• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[User-Review] G.Skill Sniper 1600 CL9 im Cartago´s Review

cartago2202

G.Skill Sniper 1600 CL9 im Cartago´s Review

Introduction:

For many Years the Ram-Reviews dealt with the highest Clocks, aggressive Timings and OC-Records,
which are not very important in Real-Life.
In my Reviews i try to set the focus on a 100 percent stable system, instead of focusing the maximum clocks or aggressive timings of the Ram.

Obviously I tried to overclock at the maximum in order to discover the borders stability, but the main priority in this review,
as I have said before for two times, the stability of the whole working system.
A few years ago the term of “GreenIT” was introduced at the Cebit.
This idea of technology established very fast in many areas in the IT-Sector. The development of new Power-Saving-Modes concerning the new CPU-Generations is a new technological feature.
Simultaneously new Power-Management-Concepts concerning the Graphic-Card-Sector were developed.
As well the producers of power-supplies introduced their new 80+ generation supplies.
No matter if bronze, silver, gold or platin-certification, every produce of power-supplies is encouraged to implement one of these features in their series.

The Label of “GreenIT” did as well affect the sector of RAM-Memory.
We all have lovely memories about the very good RAM-Memories of the Eco-Series from G.Skill.
Unfortunately these RAM-Series were raped for ugly OC-Tests. Many Review-Sites ignored the original intention of power-saving and stability.

So I would like to break with this unwritten law in my review.

Unfortunately Intels new generation of CPUs called “Sandy Bridge” are addressed, due the intern installed IMC,
with the maximum Memory-Clocks of 1333Mhz. Unfortunately there is no sun at the other, which is called AMD.
We are in hope, that with the Bulldozer-Generation the new IMC could support officially DDR3-1866.

G.Skill:

At first I would like to present you a few facts about the Producer G.Skill.
Here is a short abstract from the G.Skill-Homepage:

Quote:
Our History
"G. SKILL", established in 1989 by enthusiasts, is a leading memory module Manufacturer based in Taipei, Taiwan.

With traditional strengths, we have built an excellent reputation by meeting market demand and fostering business
competitiveness both locally and internationally with our dedications to provide competitive prices,
On-Time Delivery, Assured Quality, Customer-Oriented Services and Diversity of Products.

Technical Informations:

For a long time the highest FSB or the highest Timings of the Memory are not only factor for a fast running system.

With the “Intel-Nehalem-Microarchitecture” Intel introduced for the first time a Memory-Controller,
which is located in the CPU. As well the previously known FSB was replaced by a Point-to-Point-Connection called Quickpath (QPI).
This direct connection allows the processor to work with a lower latency in cooperation with the RAM.
These both methods eliminated the well-known bottleneck of the FSB concerning the Core-Processors.
Therefore it is not possible to clock the memory asynchronous to the CPU. In this architecture the Timings and high memory clocks are less important.
The central role is played by the CPU. Not every CPU is able to reach RAM-Clocks above 2000Mhz.

At our test-platform with an Intel Lynfield-Processor (i7-860) the importance of the timings is not very high in comparison to a high Memory-Clock,
which is reasonable for a great performance gain.
Unfortunately the Motherboard has to fulfill the conditions to of a stable power-support.
Let us take a closer look at the technical specifications of this RAM-Kit:

You can buy these RAM-Kits in various combinations.
The following chart displays the variety of the Ram-Kits including the Kits, which will appear in further future.

In the following chart you can see the exact timings of each RAM-Kit with an additional explanation of the meanings.

Outward appearance and pictures:

The outward appearance of this Memory-Kit ist for sure the the flashy sign of this Series,
which is linked to the outfit of the Gigabyte Motherboards G1 Series called “Guerilla, Assassin “ or “Sniper”.

A possible explanation for the extreme look of this Ram-Kit could be the high amount of new Memory-Kits on the hardware market.
With an extreme outfit the producer tries to differentiate his product from the other products.

