1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

upgrading video card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by fergie087, Jan 10, 2011.

1. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    The op aint asking for a new system, A reasonable low end GPU will work just fine for a good time yet, Not everyone needs or wants a top end system to play games.

Damn i even use a mid range card on this pc as it matches my screen just fine and yes my pc might be more powerfull that the op's but i have run games on systems 10 times worse than this, Lets stop the (you need a new system crap and try help the person with there current needs).

2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    He says he wants to play games and enjoy good graphics. In order to do that, IMO, you need a dual-core at least. He's on a shitty single-core. A new PC is what nee needs, not a new GPU.

3. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    This page here might be some help guys - it looks like it might be the right one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but depending on how cheap a 5670 is, perhaps we could find the guy a processor upgrade too under or around his $100 budget.

4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    As his system is a prebuilt HP, it may not support a new CPU.

EDIT: Just checked. 64w Athlon64 X2? Is it just me, or is that very low? Also, he may need a BIOS upgrade, tho I'd reccommend that anyway.

5. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the only Athlon64 X2 I could find on a quick search on eBuyer was 95W.

Would the wattage restriction be because of motherboard power restrictions or cpu cooler limitations?

6. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that was mine, too. New PC is needed. I'm not sure about him installing a CPU himself anyway. He already said he knew nothing about computers and had to look up what things meant.

7. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    So its a good place to start, if he wants to get into building and modding (maybe he does not, but modding and gaming came hand in hand for me) I think its better he grabs a midrange card and new cpu and prints off some tutorials than having him go but 24 new parts and try to hash it all together on a first try.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Well, a new CPU isn't possible. It will only support a dual-core if it is 64w or less, and nobody sells them anymore! Even if they did, they'd be no good these days.

9. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I agree finding the cpu would be hard, he has to find it used. We are talking about the Brisbane core correct? Isn't there a 45 watt version of it?

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    IMO, I think the OP should look into an HD5770, they don't consume much more power than a 5670 but is 25-30% faster. Start saving for something like an x2 240+2x1GB ddr3, an am3 760g mobo new psu and case. Reusing all drives.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    It uses an external power connector though, I think the 56xx was suggested because it does not need one. But if he wants a 5770 I have a deal for him. :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, my point is this. Take a look at the HTPC specs. It's advertised as a 500W, but it actually is a 350W continuous 500W max. And I am using a molex-> PCIe 6 pin. Haven't had an issue at all since i've built it which has been 3 months now and the psu is about 3 1/2 yrs old.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. meran

Thanks Received:
    +1 JrRacinFan
    he can take the 5770 for now and upgrade partially

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  14. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    low res = low spec requirements. load times may suck but an old single core can still run modern games providing it's paired with a modern gpu.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Over50 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Considering the info and everyones Feedback..
    I recommend passing that PC down to a brother or sister or someone you know in need of a computer for basics, playing old games and access to the internet.
    Go out and buy a new PC , pay it in full with cash ( if possible) or get a line of Credit.

I cannot recommend that you put more money towards a low end PC for upgrade.

It really appears you would need other upgrades just to make a simple improvement,
    even after you happen to get a nice Video Card (to by-pass the Intregrated video)
    eventually you will desire to get more memory and even replace the CPU if it were possible.

I'm suggesting you get a new computer.

Last ... save your money and build your own later this year or hopefully next year 2012.
    That way you will be happier when building a project of your own to meet your satisfaction.