• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB drive "Access denied" error

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)
Hey all,

I'm using an OCZ diesel 4gb usb memory stick to transfer some stuffs between my house computer and the school computers and I tried to open up the drive through My Computer on the school's computers and it continually says access denied. It's never done that before so I'm slightly confused. I opened up its properties and it just has everything as blank. Is this a sign that the data on the stick went corrupt, or is the drive in the death process OR is this just another wonderful example of how wonderfully terrible my school's computers are?

Edit: I just switched to a different computer in the school and it works now??? I'm definitely not complaining but now am more curious? Anyone up for posing possible reasons as to why? I know I read that there are a few viruses or 3rd party apps that can conflict with USB drives. Unfortunately, I can't test anything because all admin stuffs are blocked.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It could be a sign of the drive going bad, or it could just be a problem with the USB port on the first computer. Either way, I'd make sure you have backups of anything on the drive(you should do this with any external storage device).