• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using Ubuntu to recover from an OSX drive

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Hello TPU,

So I have had little experience diving into Ubuntu. With not so great results, but did enjoy the ability to have control.

One of my friends has a hard drive that is not booting correctly in their iMac. I want to try and recover the data with my compy, but as we know, Windows will not be able to read the drive.

However, I was wondering if I could burn Ubuntu to a CD, and use the non-install method to read the drive, and copy the files like her photos and 3D files to my windows drive. This would save me an OS install on my emergency drive, and make her happy to have her old school work around.

Is this an easy task, or am I over my head?

Thanks to any help or direction you can offer.
-At

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Do you know why it's not booting? Did you boot from the OS X disc, and try to go into Disc Utility and do a volume repair?

If that doesn't work, you can install MacDrive in your Windows and copy the data that way. What model Mac does she have, btw?

jimmt

Sure you can do mount -t hfsplus /dev/<drive> /path/to mount and mount the drive and copy data off of it.

say you are booting from live CD and you want to backup the data to USB drive. You would do the following:

mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda1 /mnt *this will mount the first drive to the /mnt folder

Then cp -r data to /media/usb drive mount *assuming the USB drive is auto mounted from Ubuntu

Hope this helps.

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Do you know why it's not booting? Did you boot from the OS X disc, and try to go into Disc Utility and do a volume repair?

If that doesn't work, you can install MacDrive in your Windows and copy the data that way. What model Mac does she have, btw?

Never thought to try that. Is it like browsing another Windows drive, or is there some trick to the navigation that I may need?

jimmt said:
Sure you can do mount -t hfsplus /dev/<drive> /path/to mount and mount the drive and copy data off of it.

say you are booting from live CD and you want to backup the data to USB drive. You would do the following:

mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda1 /mnt *this will mount the first drive to the /mnt folder

Then cp -r data to /media/usb drive mount *assuming the USB drive is auto mounted from Ubuntu

Hope this helps.

I assume this is the terminal commands. Is using this method going to make a copy of the drive itself as hard drive image, a copy of the drive, or other? The instructions sound pretty straight forward, I'm just curious what to prep if I go this step.

jimmt

Never thought to try that. Is it like browsing another Windows drive, or is there some trick to the navigation that I may need?

I assume this is the terminal commands. Is using this method going to make a copy of the drive itself as hard drive image, a copy of the drive, or other? The instructions sound pretty straight forward, I'm just curious what to prep if I go this step.

Its just copying files from one drive to another and not an image. I can research how to take an image of HFS+ file system as I never had done it. It is something I am curious about since I have a Mac as well.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

MacDrive mounts it as a regular drive.

But first, boot from the OS X disc and do a repair with disc utility. It may just be a simple problem. There will be no need to save her data at all if we fix the issue.

Its just copying files from one drive to another and not an image. I can research how to take an image of HFS+ file system as I never had done it. It is something I am curious about since I have a Mac as well.

Iirc, you can image your drive from the OS X disc by using disc utility. At least you used to be able to, haven't had to do it in years.

System Name V!RU5
Processor E8400 / Q6600 (still deciding which one to keep)
Motherboard GA-P35-D3SR
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-90
Memory 4GB Corsair
Video Card(s) Evga 8800GT
Storage Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Viewsonic VA2226w
Case RaidMax Ninja
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply RaidMax 520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 / Sabayon Linux 5.0 KDE 4.4.1 / OSX Leopard 10.5.8 IDeneb
linux can read HFS+

i have a hackint0sh install (OSX on PC) on one of my computers and i can look into the OSX system files from linux

only problem you might come across is if the user folder is encrypted in OSX

jimmt

MacDrive mounts it as a regular drive.

But first, boot from the OS X disc and do a repair with disc utility. It may just be a simple problem. There will be no need to save her data at all if we fix the issue.

Iirc, you can image your drive from the OS X disc by using disc utility. At least you used to be able to, haven't had to do it in years.

You are correct. I had a brain dead moment. Though, I am curious if there are other forms of imaging you can do outside the Macintosh Drive utility.