• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Used Hardware Purchaser’s Club

System Name 2017 iMac 5K
Processor Intel i5-7500
Motherboard Intel Z170
Cooling Apple
Memory 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Storage Apple SM0256L
Display(s) 27” 5120x2880 3P
Case iMac
Audio Device(s) My ears
Software MacOS 10.14 and Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Plays games at 1080p
I searched and could not find one, but I thought it might be fun to make a club that discusses used hardware purchases. I think the question often arises on the reliability of buying used—how good is it, and how long does it last? The key here is that you bought the item for regular use (daily driver), and offer feedback on that item’s success or failure. Recycling at its finest!

For me, I purchased a used Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB back in early December 2018 for $120. So far, it has run flawlessly—it even runs well undervolted. Still in service today with no problems. I’ll update the thread if its status changes.

In the past, I’ve also purchased used Xeon’s: X5670, X5677, and W3680 for running in classic Mac Pros that worked perfectly during ownership. I’ve since sold all of those off to other buyers. Speaking of Mac Pro, I bought a used 4,1 MP for $350 that I flashed to 5,1, ran for a year, then resold for $350. Same was true for an MSI Radeon 7870–which I actually bought used for $75 and resold for $125, thanks to the mining craze. In other words, I’ve had good personal success buying used, but I don’t have the biggest sample size, so I was curious what other users have to say about their experiences.

System Name ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB (8GB x4) GSkill TridentX DDR3 2400 (XMP Mode #1) Timings: 10-12-12-31
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 (8GB GDDR5)
Storage 512GB Samsung 950 PRO (NVMe), 2TB WD Gold WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB1 SATA-3 Data drive
Display(s) ASUS VE248 (1080p), 1920x1080@60Hz......4K UHD Monitor next priority upgrade!
Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black, no Window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard Optical (TOSLINK) from MB
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 650
Mouse Logitech M215
Keyboard Logitech K330
Software Windows 10 Pro Secured by Emsisoft Internet Security & Malwarebytes Premium Version 3
Benchmark Scores http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2157372
I feel this is a fantastic idea!

While the majority of Tech forums doesn't offer this, a few does (notably AnandTech), although requires dedicated moderation. Another noteworthy aspect, a bad seller, no matter how long (s)he has been a member, can lose access (suspension) if the deal isn't made right, or permanently banned. Of course, this is where things gets sticky. Would TechPowerUp want to get into this, we know that while most members will be honest (just as on eBay), there'll be a few bad apples, regardless of membership length. However, the newer the member, the higher chance of selling garbage (just as on eBay).

That stated, I love the idea, however it's up to the buyer to research the potential purchase & if in doubt, ask questions & document answers (print of take screenshots of PM's). Also, would require a payment setup, with PayPal being the best, as they can offer protection for buyers beyond what a Moderator could do. That is, if PayPal gets into this type of thing. More likely, it'll be sending money to the Seller with a small percentage taken from Buyer, the latter would have to make the adjustment to ensure the Buyer gets the price asked for.

A second option is either a USPS (or similar) money order or Western Union payment. The latter costs more, however the money is available to the Seller in minutes & can ship same day, or when shipping services are open. Large items should be sent by UPS or FedEx, as USPS prices are high, whereas smaller items (such as RAM) are best sent by USPS Priority Mail insured.

There's a lot if 'if's' here, yet I feel this can be worked out, that is (one again), if TechPowerUp is interested. This could be a way for members to deal with others they trust, rather than blindly purchasing from eBay or (higher cost) Amazon sellers.

I've found a lot of deals on perfectly working used replacement parts for upgrades & the repair of damaged computers, for myself & others on eBay. Yet I have to take the time, every time, to ask questions before purchase. While I did get a few of bad deals, communication with the seller resolved a couple, there were two more as a young eBayer were they had to step in & refund (sellers sold me counterfeit copies of XP Pro). I don't feel we should be selling such software here, components, complete computers & related accessories only with a minimum of 30 day warranty, or if allowed, transfer warranty to the buyer after (s)he sees the deal is good. Example, SquareTrade warranties on items can be transferred at no cost & if the item is covered, should be.

We'll see what happens soon, I presume.:)

Cat

System Name Space Heater
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Cooling Cryorig R1 Ultimate, 5x Cryorig XF140 fans (two on CPU cooler)
Memory 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5425RPM for backups
Display(s) AOC AG241QX 24" 1440P 144Hz, 2x Dell 1908FP 19" 1024P 75Hz
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-1909 (connected over optical), Panasonic SB-PM19 speakers and Insignia NS-RSW211 sub (2.1)
Power Supply EVGA 750 B3, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Geekbench 4 on i7: 14581 multi, 4225 single @4.5GHz (https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/8441992)
I am a big believer in used components.

Most of the components in my main computer are used (soon to change). I got the CPU, mobo, and my old GTX 780 from one of my dad's friends around the end of 2015 and beginning of 2016. I bought my GTX 1070 from a friend back in August 2018. The CPU struggles to get past 4.3GHz, but the 1070 has no problem passing 2GHz.

My secondary and tertiary monitors are used 19" Dell 5:4 monitors I found at thrift stores. The amplifier, satellite speakers, and subwoofer in my sound system were all bought at thrift stores. Even my desk and computer chair were bought second hand.

My first proper "gaming" PC started as an HP DC5800 I found at a yard sale back in November 2015. It had a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 8GB of DDR2-800 and played games around the level of a PS4 with a 750 Ti I grabbed for $100. That computer still works perfectly, and currently has a Q9550 and the 780 in it.

Last edited:
System Name 2017 iMac 5K
Processor Intel i5-7500
Motherboard Intel Z170
Cooling Apple
Memory 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Storage Apple SM0256L
Display(s) 27” 5120x2880 3P
Case iMac
Audio Device(s) My ears
Software MacOS 10.14 and Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Plays games at 1080p
I feel this is a fantastic idea!

While the majority of Tech forums doesn't offer this, a few does (notably AnandTech), although requires dedicated moderation. Another noteworthy aspect, a bad seller, no matter how long (s)he has been a member, can lose access (suspension) if the deal isn't made right, or permanently banned. Of course, this is where things gets sticky. Would TechPowerUp want to get into this, we know that while most members will be honest (just as on eBay), there'll be a few bad apples, regardless of membership length. However, the newer the member, the higher chance of selling garbage (just as on eBay).

That stated, I love the idea, however it's up to the buyer to research the potential purchase & if in doubt, ask questions & document answers (print of take screenshots of PM's). Also, would require a payment setup, with PayPal being the best, as they can offer protection for buyers beyond what a Moderator could do. That is, if PayPal gets into this type of thing. More likely, it'll be sending money to the Seller with a small percentage taken from Buyer, the latter would have to make the adjustment to ensure the Buyer gets the price asked for.

A second option is either a USPS (or similar) money order or Western Union payment. The latter costs more, however the money is available to the Seller in minutes & can ship same day, or when shipping services are open. Large items should be sent by UPS or FedEx, as USPS prices are high, whereas smaller items (such as RAM) are best sent by USPS Priority Mail insured.

There's a lot if 'if's' here, yet I feel this can be worked out, that is (one again), if TechPowerUp is interested. This could be a way for members to deal with others they trust, rather than blindly purchasing from eBay or (higher cost) Amazon sellers.

I've found a lot of deals on perfectly working used replacement parts for upgrades & the repair of damaged computers, for myself & others on eBay. Yet I have to take the time, every time, to ask questions before purchase. While I did get a few of bad deals, communication with the seller resolved a couple, there were two more as a young eBayer were they had to step in & refund (sellers sold me counterfeit copies of XP Pro). I don't feel we should be selling such software here, components, complete computers & related accessories only with a minimum of 30 day warranty, or if allowed, transfer warranty to the buyer after (s)he sees the deal is good. Example, SquareTrade warranties on items can be transferred at no cost & if the item is covered, should be.

We'll see what happens soon, I presume.:)

Cat
I believe such a “for sale” forum already exists at TPU. This thread is more to discuss our experiences of “buying used.” Was it worth it?

Processor 3930K
Motherboard Asus X79 DELUXE
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB 2133 G skillz
Video Card(s) Asus 2 X 780TI DCII OC
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Yeah
We already have a for sale section, which is monitored and has rules that need to be followed. Most use paypal and a feedback system...

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.43v
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) BenQ G2420HD
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
I've bought used GPU's for quite some time now, the last new one I bought would have been a HD 7950 and since then have had GTX 570, GTX 670, 780 Ti, 290, 290x and my current RX 580 all of which had been bought "used" the only one I've ever had any issue with was the GTX 570 which I baked and "fixed" . I have no issues buying recertified or mfr refurbished from a retailer either as such my barracuda 1TB was a refurb as was my Corsair VS550w both of which costing about a total of $60> Buying used makes good sense most of the time as similar to new cars components lose most of their value win the first 2 years, not so good for the new buyer but great for people who want to buy used tech.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.IV
Processor Intel 8600k@4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling Corsair H105 {2x Corsair ML 120 Pro}
Memory Corsair Vengeance White LED DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 970Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD Blue 1TB SSD|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) Asus PB278Q 27"
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1x Corsair ML120 Pro |3x ML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z {AVR:Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150}
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900/G502
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
My 1080ti is pre-owned

System Name Athlon Dragon
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Modified ASUS ROG-STRIX-X399
Cooling Dual custom-loop watercooling
Memory 32GB (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) RX Vega 64
Storage Samsung 860 EVO
Display(s) 24", 1440p, freesync, 144hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA Supernova T2 1600W
Mouse OG steelseries Sensei
Keyboard steelseries 6Gv2
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores GPUPI 1B GPU - 13.637s
I like the idea, bringing in experiences from many sources helps to statistically draw a bigger picture of the topic.

Thing is, I don´t buy used hardware for my daily build because I feel like I can´t trust most people. You can never know the real history of a part. But when I buy used I never had something fail on me after purchase. Hell my amp is from the 70s and works perfect.
Electronics can last a long time if treated right. The biggest concern I felt with buying used is that things might be missing the original packaging and get damaged in shipping. This has happened to me several times now. For example someone send me 2 GPUs and stacked them bare on top of each other so they shaved off the SMDs on their backs :(

I have however recently build a complete system with used parts as a sort of nostalgia + dream config of mine. I do use that daily now too for gaming, the used parts are all 10 years old or more. Xeon 5470, XFX 780i mainboard, 2x GTX295s with original waterblocks for liquid cooling. So far everything is working, overclocked all parts too. If they fail on me soon I can report back :)

Maybe keep that as a perspective if you consider buying a used 2-3 year old part, many parts from over a decade ago still work fine today. It all depends on their individual history and maintenance which brings us back to trusting the seller.

System Name ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB (8GB x4) GSkill TridentX DDR3 2400 (XMP Mode #1) Timings: 10-12-12-31
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 (8GB GDDR5)
Storage 512GB Samsung 950 PRO (NVMe), 2TB WD Gold WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB1 SATA-3 Data drive
Display(s) ASUS VE248 (1080p), 1920x1080@60Hz......4K UHD Monitor next priority upgrade!
Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black, no Window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard Optical (TOSLINK) from MB
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 650
Mouse Logitech M215
Keyboard Logitech K330
Software Windows 10 Pro Secured by Emsisoft Internet Security & Malwarebytes Premium Version 3
Benchmark Scores http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2157372
Please accept my apologies in regards to my post above (#2).:)

As a human, am imperfect, didn't read the OP's post closely & misunderstood badly.

However for the record, I do buy a lot of used hardware, for the most part, have been satisfied. Like with this GTX 670 which came in the mail today, have ran for over 3 hours, seems to be running great so far. This is how I keep my older rigs upgraded, will have to check out the component selection here at TPU for potential future purchases.:toast:

Cat

System Name Working on it ;)
Processor I7-4790K (Stock speeds right now)
Motherboard MSI Z97 U3 Plus
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64 (Non Reference)
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x2Tb WD Black
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill Challenger
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750 (love it)
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10 upgraded from Win 7 Pro
Good idea for a thread.

After the 1st crypto boom, I purchased used 2x 290x Radeon mining cards for something like $250 each. They worked great, then I sold them during the second boom for over $300 each, and parted out my second system, finally ended up with a new Vega 64.

I've purchased several used PSUs here with good luck and a few x58 MBs with mixed success. An x58 board with a Xeon X5600 series CPU is a great inexpensive machine with quite a bit of horsepower.