• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using 'Start IP address' to limiting wireless clients

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I can explain this correctly, sorry if I don't. Some 'assumption' on my part is included.

I assign static IP addresses to the clients, always have done so. Two Desktops, One Laptop, two DVR's one ATA (VoIP adapter) and now one 'Streaming box. All wired except a Laptop.

Not a problem until I assigned one to this Streaming box (Fire TV 2).

Looking at the attachments, specific the 2nd one, I assigned '31' (last segment/octet in the address) to the FTV. It showed correctly in that screen.
When I looked at the LAN page in the Router, it the last IP segment/octet was '54' which is in the allowable 'limit range' I specified, not the static '31' I assigned in the device.

Today, I now see it is showing correctly as '31' with what appears to be the former Router assignment (if that is the correct term) as '54' at the bottom of the page which I assume is a 'history' list.

Can this behavior be due to "lease time"?

When I initially connected the device to the Router, it was in auto assigned address mode. Can I assume the 'clock' started running at that point before I set a static address??

I hope that made sense.

Attachments

• Limit number of clients.png
    Limit number of clients.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 446
  • Limit number of clients LAN page.png
    Limit number of clients LAN page.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 448

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
lock the wireless assigned address to the wireless device Mac address so it gets the same "static IP address you assigned it all the time on your lan network

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Then you can still lock device Mac Address to a static assigned lan IP address so every time it boots/connects to your network it gets the address that is linked to via the locked device mac address

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
There is a thing called DHCP lease. For dynamic IP assignments your router dedicates a certain amount of time for each device to occupy an address.
In your case a lease for FireTV hasn't expired. You can fix that by restarting the router, or clearin DHCP leases manually. Then it should switch to static IP assignment.

You may also need to restart your FireTV, if for some reason it tries to connect with an old address without renewing it...

Everything is ok now, it was this lease period that was the problem.
What thru me was the device showed what I set in the devices menu for it's IP address even thou that wasn't the actual address at the time.

To be clear, All IP settings were done in the devices settings PC or otherwise, NOT using the Routers menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.