1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

upgrading my rig - advice pls

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Endrij, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Endrij New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello everyone!
    firstly, i am all new to this forum and i just want to ask for some advice from those who are more familiar with upgrading a PC.
    my rig is the following now:

Asus P7P55M
    Intel Core i5-661
    DDR3 8G RAM 1333Mhz Kingston
    Sapphire Radeon HD6990
    950W Corsair PSU
    7200rpm Samsung HDD

you see, the GPU is quite a monster here but the motherboard and cpu are weak.
    i thought about upgrading the CPU to a core i7-870 (which is compatible with my mobo now) OR.. for about twice the money, get a new mobo (i think an Asus P6X58D-E) and an Intel Core i7-980 cpu (not the extreme edition cuz its over my money limits now)
    i'm mostly a gamer and i'm bit confused now about how to upgrade that rig and need help from some more experienced people - i hope i came to the right place :) greetings to all!

2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Do not buy an 980 and 1366 motherboard, Sandybridge (socket LGA1155) has better performance andf will likely cost you the same as a 980 + motherboard or less. I would recommend an Z68 based motherboard and an i5 2500k if you plan to overclock otherwise you do not need the K variant.

Endrij says thanks.
  3. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Prices are pretty high right now. The i52500K is about 27% more expensive compared to June this year (Thank you USD exchange rate and AMD).
    Why do you need to upgrade ? Latest games run pretty good on any quad core CPU if you have the right Video card. I'd camp it out untill Q22012.

Endrij says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Not in the UK it's not it has stayed the same since it's release, however so has the £ to the USD exchange rate perhaps that's why I haven't seen any increase.

Also he has a dual core with HT, that will be bottlenecking his 6990 a great deal, things won't change next year much except for the addition of Ivy Bridge though prices will likely remain the same as there is no competition from AMD in the high end market.

Endrij says thanks.
  5. Endrij New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for your suggestion NdMk2010! I looked and compared many CPUs, i also compared i5 2500 with these 2nd gen core i7 ones.
    Well, i'm not a pro at all in this topic but there are huge differences between those 2 cpu-s if i compare them.. i7-980 has 6 cores with 3.33ghz, it has 12M cache, qpi speed is about the same.. an i5 2500 has only 4 cores with same clock speed but half the cache (6M).
    How can it perform better? I don't understand :( anyway, thanx for your answer.

6. Endrij New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes caleb, a quad core cpu is very good now! I still have a dual core but i try to "get ahead" of future hardware needs that's why i'm guessing about a hexa core cpu. thanks for your answer!

7. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

cuz it's run on better chipset, that's all
    and i agree with Z68 and SB, but i prefere I7 2600K

Endrij says thanks.
  8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go for the i5 750/760 or i7 860/870 for now, the difference between 1156 and 1155 is not big enough to warrant a motherboard change. Of course this might change with Ivy Bridge, but as of now, that is my position.

Endrij says thanks.
  9. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Nope it's not about the chipset, the second generation i7 is based on a new architecture compared to Westmere Gulftowns, where the 2500k shines is when the workload isn't heavy threaded because on a rendering job the i7 980x still blows it out of the water.
    The reason behind the 2500k/2600k good performance is the IPC improvement brought from the new architecture if you compare 1 core of Westmere-Gulftown against 1 core of 2500k/2600k the second generation i7's come out ahead

[​IMG]

but if you pick the multi threaded benchmark the scenario becomes different with the i7 980x that comes ahead of the 2600k/2500k

[​IMG]

This is due to the core count difference.
    Anyway if you want to game on your pc don't look any further than 2600k or 2500k because games aren't so well coded and they don't use more than 4 cores (with rare exceptions, Battlefield 3 being one of them).
    If you really, really want a 6 core CPU I would suggest your the new generation based on LGA2011, Core i7 3930K or Core i7 3960X

(Images courtesy of Anandtech)

Endrij says thanks.
  10. Endrij New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is exactly what i think about.. there are these "exceptions" which will become everyday releases God knows how soon.. but i guess we won't have to wait so long?
    i thought about LGA2011 but the cpu-s you mentioned here will be horribly expensive for me - i'm sure about that.
    for the first i picked the i7-980 (not the 980x) because i know that it may be too much for gaming now but system reqs will go higher and a hexacore cpu may be "last for longer". whereas if i buy a quad core now, it will be "outdated" sooner, also i have the possibility now to use this max limit of money for upgrading.
    Maybe i'm wring with all these, how do you think? thanks!!

11. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    The i7 980 is a good CPU but I would never recommend you that for gaming because the day where multi threaded games will become the standard are very far from us.
    If you are really concerned about this just pick the 2600k-2700k(which is a 2600k with a better binning) and can address 8 threads instead of 4 of the 2500k.

Endrij says thanks.
  12. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    Get a 2500k or 2600k or a that new 2011 K cpu, don't look for s1366
    Get a nice p67 gen 3 b3 mobo, probally you won't use those useless stuff on z68 like ssd caching
    Or x79 asus/gigabyte mobo
    I say 2600k with a asrock p67 extreme3/4 gen3 mobo and grap a ivy bridge cpu in march

13. Endrij New Member

Thanks Received:
    the 2700K is indeed the most reasonable solution as i see it now.. so if i choose that along with a new mobo for it, i'll get no worse performance than with a i7-980? i guess i narrowed the possible cpus by now to that 2 cpus.. this is already great help for me, thanx for it! :)

14. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Hey Endrij!!! A good cheap cpu if you want to go that route, Xeon X3440. It's pretty much an underclocked i7 860. They cost ~190-235 USD.

EDIT:

Also meant to ask, what is your primary use for the pc?

Endrij says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Endrij New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for your suggestion, JrRacinFan! primary use would be gaming, now i guess will decide between these 2:
    http://ark.intel.com/compare/61275,58664
    seems to me now that 2700K is good but still can't get i7-980 outta my head :)
    i would need to know if the i7-980 would perform any noticably better than the 2700K. cuz i really don't mind the difference in price among them now.
    the i7-980 is definitely a better cpu (by looking at its' specs - more cores, more cache, more threads etc) but i don't know if it's better in any use for me (let's say) for the upcoming 2 years at least or more.
    i mean i'm still not sure that i need that much of a cpu, whereas radrok already said that there are games even today which get use of a cpu like i7-980..

..ok, sorry for still noobing around with this i7-980 question.

16. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    For 1 game that uses more than 4 cores there are 30 more that don't, and I'm not exaggerating... it is true really and by purchasing a 2700k you can get much more performance because of the IPC improvements, the best thing today is less but faster cores than slower but more cores.
    Also the 2700K overclocks better because it is multiplier unlocked, with the i7-980 it is more about luck because you'll need to rely on BCLK overclocking to achieve high frequencies and if your IMC on the 980 is weak you won't get more than 4,2 ghz.
    I am pretty sure that the 2700k can do ATLEAST 4,8ghz on air and probably by seeing latest results on 2700k you can get more than 5 ghz :)
    If you already had an X58 motherboard the i7-980 route would have made more sense, but since you need to purchase one there is no point, really :)

Endrij says thanks.
  17. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    I honestly don't know why you would still be bothered with the 980, I can hardly find a worse chip bang/buck than that one when it comes to gaming. x58 is dying, if you are going to move to it you might as well stick with the 1156, at least its cheaper. 980 is the better chip only if you can use all the 12 threads, seeing that you can't you are wasting your time.

18. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I still think you should stick to 1156 and not be bothered til at least Ivy Bridge hits shelves and gives a few months out on the market.

Endrij says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Endrij New Member

Thanks Received:
    hence i know shyt about cpu overclocking, i'm an easy target to be convinced by better specs at intel's site. :D however i feel like getting to understand your point:
    althought there are less cores they're faster (6 core 3.33 vs 4 core 3.5), also they perform better in terms of instructions per clock cycle (ipc), if im correct. also 2700K has integrated graphics, tho i feel like it's not an important thing for me considering my graphscard is ok.

20. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Ignore the core count, thread count and everything else and concentrate on the raw performance in game for now. If you are paying attention you will notice that the 2500K is performing better than the 980, and the difference between the 2600/2700 and the 2500 is rather limited with regards to price. From this you can easily see that the best buy for gaming is 2500K. Done. So simple, you don't even need to bother yourself with specs, they mean nothing. Just like you don't ask a girl what size is her feet or how long her fingers are when you are trying to get her in your bed.

Endrij says thanks.
  21. Endrij New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok last question.. does it mean any good or bad if a motherboard or cpu has integrated graphics? i guess i don't really need these stuff cause my videocard can handle everything very well.

22. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't matter to you don't worry, you won't be using it since you'll use a discrete graphics card :) It may come in handy for QuickSync transcoding but the driver is still at its beginning

you pretty nailed it :)

Endrij says thanks.
  23. Endrij New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanx radrok.
    so for conclusion it would be an Asus P8Z68-V Pro and Intel Core i7-2700K.
    opinions, pros, cons?

btw.. i can't find any data about the FSB speed of this motherboard tho i think it would be important to know.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  24. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Upgrading your system the way it stands is like throwing ice lollys at the sun, sure it will be fun and something different but its just going to cost you more in the long run when you want a new ice lolly cos your still parched.

Your i5 is plenty right now, I agree with JrRacinFan, its more than enough to get you by till IB.
    If you want something new you should try a new skill, overclocking just a little will give you a sense of satisfaction.

Completely up to yourself right enough.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  25. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    You mean QPI right? That doesn't matter much anymore since Intel ditched the FSB architecture and adopted the Quick Path Interconnect CPU<->Memory communications have never had any bottleneck ;)