• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB Sound Cards Explained: Tech, Benefits, Do I Need One?

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
Why do you need a good quality USB sound card, and how can such a device improve your everyday life? We're taking a deep dive into the world of PC audio to figure out when it makes sense to upgrade our integrated sound cards and what to upgrade them with.

Show full review

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Looked into moving from internal to external a while ago. But turns out all of these USB devices are a downgrade compared to my Sound Blaster ZxR. The Sound Blaster X7 would be a sidegrade and i will end up with a huge box on my desk.

Gonna stick with the ZxR for another 10 years most likely as i don't use a Mic anyways.

(onboard still sucks, tried it for fun some months ago)

Rokugan

Same here, Sound Blaster ZxR with 4x Burson V6 Opamp, I haven't found any real upgrade since:

I can tell you that those opamps do make a very real difference, no other card will be able to compete.

Tbh nowadays for movies and games, I use HDMI over my AVR with a full 7.2.4 Home Cinema setup.
The sound card is used only for stereo music listening with another pair of external speakers.

System Name Uzuki Toune
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 7700X (ASUS PBO 90C Mode)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Frostspirit 140 White V3 ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR6000 CL36 Kingston (EXPO)(16GBx2)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050TI
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Crucial P2 + 480GB Samsung Evo 850 + 480GB Kingston A400
Display(s) Dell U2723QE + Philips 221V8 (Portrait)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-FI Forte + Onboard Realtek 4080 -> Creative Gigaworks T40II
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 (Work) & G103 (Play)
Keyboard iRocks K71M
Software Windows 11 Professional
Thankfully, every device capable of playing music is equipped with an amplifier of some kind

I kinda disagree with this statement. Can VSG maybe chime in on this since he did some reviews on USB DACs. There are reviews here on TPU (no need to hunt from other places) that review DAC + AMP stacks/combos. You can buy the DAC or AMP by itself separately, or as a combo. I seriously doubt the USB DAC by itself in this case is usable with headphones even though it may still have some kind of amplifier in it. This statement can mislead people to think they can save money by just buying a really good DAC that they think is at a bargain price without realizing it doesn't have an amp. Buying a DAC + AMP in a combo is usually cheaper since its usually sold at a bundle price most of the time.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
These are garbage and have no place in my PC, to be honest. Buy Schiit or similar if you're after a good DAC. Connections, op-amps, everything is going to be better and not necessarily for a whole lot more expensive than these, either. TPU should stop being sponsored by these gamer stuff. You want good audio, you buy quality audio brands.

My mom had a pair of Mackie's connected to onboard, they were not only cheap but the setup will blow Creative's attempts out of the water as far as speakers go.

Sound cards are half arsed EMI burdens as well. People need to realize these already.

System Name It does stuff
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B550 Gaming X V2
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage Too much
Display(s) 27" & 21.5"
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DGX / Sony MDR-XB500s
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Software Win10 64
Google "creative daniel_k" to find out why creative deserves bankruptcy and why they'll never get a penny from me.

System Name SunMaster special
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 420 AIO
Memory 4x16GB@3800
Video Card(s) Nvidia 970
Storage WD Black SN850 512GB
Display(s) 2x Philips BDM3270
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GA 850
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 11
"controversial Master Quality Authenticated (MQA)."

Not sure why anyone would consider MQA anything but a hoax/scam.

These are garbage and have no place in my PC, to be honest. Buy Schiit or similar if you're after a good DAC. Connections, op-amps, everything is going to be better and not necessarily for a whole lot more expensive than these, either. TPU should stop being sponsored by these gamer stuff. You want good audio, you buy quality audio brands.

My mom had a pair of Mackie's connected to onboard, they were not only cheap but the setup will blow Creative's attempts out of the water as far as speakers go.

Sound cards are half arsed EMI burdens as well. People need to realize these already.
Yep, bit-perfect to a decent DAC. Then, it's up to users' specific needs, e.g. headphones, amps, etc.

These soundcards (yes, basically they just get sound out of them) are nothing but flashy, overpriced garbage.
Most of them can't even decode DSD, let alone DXD, let alone in high bitrates.

They are noisy because they use cheap components and cheap designs. They only tout some glorified DAC chips they use but that's pretty much it.
For the price one can get a really decent DAC, iFi, Schiit and some others come to mind.

"controversial Master Quality Authenticated (MQA)."

Not sure why anyone would consider MQA anything but a hoax/scam.
The cringe of MQA! Ughhh! :fear:

I kinda disagree with this statement. Can VSG maybe chime in on this since he did some reviews on USB DACs. There are reviews here on TPU (no need to hunt from other places) that review DAC + AMP stacks/combos. You can buy the DAC or AMP by itself separately, or as a combo. I seriously doubt the USB DAC by itself in this case is usable with headphones even though it may still have some kind of amplifier in it. This statement can mislead people to think they can save money by just buying a really good DAC that they think is at a bargain price without realizing it doesn't have an amp. Buying a DAC + AMP in a combo is usually cheaper since its usually sold at a bundle price most of the time.
Most decent DAC have decent amps built-in. They can drive 300-600Ohm earphones with ease.

If someone is ready to buy a $1500 DAC just because they heard it's a good thing, i.e. without them doing at least some research, they deserve to be bamboozled when they find out it also needs an amp/preamp. IMO.

harby13

Couple of months ago I decided to buy a G6 to replace my aging xonar d2x which was misbehaving badly. I originally wanted a schiit fulla or hel but it would have costed me almost double the msrp to get it here in Greece.

I was sceptical because I don't exactly hold sound blaster to high regard but every review praised the thing way too much.

And tbh they weren't wrong. This little dacamp is awesome if all you need it good stereo and not multichannel and dont wanna spend more than a hundred bucks give or take.

D

Deleted member 24505

I'm using a Cambridge DacMagic 100 to a Onkyo CR-715DAB/yamaha sub and Cambridge Minx min12 speakers. Haven't bothered with a internal soundcard for a long time.

Couple of months ago I decided to buy a G6 to replace my aging xonar d2x which was misbehaving badly. I originally wanted a schiit fulla or hel but it would have costed me almost double the msrp to get it here in Greece.

I was sceptical because I don't exactly hold sound blaster to high regard but every review praised the thing way too much.

And tbh they weren't wrong. This little dacamp is awesome if all you need it good stereo and not multichannel and dont wanna spend more than a hundred bucks give or take.
For a hundred bucks you can get a FiiO or similar USB dongle that would A) sound better, B) decode more formats C) is portable and you can hook it to a mobile in your pocket.

Being the longest user for Creative sound card and onboard sound.
The biggest issue I had with Creative sound card are drivers, it tend to bug out especially with Windows 10 periodic update.
As well as if you are using AMD Ryzen PC, Creative sound cards can have issue with Ryzen PCs.

I still have a Creative sound blaster Z on a Windows 7 Intel PC it works flawlessly but if I use on Windows 10.
There are lots of issue so not sure about these newer one which I dare not try.
A dedicated USB DAC or sound interface will definitely be better than these cards.

Not to mention for proper functionality and feature, you have to install the correct driver package for it work properly.
Onboard audio wise, some onboard audio are better especially Realtek Drivers are much stable with Windows 10.
The onboard audio that are featured on ASUS STRIX Motherboard are exceptional, it also have option to let you
increase the sound output by three options under the Amplify option.

As well as jack sensing and the sound card can detect the ohmn of the headphone so it can drive properly.
So it depends what headphone and speaker you are using.

However some headphones and speaker have USB connection, a DAC will not be necessary.
If the motherboard have crappy onboard sound codec, just use a USB headphone or speaker.
Unless you are into recording or into pro audio than you probably will want to invest in a dedicated USB DAC or sound interface or even a mixer.

Last edited:
I've got a few. One PC has a schiit fulla, other has a steelseries game dac (suprisingly good for a gaming company), and I have a hillidac which can work on PC or my iPhone. All of these also contain an amp in the package. These guys are lesser known https://mayflowerelectronics.com/ but I have that work.

The better the headphones, even IEMs, the more you need to drive them. You can get a good desktop option for 100-300, and a good portable one in the same range.

It's really not all that expensive and the improvement is massive.

I've got a few. One PC has a schiit fulla, other has a steelseries game dac (suprisingly good for a gaming company), and I have a hillidac which can work on PC or my iPhone. All of these also contain an amp in the package. These guys are lesser known https://mayflowerelectronics.com/ but I have that work.

The better the headphones, even IEMs, the more you need to drive them. You can get a good desktop option for 100-300, and a good portable one in the same range.

It's really not all that expensive and the improvement is massive.
IEM are another type of beast. They have their own needs and many DAC/amps neglect to address these.
Sadly, there is no 'one-fits-all' solution when we talk about audio.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Same here, Sound Blaster ZxR with 4x Burson V6 Opamp, I haven't found any real upgrade since:

I can tell you that those opamps do make a very real difference, no other card will be able to compete.

Tbh nowadays for movies and games, I use HDMI over my AVR with a full 7.2.4 Home Cinema setup.
The sound card is used only for stereo music listening with another pair of external speakers.
Looked into those once, but can't fit that in my PC, and the dangly wire solution isn't what i want to go with either.

AE-9 would be an upgrade, but i don't like that it requires the external volume control in order to plug in the headphones.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Software Win 10 Pro
'one-fits-all' solution about audio.

Something like this might come close, it's sort of crappy but some stuff like this have BT, this one can power phantom mics as well. It was dirt cheap on a music store site... at least still better than Creative, lol.

impact-ip-120-usb-120w-100v-anfi-mp3lu-10364-35-B.jpg

Something like this might come close, it's sort of crappy but some stuff like this have BT, this one can power phantom mics as well. It was dirt cheap on a music store site... at least still better than Creative, lol.

View attachment 246405
Honestly, pretty much everything is better than Creative. xD

EDIT: @X71200 - your pic reminds me of a guy at ASR. Could that really be you?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
It is just another English language profanity calling a card a thing that is not even close to it. Like calling power and current - wattage and amperage, no other languages allow such disgrace, those were actually surnames of significant people. There usually are no cards you slide in as an expansion via USB. If they look like it, people call it dongles etc.

Most stores and sane makers use the term Audio Interface... like here in Thomann. It precisely describes what it might be.

Another topic is the ideological mish mash what DAC really is, component/block wise then adding some blocks like amplifier, headphone amplifier etc... and make it as a distinctive device, who told anyone to do that? Because those are fake news. Each device has their own design and the term DOES NOT EXPLAIN ANYTHING it might have or not.

First of all most USB audio interfaces consist of a very important bit - USB to i2s/DSD driver IC, okay let it even be vintage 1394, whatever, it talks to the real DAC IC and it may have additional MCU for controls, effects, resample etc ie in software mode, if Hardware mode is used, it can be gimped. Yes there are AIO ICs that include built in USB and SPDIF communication blocks and yes also headphone amplifiers, power supply and become to look like a Realtek Codec jack of all trades and good for nothing. But in reality all those things are still split. Where does the term USB Sound card come in? Because it has more knobs? Hillarious and beyond stupid. A standalone USB interface may hold inside more sophisticated modular solution that the so called USB sound card despite the simple looks and few I/O ports.

Where did the term USB sound card come from? Chinglish maybe? I have no idea - simpletons and reviewers that shout the nonsense further for the sake of simplicity. The attempt at explaining things here - what is what... is kinda waaaay off, despte Creative is paying for the tune.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Power Supply AX1500i
Software Win 10 Pro
Honestly, pretty much everything is better than Creative. xD

EDIT: @X71200 - your pic reminds me of a guy at ASR. Could that really be you?

I'm more off shape now and turning 30... but will get back on lifting and stuff some time. :)

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA
Keyboard Logitech K400 Plus
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
All I am gonna say, you gotta pry my EVGA Nu Audio from my cold dead hands :toast:

Processor 3900X 4.425
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Power Supply AX1500i
Software Win 10 Pro
All I am gonna say, you gotta pry my EVGA Nu Audio from my cold dead hands :toast:

Experience lifelike 7.1 audio from EVGA! Oh what am I saying, Yamaha HS5 on sale... lols.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1

Just to clarify, you can find all three types of devices: just DACs, just amplifiers, and DAC/amp combos. A DAC can't produce sound on its own (needs an amplifier), and an amplifier can't produce sound from a digital source on its own either (needs a DAC). So when I wrote "every device capable of playing sound...", what I meant was a device that has both a DAC and an amplifier in it.

It is just another English language profanity calling a card a thing that is not even close to it. Like calling power and current - wattage and amperage, no other languages allow such disgrace, those were actually surnames of significant people. There usually are no cards you slide in as an expansion via USB. If they look like it, people call it dongles etc.

Most stores and sane makers use the term Audio Interface... like here in Thomann. It precisely describes what it might be.

Another topic is the ideological mish mash what DAC really is, component/block wise then adding some blocks like amplifier, headphone amplifier etc... and make it as a distinctive device, who told anyone to do that? Because those are fake news. Each device has their own design and the term DOES NOT EXPLAIN ANYTHING it might have or not.

First of all most USB audio interfaces consist of a very important bit - USB to i2s/DSD driver IC, okay let it even be vintage 1394, whatever, it talks to the real DAC IC and it may have additional MCU for controls, effects, resample etc ie in software mode, if Hardware mode is used, it can be gimped. Yes there are AIO ICs that include built in USB and SPDIF communication blocks and yes also headphone amplifiers, power supply and become to look like a Realtek Codec jack of all trades and good for nothing. But in reality all those things are still split. Where does the term USB Sound card come in? Because it has more knobs? Hillarious and beyond stupid. A standalone USB interface may hold inside more sophisticated modular solution that the so called USB sound card despite the simple looks and few I/O ports.

Where did the term USB sound card come from? Chinglish maybe? I have no idea - simpletons and reviewers that shout the nonsense further for the sake of simplicity. The attempt at explaining things here - what is what... is kinda waaaay off, despte Creative is paying for the tune.

People call it a USB soundcard because of creative. Back in the day an "audio interface" was something that went over IEEE 1394 and was massive, often stacked units. These had multiple inputs and outputs and yes knobs. They were very high quality and had very low latency and were very expensive. This was also the time of PCI soundcards. Creative pushed external solutions under the same Soundblaster monikier and called them USB Soundcards. The name stuck around.

Today, due to the gaming market it's still around. A gaming "DAC" or extenal DAC typically means something that connects via USB (may or may not have optical or spidif) but it only outputs sound. An external USB Soundcard usually has the same sort of connections and but not only outputs sound but also takes sound input from a mic. Going beyond if you are buying something that's billed as an external DAC that usually means there is no software associated with it for silly effects. A USB Soundcard implies there is software you are going to be installing to do all sorts of fancy crazy stuff. A good example is comparing schiits gaming DAC/AMP to creatives products. The schiit is a simple device that you just plugin and go with nothing else to it that takes both headphones and a mic. The creative has all sorts of drivers to deal with and also has creatives software. It's that distinction that separates them.

Stuff is still sold as an audio interface but that implies you are actually creating stuff with it, it's pro gear and different.

Most people are savy enough to know the slang.

D

Deleted member 24505

I wanted USB DAC only, then i can swap and change amps at will without changing the whole thing.

I wanted USB DAC only, then i can swap and change amps at will without changing the whole thing.
Again, decent DAC/amp combos can also act as a line out with even zero distortion in top models.

That is the beauty of it. You can unplug them and go mobile or use them in your home system.