricing, possible incompatibilities, as well as general/typical/estimated power requirements.

You can save a build summary, then swap things around to see what differences it makes....

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
The 3200 is not better than the 2600, as the 3200G is based on the same technology when it comes to the CPU, but it's paired with a built in GPU as well.
The 2600 has six cores, the 3200G has only four.
Unless you're planning on using the built in graphics, the 2600 is the superior choice, or if you can afford it, the 3600 would be a smarter choice, as the new memory controller in the "real" 3000-series processors appear to be less picky when it comes to RAM.

neitaro

So i am now thinking about the 2600 or 2600x... since the 3200g comes with integrated graphics when im planning on using the 1070 i have here. What you think about the 2600 for basic gaming? Im not really that good with overclocking so im not sure im gonna overclock that much..
I went on pcpartpicker and the parts i picked had good compatibility. my budget is around the pricing of the parts i mentioned i guess.
Should i go for the 2600x or the 2600? I am a regular gamer, almost always put the video settings on low for them frames. but since im upgrading now, hopefully i can run some more recent games on HD.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
3200g is a niche CPU that only makes sense when you don't have a video card

2600x makes sense if you have zero desire to OC but still want to squeeze out all CPU performance

an overclocked 2600 would be your best bet for price performance since it will give you the same performance as the 2600x.

neitaro

Yup thats what i thought about the 3200g
I guess i could go for the cheaper option and just learn to overclock when the time comes. learning new things is always fun.
but what do you think about the b450-f motherboard and 2600 combo?

Case fancier than yours
Yup thats what i thought about the 3200g
I guess i could go for the cheaper option and just learn to overclock when the time comes. learning new things is always fun.
but what do you think about the b450-f motherboard and 2600 combo?
Combo works

You don't need a 750w psu, any solid 550w will handle your system. Since you already have a cx500 you may as well keep using it.

neitaro

Ok, good to hear!

Also when i upgrade my parts and everything will i still be able to keep everything in my harddrives? So for example my os will it stay the same?
I hope thats how it works or maybe there are some problems ill run into when i put everything together?

edit: do you think my psu right now cx500 is gonna last long with these parts together? i read somewhere that you should atleast have 550 like you mentioned or more for safety?

I would budget for a better unit. 600w is more than enough, but get a better unit. Those CX units are awful!

neitaro

I will take that into consideration because i already did consider buying a new psu.
But will see if this psu is any good with the new parts and then see from there..
The rm series from corsair is supposed to be very good from the reviews ive read about them.
Which company that makes psu do u recommend i look into?

Case fancier than yours
I would budget for a better unit. 600w is more than enough, but get a better unit. Those CX units are awful!
Thanks for the amateur opinion unfortunately professional disagree with that opinion. The cx may be mediocre but awful PSU take out hardware when they go. I've yet to see any test from jonnyguru, TPU, or Tom's stating that.

I will take that into consideration because i already did consider buying a new psu.
But will see if this psu is any good with the new parts and then see from there..
The rm series from corsair is supposed to be very good from the reviews ive read about them.
Which company that makes psu do u recommend i look into?
The vast majority of companies don't make power supplies they just sell them. Look to professional review sites like jonnyguru, Tom's hardware or techpowerup for reviews.

Seasonic is one of the few companies that make their own PSUs while companies like EVGA, Corsair, antec, among others offer a diverse range of units including rebranded seasonic units. Do your homework on any unit.

Last edited:

neitaro

Alright, i think i will settle for seasonic 650w 80+ gold.

Just made my purchase for the motherboard, processor and ram. Will see how the parts work together, and will probably buy the psu later on, when i see how my current psu works.

Thanks for all the help guys

Processor 3700x @ 4.3
Motherboard Crosshair 7 hero
Cooling Kraken X62
Memory 16GB Trident-Z 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX2080 XC Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 evo 500gb NVME
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q
Case NZXT H500
Audio Device(s) Phillips SHP 9500s.....Audio Technica AT 2035 microphone.....Scarlett 2i2 audio interface.
Power Supply EVGA 850W Supernova G2
Mouse Model O
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software Windows 10

Besides being a "cheaper" PSU I have never had a problem with one. I have one that's been going strong for years now, no issues at all. I have also had much more expensive PSU's that were terrible, there's nothing like hooking up a $200 PSU and hearing the coil whine from across the room.

Last edited: