• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB Flash Drive appear as multiple devices

TheMcGoose

I just bought a new 16 Gig USB 2.0 flash drive, I would like to seperate it into two devices so I can use about 4 Gig for my Xbox 360 crap, and have the remaining 12 Gig or so for school stuff as well as whatever I need it for, can anyone help me do this? I'm running Snow Leopard but I have parallels if you can only give advice for PC programs or operations

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Sounds like you not only want it to be separate drives, but you may also need it to be different formats? First thing I would do is try to partition it, but I could only tell you how to do so in Windows...

I just bought a new 16 Gig USB 2.0 flash drive, I would like to seperate it into two devices so I can use about 4 Gig for my Xbox 360 crap, and have the remaining 12 Gig or so for school stuff as well as whatever I need it for, can anyone help me do this? I'm running Snow Leopard but I have parallels if you can only give advice for PC programs or operations

The short answer is that you cannot do this.

Here is the reason:
The Xbox and mac both see a flash drive as removable media, and thus only allow one partition to be created on the media. The mac may allow the flash drive to be mounted as a normal drive (and thus have multipple partitions), but it still would be incompatible with your xbox's settings.

The xbox formatting also overwrites all other data on a thumb drive. You are best off with a cheaper lower speed 4GB drive dedicated to the xbox, and using the 16GB to stores school files.

TheMcGoose

Sounds like you not only want it to be separate drives, but you may also need it to be different formats? First thing I would do is try to partition it, but I could only tell you how to do so in Windows...

I have parallels running on my mac so if you could tell me how to partition it that would be swell

TheMcGoose

Here is the reason:
The Xbox and mac both see a flash drive as removable media, and thus only allow one partition to be created on the media. The mac may allow the flash drive to be mounted as a normal drive (and thus have multipple partitions), but it still would be incompatible with your xbox's settings.

The xbox formatting also overwrites all other data on a thumb drive. You are best off with a cheaper lower speed 4GB drive dedicated to the xbox, and using the 16GB to stores school files.

Thanks, and if I am unable to format it correctly, I guess I will be either going without, or buying another drive

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Format it fat32 on the pc then when you put it in the 360 format it with custom settings and make tell the xbox to only use 2gb or something.
The xbox partition should be secondary and hidden by default in windows/mac.

TheMcGoose

Here is the reason:

Thanks, and if I am unable to format it correctly, I guess I will be either going without, or buying another drive

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
i just tried the above what i just did on my 2gb forza usb stick and it works fine, the 360 don't partition it it makes hidden folder for its data.

TheMcGoose

@Batou1968
Thanks, I shall try that momentarily

It worked, thanks

And thank you to everyone

Last edited: