• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UPS recommendations

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
There is no plug-in UPS solution for what the OP wants. The only type of UPS that can solve his problem is a building wide solution located at the service entrance. That answer is posted repeatedly.

But what solves the OP's problem? Earthing a 'whole house' proetctor. Clearly the superior solution that also costs tens or 100 times less money.

Reality does not change only because one does not like what the numbers and 100 years of well proven science says.

he obviously does not find your information useful. rather than argue about it, let it go. or bring it to his pm.

he obviously does not find your information useful.
Long ago, it was never for his benefit. Demonstrated are why a majority believe myths only because it is popular hearsay. Long ago, it was not for his benefit.

First, demonstrated is why people believe a UPS does something more than provide battery backup.

Second, provided is the solution always used to avoid transient damage - even in munitions dumps. Most people have never heard of the only effective protection. Did not know why telcos suffer 100 surges with each thunderstorm - and no damage. Did not know this solution has been routine for 100 years. Did not know protection exists - for free - even where telco wires connect to your phone wires.

Why? Because earthing and a 'whole house' protector has always been the effective solution. A solution made even more effective (ie in telco switching centers) when a protector is up to 50 meters away from electronics. Locating a protector distant from the electronics increases protection. Knowledge posted for everyone else's benefit only. And denies only using popular myths, no numbers, and accusations. This is not for him. This really is for all others.

Unless others have some technical questions, I believe this well proven technology has been established - with keywords, products, and citations for further study.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Long ago, it was never for his benefit. Demonstrated are why a majority believe myths only because it is popular hearsay. Long ago, it was not for his benefit.

First, demonstrated is why people believe a UPS does something more than provide battery backup.

Second, provided is the solution always used to avoid transient damage - even in munitions dumps. Most people have never heard of the only effective protection. Did not know why telcos suffer 100 surges with each thunderstorm - and no damage. Did not know this solution has been routine for 100 years. Did not know protection exists - for free - even where telco wires connect to your phone wires.

Why? Because earthing and a 'whole house' protector has always been the effective solution. A solution made even more effective (ie in telco switching centers) when a protector is up to 50 meters away from electronics. Locating a protector distant from the electronics increases protection. Knowledge posted for everyone else's benefit only. And denies only using popular myths, no numbers, and accusations. This is not for him. This really is for all others.

Unless others have some technical questions, I believe this well proven technology has been established - with keywords, products, and citations for further study.

great. now that you've got that all out please kindly move along.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Yes. And that is not relevant. Amazing how you know 'feelings' can replace knowledge.

Have you measured lightning? Do you have any numbers? No. Which is why your posts mock rather than provide reality or contribute anything useful. Near zero knowledge corresponds to the near zero specifications you also posted.

You had protector failure and a blackened outlet because that was ineffective protection. It did exactly what the specs said. No effective protector fails that way. None. We earth a 'whole house' protector so that even direct lightning strikes blacken nothing. So effective that nobody even knew the surge existed. So effective and so inexpensive that your telco installs one on everyone's phone line - for free. But that means you might learn what has existed for generations.

UPS obviously has virtually no filtering. It does not claim to remove 'dirt'. Does not even make that claims in specs. The typical UPS in battery backup mode outputs some of the 'dirtiest' electricity. You would know this if you learned facts rather than how to disparage others.

All PCs are required to have significant filtering. Even you could learn by that filter is required by FCC regulations. If you had learned anything - other than posting insults - then you could have read that FCC requirement on every power label. But you know that filter does not exist. Furthermore, trivial transients (ie noise) do not damage any appliance. Why does the up to 270 volt from a UPS in battery backup mode not harm electronics? Electronics are so much more robust - filtering and other reasons. You might learn these numbers before posting long winded myths.

This is no longer about surge protection. Steevo provided much information you never learned. You don't want to discuss technical facts. This is about the integrity of those who recommend a scam. Who resort to insulting others when basic technical reality was not learned.

Others should learn from imperialreign's near fire. That UPS does near zero filtering. Any serious filtering already exists in electronics - especially computers. Do not waste money on devices that cannot provide protection. That do not claim that protection in manufacturer specs. That do not make the always required short connection to earth. Protection is always about where energy dissipates. Either harmlessly dissipated in earth. Or destructively inside the building - as imperialreign's damage demonstrates.

Just curious - but why do you continue to go on and on about a UPS in backup mode? Why?

I've stated it countless times before that backup mode is not what the concern is here. You again ignore the points I'm making, only to continue with your crusade.

Plus - I've already stated this home is protected from service entry issues . . . I've stated before that my only concern is with issues that are started from within the home, internal to the home's power circuits. Again, another point you continue to ignore. If you fail to grasp that issues do arise from within a home, you really must spend less time on your soap box, and more time behind the books.

So, I guess seeing as how I have no way of measuring lightinging, and you have no way of measuring lightning . . . then it's a good bet that lightning hitting a house could not possibly cause any kind of damage, right? At least, I've said that before, I've seen it first hand . . . but, seeing as how you're so intent on me explaining the path to ground - the first strike hit the westernmost side of the home, where the old analogue VHF antenna cable came through the wall to the TV. From there, through the TV into living/dining/kitchen circuit; the strike took out the TV, borked the VHS player and stereo units, took out the ceiling fan motor in the living room, the microwave in the kitchen, the PC in the dining room, failed the circuit breaker, and exited at the back of the house where the meter units are poled off from the home's foundation.

Regarding line noise - FCC regulations be damned. Those regulations are only in place to ensure that devices conform in a manner that would not cause interuptions or encroach on extremelly sensitive equipment whose operation is a necessity. Things such as interfering with radio dispatch frequencies . . . not keeping a device from emitting noise back into it's power feed. That's basic electronics. Ever hooked up a blender, hair dryer, whisk or some other device operated by a high-power motor, on the same circuit as an older analogue TV? Ever happened to notice the static banding across the display? That's interference right there - either picked up via the power source, or by the appliance's internals themself.

Back to regarding the failed protector - have you given any though to the possiblity that I was simply pulling too many watts through the unit? Suddenly turning off the rig by accident could have easily have caused a backfeed of current through the unit, causing it to fail miserably.

As well, considering the shoddy circuitry work that household electricians tend to do, it might've had more to do with the amount of workload on that individual circuit, which is tied in to 3 different rooms in this house, and the most demanding workload being my rig.

Also - I had never said I was using a UPS . . . nor did I ever say that a UPS should be used as the only form of protection. Again, you continue to prove to me that you are simply not reading my posts - instead only nit-picking them to push your argument and befuddled viewpoint, whilst accusing me of showing no factual or technical backup (while at the same time, seeming to avoid providing the same kind of info backing yourself up).

I congratulate you on having taken this thread so far off topic, trying to drive home a point that is simply not related to the OT discussion, and I'm entirelly done with it.

Just curious - but why do you continue to go on and on about a UPS in backup mode? Why?
Protection required to exist in all electronics is so robust that even 'dirtiest' electricity output by a UPS in battery backup mode causes no appliance damage. A 120v computer confronted by a spike of up to 270 volts from a UPS - perfectly clean electicity to electronics - because electronics so robust. This same spike may be harmful to less robust devices such as small electric motors and power strip surge protectors.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
alright you guys need to take it to PM. now.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore