1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using a DVI to HDMI adapter to hook up DVI monitor

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Davewhite787, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Davewhite787 New Member

Dec 14, 2010
    1 (0.00/day)
    Thanks Received:
    I have a PC that has one DVI output and one HDMI output. I have two monitors that are exactly the same and they both have a DVI input. The question I have is... Can you use the adapter essentially "reversed"? I want to hook the HDMI side to the back of the pc and have the DVI side go to the input of the monitor. Will this work properly? I don't see why it wouldn't but I need to make sure before we shell out the money to buy the adapter cables. I have tried to search the web for examples... but it seems like most people use the cables to hook up a pc with DVI out to a TV or monitor with HDMI input. I wasn't able to find anything similar to what I was contemplating so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Dent1

May 18, 2010
    3,415 (1.45/day)
    Thanks Received:
    If you can find a converter it should work. But there will be no benefit. DVI is a digital cable just like HDMI there will be no benefit using HDMI over DVI, all you are doing is complicating things with a converter and spending money unnecessarily for no benefit.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Nov 22, 2005
    23,109 (5.79/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Yes, you can do that. I used to do it with my PS3 all the time to use it with my monitor.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU