• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB-C Chargers Are the Future: European Union Signs Common Charging Standard Into Law

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
So if you have an USB3.2 port and use an USB2.0 cable, you have the speed and power of USB3.2 ?? ;)
A lot of current smartphones that come with a USB-C plug, only support USB 2.0, yes. You don't get the faster speed and you are limited to whatever power delivery USB 2.0 supported. But the point is, you can still use your older equipment.

Even if USB 5 comes with better power delivery, your legacy USB-PD would still be able to deliver at least 100W. I think a lot of devices will continue to be fine with that.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think the following can and will happened. In a decade, when USB 5 then USB 6 will arrive, with transfer speeds of 1Tbps and over, a new cable, but also a new port will be required because of different technology . How is that going to happen then if EU only allows old ports?
1) the law has provisions for moving to future connectors if or when they arrive
2) laws change all the time
3) innovation is not the same as adoption. If the existence of a standard stops you from making an improved one, that's not due to the law, that's due to self-imposed fatalism.

This whole argument is a logical fallacy, rooted in hopelessly naïve ideas of so-called liberal capitalism. There is no contradiction between restriction and innovation - the opposite is arguably true, as constraints foster creative problem solving. The absence of a commonly agreed upon or mandated standard is in no way whatsoever a guarantee that a better solution will arrive. Nor is there any contradiction whatsoever between an open and freely available standard being mandated by law and any work towards creating an improved standard in the future - standards are replaced constantly. The literal job of most standards bodies is to maintain current standards and develop new ones. At the same time. The argument that a mandated standard is somehow contrary to innovation is pure ideological BS, promoted by corporations so that they can come up with BS proprietary solutions to squeeze more money out of customers. Like, you know, Apple has a decades-long history of doing.

Also, your ideas of future connectivity show some ... well, shall we say utopian ideas of what is possible. We're already seeing a massive drop-off in the rate of increase in I/O speeds, and we've long since run into the point where more bandwidth = more money, as cables and transcievers become increasingly expensive as bandwidth increases. USB 2.0 (5m max cable length) was cheap and 40x faster than USB 1.1. USB 3.0 (3m max cable length) wasn't that expensive, and was 10x the speed of 2.0. USB 3.2 (3m max cable length) is rather expensive, and 2x-4x the speed of 3.0. USB 4 (0.8m max cable length) is very expensive, and 2x faster than 3.2g2x2. The new USB 4 80Gbps is another 2x increase, and we're looking at TB3-like cabling and transciever costs, meaning ~1m max passive cable length sub-$100, ~2m max passive cable length no matter the cost (and those cables are overall very rare), and stupidly expensive active cables for any reasonable length. And you're somehow imagining that in a decade we'll have found a way of transferring ~12x the data of yet-to-be-released 80G USB, 24x the speed of current TB3/USB4, and that this will somehow be at a cost that is feasible for regular people? Yeah, sorry, that isn't happening. Not to forget, of course, that nobody actually needs those USB speeds. Even USB 3.2 is seeing limited adoption, let alone 3.2g2x2 or TB3. The higher you go in bandwidth, the fewer applications can actually make use of that bandwidth in a meaningful way.

Even if USB 5 comes with better power delivery, your legacy USB-PD would still be able to deliver at least 100W. I think a lot of devices will continue to be fine with that.
If anything, we need to move towards lowering power draws, not increasing them. I see no reason why increasing output power above 240W should be a goal of any future device charging standard. At that point you're looking at specialized equipment anyhow.

Only america has high percentage of apple users - not the rest of the world
They're extremely USA centric

iMessage (and Apple's refusal to adopt industry standard RCS) have helped entrench users in the US within Apple's ecosystem, everywhere else no one gives a fuck about imessage and just uses one of the dozens of aftermarket alternatives (whatsapp, signal, telegram, etc...)

You don't get the faster speed and you are limited to whatever power delivery USB 2.0 supported

Not necessarily, PD and USB specs are separate (and along with that are the non standard protocols but that's a separate and not really good thing though). Power delivery came with USB-C, USB 2.0 is way older than that.

As an example, my old Nexus 5x phone used USB-C with USB 2.0 and PD 1.something (one of the initial versions, 5V 3A for a cool 15W, not the fastest and at the time was even a bit harder to find accessories because qualcomm quickcharge was a lot more prevalent).

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Personally I miss the simple but very good barrel connector for laptops.

1000W charging for phones and laptops (which this is about, it's not meant to replace connectors for forklifts) does not sound practically useful.
I think you completely missed the exaggeration...

Market was being too slow with too many devices still making use of the older micro and even mini USB in some cases (a standard that also had to be mandated). Apple for it's side is only moving (or will only move) because it has not choice. Latest iPhone still uses the stupid lightning connector, everything else (mac, ipads) moved to USB-C because thunderbolt. Chargers moved to usb-c in a show of malicious compliance with previous rules.

EU proves once again that, although it doesn't act nearly as fast as it should, it still has some teeth.

Chargers moved to usb-c in a show of malicious compliance with previous rules. They could have ditched lightning completely at the exact same time but they choose not to.

They have a provision to move to a new standard once that exists. But USB-C is here to stay for the next couple years at least, no reason to continue shipping stuff with older connectors out of corporate lazyness.
Now that is pretty spiffy of the Europeans to have forward thinking regulation. For us Americans, our legislators do NOT forward think. We'll still have USB-C the standard in 2099 and only when the President signs an Executive Order would it be updated.

Given that I/O development is already growing massively more complicated due to massive bandwidth making signalling extremely complex, I highly doubt that we'll see any practical reason to replace USB-C in at least another decade, possibly two, for these use cases.

Laptops and other things needing more than 240W can still use barrel plugs.
A decade or two on the same connector that has already been out since 2016? Meh, we'll see especially seeing how power requirements are going through the roof. Maybe there will be some technological breakthrough that greatly reduces power draw and this connection will remain viable longer. /shrugs I could be completely overthinking this...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
So if you have an USB3.2 port and use an USB2.0 cable, you have the speed and power of USB3.2 ?? ;)
No, you have a cable that works on any device that supports those standards.

Go use a 30 pin apple cable on your iphone 13.
Go charge your pre USB-C macbook from ANYTHING that wasnt the factory charger

It's like i'm seeing deliberate hiding from reality here:

If a USB-C cable is compatible with USB 1.1 through 4.0, WHY THE F*CK would you assume it WONT be compatible with future standards, exactly as they are right now?

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
A decade or two on the same connector that has already been out since 2016? Meh, we'll see especially seeing how power requirements are going through the roof. Maybe there will be some technological breakthrough that greatly reduces power draw and this connection will remain viable longer. /shrugs I could be completely overthinking this...
Those power requirements you're talking about are for non-portable electronics only, and won't transfer over. Portable electronics are first and foremost bound by battery life and size/weight, both of which set pretty hard limits for maximum power draw. Desktop 30-series GPU increased peak TDP from 250W to 450W, yet peak mobile SKU power didn't budge - if anything the most common power levels went down slightly as thinner designs kept winning over customers. There is no new battery tech on the horizon that will make >200W mobile GPUs even remotely feasible (not that 200W mobile GPUs are feasible on battery currently either), and there's no revolution in cooling making it possible to cool such a GPU in a reasonable size and weight. So no, there really won't be any major increases in mobile power draw coming any time soon.

And besides that wildly unrealistic idea of power, what future deficiency are you imagining USB-C to have, that would necessitate a replacement connector standard within the next decade?

No, you have a cable that works on any device that supports those standards.

Go use a 30 pin apple cable on your iphone 13.
Go charge your pre USB-C macbook from ANYTHING that wasnt the factory charger

It's like i'm seeing deliberate hiding from reality here:

If a USB-C cable is compatible with USB 1.1 through 4.0, WHY THE F*CK would you assume it WONT be compatible with future standards, exactly as they are right now?
This is exactly why USB-C is such a good choice for this - it's easily adapted with passive adapters to USB-A, and natively supports signalling for a wealth of connectivity - ranging from USB 2.0 (I think 1.1 has been deprecated, but I might be wrong?) to USB4/TB4, assuming the cable is built to that spec, to DP 1.4 (and 2.0), and much more. It'll even work for future 80Gbps USB4. And with the newest PD spec supports 48V5A power - with every charger, host device and sink device supporting various fallback modes natively if any link in the chain doesn't support whatever is the highest spec available. I honestly can't see any realistic, widespread future use case where USB-C wouldn't be up to the task. >80Gbps data transfers just aren't particularly useful for most people. Nor is >240W charging. Nor >8k120 video, nor whatever else you might start imagining. USB 2.0 is still the most common connectivity standard, after all.

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I'm not mad at Apple for not using Type C(technically they "half do" you get a Type C to Lightning cable) I am more annoyed with Apple for not including a damn CHARGER anymore... I could care less what the cable end is but not actually coming with anything to plug it into is more annoying...

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm not mad at Apple for not using Type C(technically they "half do" you get a Type C to Lightning cable) I am more annoyed with Apple for not including a damn CHARGER anymore... I could care less what the cable end is but not actually coming with anything to plug it into is more annoying...
Is that actually annoying though? Don't you, like most of us, have a crapton of chargers laying around? I definitely don't want to get another charger every time I have to replace or upgrade something that uses one. It's just stupid and wasteful.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Is that actually annoying though? Don't you, like most of us, have a crapton of chargers laying around? I definitely don't want to get another charger every time I have to replace or upgrade something that uses one. It's just stupid and wasteful.
Not when they switched from USB/Lightning to TyoeC/Lightning. Yes thankfully I do have more than one USB Apple charger and USB/Lightning cables. What I don’t have is a single TypeC charger unless you count the one that came with my Oculus which I certainly wouldn’t plug my phone or iPad into.
So guess who would be forced to buy yet “another charger”?

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not when they switched from USB/Lightning to TyoeC/Lightning. Yes thankfully I do have more than one USB Apple charger and USB/Lightning cables. What I don’t have is a single TypeC charger unless you count the one that came with my Oculus which I certainly wouldn’t plug my phone or iPad into.
So guess who would be forced to buy yet “another charger”?
PD chargers are dirt cheap, widely available, and offer high outputs useful for charging a variety of products, so ... meh. You need a charger, go buy one for $30-40 that can charge most if not all of your devices, and you're set for years and years. If you need more than one, you have solutions like this three-pack of Anker 20W chargers for $30 - that's just $10 apiece. Next to the $600+ purchase of an iPhone, who cares? The extra cost is negligible; the environmental benefits are massive. And it's a one-time thing, and it saves you from accumulating a drawer full of e-waste that you don't need. For your older chargers, just get a few packs of A-to-C-adapters like these or something even cheaper - they're cheap, widely available, and do what you need. The scale of this "problem" is tiny, and if you're letting it actually get to the level of being annoying, you're approaching this all wrong.

Also, why wouldn't you plug your phone or iPad into your Oculus charger? If it's a PD USB-C charger, it's universal by default. That's the entire point. If the charger is available and you need it, why not use it?

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)

LOL, I think I have about six of their 5W chargers from previous iPhone and iPod purchases. I have higher capacity ones for iPads. And I have other USB chargers from other devices. I have travel chargers that have 2+ USB ports and home chargers that have 4+ USB ports. It's not like I need another USB charger.

I completely agree with Apple's choice to not include a charger in the box with recent iPhones.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
PD chargers are dirt cheap, widely available, and offer high outputs useful for charging a variety of products, so ... meh. You need a charger, go buy one for $30-40 that can charge most if not all of your devices, and you're set for years and years. If you need more than one, you have solutions like this three-pack of Anker 20W chargers for $30 - that's just $10 apiece. Next to the $600+ purchase of an iPhone, who cares? The extra cost is negligible; the environmental benefits are massive. And it's a one-time thing, and it saves you from accumulating a drawer full of e-waste that you don't need. For your older chargers, just get a few packs of A-to-C-adapters like these or something even cheaper - they're cheap, widely available, and do what you need. The scale of this "problem" is tiny, and if you're letting it actually get to the level of being annoying, you're approaching this all wrong.

Also, why wouldn't you plug your phone or iPad into your Oculus charger? If it's a PD USB-C charger, it's universal by default. That's the entire point. If the charger is available and you need it, why not use it?
Your still arguing against your argument about another charger is exactly what you're telling I'm supposed to do....
The Oculus chargrer is only 10W don't think I haven't checked

LOL, I think I have about six of their 5W chargers from previous iPhone and iPod purchases. I have higher capacity ones for iPads. And I have other USB chargers from other devices. I have travel chargers that have 2+ USB ports and home chargers that have 4+ USB ports. It's not like I need another USB charger.

I completely agree with Apple's choice to not include a charger in the box with recent iPhones.
I generally use my iPad Charger if I want a "quick charge"

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Your still arguing against your argument about another charger is exactly what you're telling I'm supposed to do....
The Oculus chargrer is only 10W don't think I haven't checked
As I said, your old chargers still work, adapters if necessary are dirt cheap, and debundling means they stop sending out new chargers with every new device, a large proportion of which are inevitably just stuffed in a drawer and forgotten until they are thrown away. I see absolutely no problem with this practice whatsoever.

System Name My main PC - C2D
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 320x10 (3200MHz) w/ Scythe Ninja rev.B + 120mm fan
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (Intel P35 + ICH9R chipset, socket 775)
Cooling Scythe Ninja rev.B + 120mm fan | 250mm case fan on side | 120mm PSU fan
Memory 4x 1GB Kingmax MARS DDR2 800 CL5
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATi Radeon HD4890
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 250GB SATAII, 16MB cache, 7200 rpm
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 757DFX, 17“ CRT, max: 1920x1440 @64Hz
Case Aplus CS-188AF case with 250mm side fan
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889A onboard 7.1, with Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Power Supply Chieftec 450W (GPS450AA-101A) /w 120mm fan
Software Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit / Windows 7 Beta1 64bit (dual boot)
Benchmark Scores none
Question, did anyone notice what's the MINIMUM power required? I ask because I can see sad future where Samsung charger charges 100W to Samsung phone, but 5W to Apple phone, and vice versa. 100W from spec is maximum, and everyone keeps repeating that, but I really want to know if EU (or USB-IF) declared a minimum.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
A lot of current smartphones that come with a USB-C plug, only support USB 2.0, yes. You don't get the faster speed and you are limited to whatever power delivery USB 2.0 supported. But the point is, you can still use your older equipment.

Actually, this isn't quite true, you can have a 240 Watt charging cable that is USB 2.0 for data. This is perfectly acceptable according to the USB spec.

I really dislike phone makers that still think USB 2.0 is good enough though, there's really no reason why USB 2.0 should be acceptable for data connections on any modern phone where the chipset supports USB 3.x.

Question, did anyone notice what's the MINIMUM power required? I ask because I can see sad future where Samsung charger charges 100W to Samsung phone, but 5W to Apple phone, and vice versa. 100W from spec is maximum, and everyone keeps repeating that, but I really want to know if EU (or USB-IF) declared a minimum.
USB PD is a spec that supports a wide range of Voltages and if your device supports what's know as PPS mode, it supports even more Voltages.
5 Volts is the baseline, with 9, 15 and 20 Volts being the next steps. PPS does 3.3 to 21.0 Volts and should be able to do it in steps of 20 mV.
The EU seems to be mandating USB PD 3.0, which the above Voltages are for.
USB PD 3.1 adds 28, 36 and 48 Volts, but all are still limited to 5 Ampere.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
That wouldn't be compliant with the PD spec, so there's no reason to worry about that. With PD, the voltage and current are negotiated between the device and charger, bases on what the source can provide and what the sink asks for. I guess it would be technically possible to design a nominally-compliant charger controller that only afforded its full output to certain sinks, but that would be labor intensive and expensive while only serving to piss off the USB-IF and European Commission.

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 320x10 (3200MHz) w/ Scythe Ninja rev.B + 120mm fan
Benchmark Scores none
@Valantar @TheLostSwede OK that's all true. But I still can't find THE minimum to satisfy the specs. I've seen articles with 15W PD 3.0 ports being mentioned. So if they support 1.5A and 3.3-9V that would still be in spec but only 13.5W. They don't need to purposely limit the "competition" but they can say ok, our device eg. mouse only needs 1.5A/3V charger and we'll make a 4.5W charger. If you use that also for phone it will work, but will still be barely useful. Apply that to eg 13.5W charger above and using it to charge a larger device as tablet. Spec mentiones "up to 60W" and "up to 100W with certified cable". It also has range of certifications from 30/60/100W. New logos for data are 5/10/20/40/(80 in future) Gbps and for power 60/100/240W. But all are maximums. From what I read 5V is required, but 1.5A and 5V is still just 7.5W. Not sure if 9V is required or optional part of spec, neither if the 2A/3A are required or optional. Don't get me wrong, I know device can negotiate even just 3.3V/500mA maybe even less, but that's negotiation to preserve battery. But is there a minimum limit for PD 3.0 device (charger/port/cable) to still be in spec, and would that end up something very low like 5-7W or would it be at least 15-25W or whatever.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
@Valantar @TheLostSwede OK that's all true. But I still can't find THE minimum to satisfy the specs. I've seen articles with 15W PD 3.0 ports being mentioned. So if they support 1.5A and 3.3-9V that would still be in spec but only 13.5W. They don't need to purposely limit the "competition" but they can say ok, our device eg. mouse only needs 1.5A/3V charger and we'll make a 4.5W charger. If you use that also for phone it will work, but will still be barely useful. Apply that to eg 13.5W charger above and using it to charge a larger device as tablet. Spec mentiones "up to 60W" and "up to 100W with certified cable". It also has range of certifications from 30/60/100W. New logos for data are 5/10/20/40/(80 in future) Gbps and for power 60/100/240W. But all are maximums. From what I read 5V is required, but 1.5A and 5V is still just 7.5W. Not sure if 9V is required or optional part of spec, neither if the 2A/3A are required or optional. Don't get me wrong, I know device can negotiate even just 3.3V/500mA maybe even less, but that's negotiation to preserve battery. But is there a minimum limit for PD 3.0 device (charger/port/cable) to still be in spec, and would that end up something very low like 5-7W or would it be at least 15-25W or whatever.
Sorry, but I answered your question.
USB PD support from 0.5A to 5A and the Voltages I listed.
Anything below 0.5A would be when the charger has finished charging the battery and going in to maintainance mode.

If your concern are about specific charger, well, that's a different matter.
Companies sell various chargers with different output options, so you're simply going to have to read the specs for the specific charger.
I'd recommend that you watch this YouTube channel.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores none
Sorry, but I answered your question.
USB PD support from 0.5A to 5A and the Voltages I listed.
Anything below 0.5A would be when the charger has finished charging the battery and going in to maintainance mode.

If your concern are about specific charger, well, that's a different matter.
Companies sell various chargers with different output options, so you're simply going to have to read the specs for the specific charger.
I'd recommend that you watch this YouTube channel.

Sorry but you didn't answer, as by your logic you could have 30mA/5V charger and be in spec.

I did manage to find the better info in meantime:
"USB 1.1 mandated power delivery of 2.5W (5V, 500mA) and USB 3.0 brought this up to 4.5W (5V, 900mA).

The USB Battery Charging Specification (USB BC), released in August 2007, increased the power further up to 7.5W (5V, 1.5A)"

"The power rules introduced in USB PD 2.0 stipulate multiple normative voltages and current, to promote smoother power delivery and consumption among devices. The rules also established five supportable power-supply levels—15W, 27W, 45W, 60W, and 100W—with normative voltage and current determined by the power supply to be supported. For example, a provider capable of 15W must support 5V, 3A; while a provider of 45W must support all the following: 5V 3A; 9V 3A; and 15V 3A."

"If the USB cable in use has not passed USB-IF certification tests, for example, system policy will not allow power flowing through that cable to exceed 2.5W (5V, 0.5A)."

So in short, any PD 3.0 charger should offer at least 15W capability if cable is certified and end device is capable of PD 3.0, while obviously negotiating between 0-15W depending on end device. If cable is unsuitable it will drop to 2.5W (USB 1.1 requirement). Charger that's not capable of 15W is not PD 3.0 compliant, and thus shouldn't be sold with new devices after EU rule kicks in.

My current phone uses 22.5W which is "good enough" in practical use. Going down to 15W worst case is drop by a third (33.33%) which is noticable but iz would still be OK. Next step is 27W so most midrange and above phones will probably go with that, and that's faster than what I have now. Phones like S22 (base model) are 25W so would logically be 27W. Phones like S22 Plus/Ultra are 45W so will probably keep 45W under PD 3.0 (or step to 60W). And so on.

No new device with charger after 2024 should be below 15W.

You're way overthinking this.

Say your mouse bundled a 4.5W charger (when did mouses bundled chargers? anyway, say it did), that charger will charge at max 4.5W and be slow as fuck to charge a phone. But it's still compatible.

Previous example, samsung makes whatever 100w charger. They can't make it incompatible with an iPhone without violating the PD spec, the iPhone asks for less power (whatever apple designed for) and the samsung charger has to provide it. Just like laptop usb chargers, say 65w (common size for a small laptop brick), it will charge any old phone at whatever max that phone charges.

USB PD requires negotiation and it will go to whatever the lowest common denominator is (push comes to shove, the 5V 500mA is always available, slow but it works)

Current is controlled by the sinking device (within certain constrains, usb psu design is complicated, if it gets too low protections will trigger, but still), if the iphone asks to be charged slow at 5v 1A it will get that drip feed from a 100w charger no problem if that charger meets the PD specifications.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sorry but you didn't answer, as by your logic you could have 30mA/5V charger and be in spec.
I did, but you decided you wanted a different answer.
I did manage to find the better info in meantime:
"USB 1.1 mandated power delivery of 2.5W (5V, 500mA) and USB 3.0 brought this up to 4.5W (5V, 900mA).

The USB Battery Charging Specification (USB BC), released in August 2007, increased the power further up to 7.5W (5V, 1.5A)"

None of which are USB PD.
USB BC has been depreciated for quite some time.
"The power rules introduced in USB PD 2.0 stipulate multiple normative voltages and current, to promote smoother power delivery and consumption among devices. The rules also established five supportable power-supply levels—15W, 27W, 45W, 60W, and 100W—with normative voltage and current determined by the power supply to be supported. For example, a provider capable of 15W must support 5V, 3A; while a provider of 45W must support all the following: 5V 3A; 9V 3A; and 15V 3A."

Again, depreciated and replaced with USB PD 3.0. Wattages are as you should know, a combination of Volts times Amps.
"If the USB cable in use has not passed USB-IF certification tests, for example, system policy will not allow power flowing through that cable to exceed 2.5W (5V, 0.5A)."
Not true. I don't know where you found this.
What you need, is a USB PD emarker in the cables if your device draws more than 3 Ampere.
So in short, any PD 3.0 charger should offer at least 15W capability if cable is certified and end device is capable of PD 3.0, while obviously negotiating between 0-15W depending on end device. If cable is unsuitable it will drop to 2.5W (USB 1.1 requirement). Charger that's not capable of 15W is not PD 3.0 compliant, and thus shouldn't be sold with new devices after EU rule kicks in.
It would be quite pointless to get a really low Wattage charger anyhow, I really don't get what you're after here.
My current phone uses 22.5W which is "good enough" in practical use. Going down to 15W worst case is drop by a third (33.33%) which is noticable but iz would still be OK. Next step is 27W so most midrange and above phones will probably go with that, and that's faster than what I have now. Phones like S22 (base model) are 25W so would logically be 27W. Phones like S22 Plus/Ultra are 45W so will probably keep 45W under PD 3.0 (or step to 60W). And so on.

No new device with charger after 2024 should be below 15W.
I dout you'll be able to find a USB PD charger that is rated at less than 20 Watts, since a 20 Watt charger can deliver less power.
Again, I really don't understand what you're after here.
You ask a question about minimum specs and then start going on about what is the lowest legal USB PD charger to be able to be sold is.
Whats the relevance? A sensible person wouldn't buy a crappy charger and besides, if you want to charge something else than your phone, say a tablet or a laptop, you're going to want a 65 Watt rated charger or better.
The whole point here is that we now have a charging standard that can output mulitple Voltages at up to 5 Amps (depending on the charger) that alows use to use a single charger to charge multiple types of devices. Why are you looking for the worst possible scenario?

Benchmark Scores none
Point isn't buying yet another charger, but reusing one you get with assorted devices. Otherwise we aren't cutting on waste but creating even more. Sure, mouse charger was a bit of a caricature just to get to point, but eg. if I buy tablet, laptop and a phone, I'll probably get 3 chargers which I can then just use for example one in office, one at home, one for emergencies/travel, instead carrying all 3 with me. So if lowest they'd be allowed to pack is 5W that'd be pretty useless even for that "emergency" use. But if I get 25W (phone), 60W (tablet) and 100W (laptop) then that slowest 25W is still kind of ok for emergencies, and sure enough as we already knew those 60W/100W will easily charge anything from 0.1W to 100W. I'll go back to that mouse, sure, you've never seen anyone pack a charger because they're saving money and on a 20$ mouse adding 10$ charger would be dumb so they add that joke of 15cm cable at best that costs pennies. And trust me, those phones that currently charge with micro USB won't rush to pack a 60W charger, they'll pinch pennies and pack lowest they are legally allowed. So if lowest that PD 3.0 allows is 15W - that's exactly what we will get.

As for asking questions and then wanting different answer, @TheLostSwede , my only fault is not being clear enough resulting in you not understanding question in the first (second or third) place. I have asked 3x what is the minimum allowed spec. I'm unsure how is that hard to grasp. I didn't ask what's the lowest current it can provide, I can read just about everywhere that PD negotiates and varies in small 30mA & mV steps, but I did not ask that. When I ask what's lowest legal speed of a car on a highway you don't answer that car can go 0-100km/h. There is a legal MINIMUM in some countries and you aren't allowed to drive a tractor at 5km/h on highway, you need to go 60km/h at least. Same way I wanted to know lowest "legal" (in-spec) wattage that charger must provide for it to be called USB PD 3.0 certified. And so far answer looks to be - "same as PD 2.0 which starts at 15W".

Quotes I gave were historical as I bolded word MANDATED just for your eyes, so you can see that USB 1.1 at first MANDATED 2.5W, then USB 3.0 brought that to 5W, and finally PD 2.0 brought that to 15W. PD 3.0 did not change that so no quote, yet PD 2.0 isn't obsolete or deprecated because PD 3.0 builds on it.

Btw this was my source:

But hey, if they were wrong so am I. I guess I should now get my evening reading, they say it's "just" 410 pages of USB specs... It might be easy to get lost in translation when original work is 410 pages of specs.

Last edited:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Actually, this isn't quite true, you can have a 240 Watt charging cable that is USB 2.0 for data. This is perfectly acceptable according to the USB spec.

I really dislike phone makers that still think USB 2.0 is good enough though, there's really no reason why USB 2.0 should be acceptable for data connections on any modern phone where the chipset supports USB 3.x.
I didn't that is all you get, I was just saying that's the minimum that can be expected.

Also, yes, USB 2.0 sucks for data transfer, but then again, everyone wants you to store your data in their cloud, they won't make it easy for you to move it around locally.

And another thing that I hate is that while phones do come with a USB-C plug, most chargers still come with USB-A. Ever migrated data on your Android phone, only to be asked to plug your charging cable into both phones for speedier data transfer? Good luck, when your charging cable is USB-C on one end and USB-A on the other.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
@LuxZg there is no "minimum" spec, as there's no need for such a thing. 20 Watts seems to be the lowest Wattage for USB PD chargers in the market, most are 30 Watts or higher, as it doesn't make sense making weak USB PD charagers.
When people ask for minimum specs and we're discussing a specification, it's a bit hard to grasp that you were talking about the physical chargers, even though, in all fairness, the article was about chargers.
This is admittedly about the EU as well, but keep in mind that USB PD devices are used globally and that there will be different "minimum" spec in different parts of the world.

For anyone thinking about getting a USB PD charger, get something decent, especially if it has more than one port, since the output sharing can be a bit strange, so the main port gets 75% of the output power and the secondary one gets 25% or something along those lines.

And another thing that I hate is that while phones do come with a USB-C plug, most chargers still come with USB-A. Ever migrated data on your Android phone, only to be asked to plug your charging cable into both phones for speedier data transfer? Good luck, when your charging cable is USB-C on one end and USB-A on the other.
That's a Qualcomm Quick Charge remenant, which should be going away.
My Pixel 6 came with a USB-C to USB-C cable, albeit a USB 2.0 cable, even though the phone can do USB 3.x speeds.

The main reason for the USB 2.0 data speeds, is because you get a relatively thin and flexible cable, compared to the ones that does higher speeds.
I bought a "fancy" Lindy 20 Gbps cable and it's anything but flexible and the same goes with the 20 Gbps cable that came with my monitor.
My guess here is that the phone makers don't want to "scare" consumer by including a really stiff cable, while at the same time, they can save some money by bundling a much cheaper USB 2.0 data cable.

Reactions: bug

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
The main reason for the USB 2.0 data speeds, is because you get a relatively thin and flexible cable, compared to the ones that does higher speeds.
I bought a "fancy" Lindy 20 Gbps cable and it's anything but flexible and the same goes with the 20 Gbps cable that came with my monitor.
My guess here is that the phone makers don't want to "scare" consumer by including a really stiff cable, while at the same time, they can save some money by bundling a much cheaper USB 2.0 data cable.
It could be packaging thing. A thinner cable can be bent more tightly and takes a lot less room in the box. Though I figure you could wrap the cable around the phone or something like that if it was thicker.
Or, like you said, it could be a cost saving thing.