• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using systool

shinnen

Hi,
I have just downloaded systool. It does not list a clockgenerator for my system (Celeron 3.2 GHz); but it does seem to respond when I change the FSB limit. How can I tell if it's overclocking, and are there directions available for using this tool?
Thanks,
.... john

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
How can I tell if it's overclocking

Verify with CPU-z
Also, and I could be way off, but Systool went EOL long ago.

System specs would help us to help you in such an instance. I take it you have no bios options for overclocking?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Might have better luck with clockgen. Used it in the past to overclock a Dell with a Pentium 4 related Celeron in a trade/college classes I was taking.

shinnen

Hi Sneekypeet/biffzinker,
CPU-Z doesn't change when I fiddle with the Systool settings, but then I don't really know what I'm doing.
The system, well it's a Thinkcentre S51. CPU-Z says Celeron 351, Prescott, Socket 775 LGA. Now that you mention it, there is a section of bios, related to the cpu/memory/etc, but it doesn't allow changes. The layout suggests that changes can be made, but says I have to look for other bios setings or find my administrator. I haven't been able to crack that nut. That might be the key.
Clock gen doesn't find my PLL, and I haven't looked for it yet. Is there an app that will read the chip, or do I have to do it the old (hard) way?
I may be flogging a dead horse here; but I screwed up my first system, now I'm stuck with this one, for now.
...... john

D

Deleted member 185158

All this depends on the motherboard.
You could try SetFSB. If the PLL isn't listed, you can find it on the motherboard.
If the board is OEM (HP/DELL) your chances of overclocking are very slim, but may be able to use the PLL to find out.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Maybe look at ThrottleStop as an alternative?

No personal experience, but I did see threads here about clocking desktops with it, so I assume it being newer (than previously mentioned options), it may be able to do what you need. Also the creator of that tool lurks here, and you could get some help right from the source.

@unclewebb am I even close here in what I am saying?

D

Deleted member 185158

Really what we need is the Motherboard model number. With locked down options in the bios, it's likely an OEM board.
Simply click the motherboard tab in Cpu-Z and type in the model number here. We could further assist, but I have a feeling that board is in fact OEM and there will be no overclocking even through PLL (which PLL OCing works maybe 50% of the time)

shinnen

Hi,
Well. I've gone back to my old(er) reliable p4pe2. The Thinkcentre just had too many issues, and was dog slow. The Asus is a fireball in comparison.
However, it won't run the 2.6 gig/800 processor flat out. If I use the standard setting it will run at 1750. I can clock it up to 2100, where things run fine (fsb 133 >>> 160), although it will do 2400 or more. But above 2100 things start to go south. (I think the GeForce 2 reaches it's limit aound there.) However, it humps along pretty well at 2100.
.... john

D

Deleted member 185158

Have you tried different bios? Perhaps theres a modded one?
Lastly... Pin mod.

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
Hi,
Well. I've gone back to my old(er) reliable p4pe2. The Thinkcentre just had too many issues, and was dog slow. The Asus is a fireball in comparison.
However, it won't run the 2.6 gig/800 processor flat out. If I use the standard setting it will run at 1750. I can clock it up to 2100, where things run fine (fsb 133 >>> 160), although it will do 2400 or more. But above 2100 things start to go south. (I think the GeForce 2 reaches it's limit aound there.) However, it humps along pretty well at 2100.
.... john
BSEL mod. ;)