The Kit is situated in simple plastic box, which is marked with a flashy yellow Sticker, which gives you a hint of the low latency of 1,25 Volts.

On the backward you could see the specifications of the Ram-Kit. The rest of the packaging is not very exciting.

In my opinion, I really love the wonderful design of the heatspreaders. The really match my gust.
The heatspreader is designed in dependence to a machine gun with iron sights. The patch is designed in dependence of a bloody machete.

But everybody should make his own ruling.

Testsystem and Tests.

Before starting my tests, I would like to present you my test-platform.

System:

-RAM: G.Skill Sniper (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2) DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 2T bei 1,25V
-CPU: Intel Core i7 860
-Board: Asus Maximus III Formula
-Grafik: PowerColor HD6950
-NT: be-quiet! P9 850W
-Case: CoolerMaster HAF-X
-Operatingsystem: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1

Let us start with the test with a closer look to the CPU-Z Tool in order to check,
if the Kit is error-free detected and the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) is correct programmed.

As we can see G.Skill has programmed three Fallback-Profiles and one XMP-Profile.
The Asus Motherboard detected the Ram-Kit correctly and set the standard settings as well correctly, except of the voltages.

After the activation of the XMP-Profile in the BIOS the voltages are detected as well correctly,
except the high IMC-Voltage of 1,35. This Voltage was set manually in the Bios.

So what is the result of the test?

The answer is short: I have tested this Ram-Kit for the first time in this review during seven day in 24/7 operation.
In did in this period several tests, which were repeated in a high frequency. Based on these tests I determined the following average values,
which are shown in the following graphic:

During the testing-period several tests ran in combination like Game-Benchmarks and Stress-Tests.
As a Stress-Testing-Program the Coding and Encoding of BlueRays, Prime95, LinX and MemZest86 were used.
The stress-testing aims at the maximum load limit in 24/7 working situations.
With a slightly feeling of happiness I would like to offer to you,
that the goal was successfully reached.

Conclusion:

The Stability of the Ram-Kit is really amazing. Awesome job, G.Skill!

Certainly is the design of the Ram-Kit is a point on which someone can argue, but in the face of rockstable stability of the Ram-Kit,
the moderate price and the very good support of G.Skill, I have to pull my hat.

Unfortunately I had no possibility to the test the Kit on an AMD-based-Platform,
but I am sure that G.Skill is interested to bring this to public.

Finally, I would again stress that this review was not on OC results, but much more on stability and reliability.

The G.Skill Sniper 1600 CL9 Kit gets for the reliability and the awesome Design (from my point of view) the desirable „Cartago´s Review“ Award in Gold.

Note of thanks:

I particularly want to G.Skill, and especially Mia Shih thank for providing the test sample, the support and trust have placed in me, and the companyAquatuning, Asus, Intel, PowerColor, be-quiet!, und Masterkleer for their kind support.​

cartago2202

Since apparently this review has not been understood in its new form really, and in many forums, the question came up here, "what the RAM can be" sometimes a little explanation.
The Memory, with its large 2x4GiB ICs, runs at only 1.25 V voltage and 1600MHz.
Due to the very low voltage it is very cool and does not need any extra cooling.
The implementation of the XMP profile is performed perfectly giving us the many tests have shown. The efficiency, cooling, stability and simplicity with which you can operate this memory kit is what it represents.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
nice :toast:, but im not much interested on that product (maybe its personal taste)

cartago2202

Have some additional results

here first undervolting with 1.2 V is less, the board is not applicable:

at the same time I noted the temperature on the images, temp sensor was the 50 KOhms directly from Koolance HS near the middle chip

Temp. 1,25V

and 1,5V

cartago2202

and now to supplement OC Results:

1T @ 2000MHz 10-11-10-27 at 1.65 V

I think it is a good value for this memory. In the network there are other, better results but I still think OC estrangement this memory kit as the intended use.