• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB4 is Coming - Everything You Need to Know

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Me neither. Never gonna happen.

Although, an Idea just hit me. Why not just mount a bunch of USB-C ports on a motherboard and make HDDs/SSDs with USB-C connectors? That would work. It wouldn't be backward compatible with existing SATA but converters are a thing. That would be a great idea going forward!
I dunno. USB supports much higher speeds now, but I always felt like SATA was more reliable and robust than USB. If USB is now doing 20Gbps today, when it used to do 5Gbps (USB3) when SATA III was doing 6Gbps (although USB2 at 480Mbps was far more common) I don't think it's a stretch to assume "SATA IV" with much higher speeds than SATA III could be easily created. Still, it doesn't seem very practical considering the fastest drives rely on PCI-E to hit those speeds and would be bottlenecked by anything SATA could do, unless it's a cheap low performance drive anyway.

but I always felt like SATA was more reliable and robust than USB.
Can't argue with that. It has been.
If USB is now doing 20Gbps today, when it used to do 5Gbps (USB3) when SATA III was doing 6Gbps (although USB2 at 480Mbps was far more common) I don't think it's a stretch to assume "SATA IV" with much higher speeds than SATA III could be easily created. Still, it doesn't seem very practical considering the fastest drives rely on PCI-E to hit those speeds and would be bottlenecked by anything SATA could do, unless it's a cheap low performance drive anyway.
Properly engineered, the existing SATA connectors could do 24Gbps. With a few more conductors added to the back of the connector, the speeds would be higher.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I dunno. USB supports much higher speeds now, but I always felt like SATA was more reliable and robust than USB. If USB is now doing 20Gbps today, when it used to do 5Gbps (USB3) when SATA III was doing 6Gbps (although USB2 at 480Mbps was far more common) I don't think it's a stretch to assume "SATA IV" with much higher speeds than SATA III could be easily created. Still, it doesn't seem very practical considering the fastest drives rely on PCI-E to hit those speeds and would be bottlenecked by anything SATA could do, unless it's a cheap low performance drive anyway.
USB has UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) now, something even early USB 3.0 host controllers didn't have, which makes file transfers a lot more secure.
Never buy a mass storage USB device that doesn't support USAP unless you don't care about your data.

Also, there are USB 3.2 SSD controllers now, no bridge chip needed and we'll most likely get those for USB4 as well.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Thanks for this very informative article.

I don't understand why Intel keeps trying to make Thunderbolt a thing when it's very obviously going the way of FireWire; they're way too proud of the stuff they create, they need to learn some humility and accept tghat they can and do produce failures (see: Arc). Since USB4 and TB3 are now effectively the same, there's nothing stopping other USB-IF members from improving on Intel's Thunderbolt specs and introducing those improvements back to the group. If the other members decide to adopt new features for USB and Intel is the only holdout, then Intel is the one that will lose because their products lack those features. And titans like Microsoft and Apple aren't going to sit back and let Intel tell them what to do.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Thanks for this very informative article.

I don't understand why Intel keeps trying to make Thunderbolt a thing when it's very obviously going the way of FireWire; they're way too proud of the stuff they create, they need to learn some humility and accept tghat they can and do produce failures (see: Arc). Since USB4 and TB3 are now effectively the same, there's nothing stopping other USB-IF members from improving on Intel's Thunderbolt specs and introducing those improvements back to the group. If the other members decide to adopt new features for USB and Intel is the only holdout, then Intel is the one that will lose because their products lack those features. And titans like Microsoft and Apple aren't going to sit back and let Intel tell them what to do.
Except as pointed out earlier in the comments here, Intel and Apple are the two companies that are developing Thunderbolt together.
But yes, it's all quite strange, especially as Intel "gave" Thunderbolt 3 to the USB-IF to "build" USB4 around, even though that's not quite how it ended up.

Last edited: