This mod is an entry for the Modshop.net, PAX Games Challenge with the grand prize being to attend the Penny Arcade Expo! Runner-up gets $100 for NewEgg and a 8 gig Zune. I was originally going to keep the Modshop.net listing updated, but it is just too primitive at the early stage of the site... the worklog tidbits they provide only allow for a small space and have a limited number of characters. So I'll bring it to here! FULL SIZE PICTURES... (bjkdesign.com) The Image: The case will represent why, UT3 is a fun game… and why the Unreal Tournament series has been one of the premier gaming experiences! Although its sad that Epic and Midway have decided to focus the game on the consoles… the games will still be released on the PC. The series will still remain one of the best (of the few) deathmatch games. You’ll see the idea sketches soon! I don’t really think I have a chance of winning the games challenge, but I’m still making this case, just for myself… I had a great experience at the UVA iDTech camp a few weeks back which I spent making maps for UT3 with a bunch of kids that became my friends. Those memories will last me forever in the creation of this UT3 themed case! The actual case will be built from a Lian-Li PC-A05B. It will feature a water cooling loop for the CPU and will utilize vertical airflow instead of the tradition horizontal configuration. Air will be pulled up from the ground since the case will be placed on a custom fabricated aluminum base and pushed through to the top to a 240mm Swiftech radiator! This will hopefully improve performance because heat naturally rises up, and thus, the airflow will match the direction of heat naturally. there will also be two additional intakes in the form of low voltage/RPM fans. One for the harddrive cage in the front of the case and one in the back next to the CPU. The Specifications: MOBO: EVGA 680i SLI-T1 CPU – Intel E2200 VGA: PNY 9600 GT RAM: 2×1GB Patriot Memory (4-4-4-12) [1000 MHZ] HDD: 640 GB Western Digital SE16 PSU: SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM 500 Watt Modular The Cooling: 4× 120mm Scythe SFF21E S-FLEX Fans (49 CFM) [20.1 dba] Apogee Drive Waterblock Swiftech MCR-220 ‘Quiet-Power’ Radiator Swiftech MCRES-Micro Hi-Flo Reservoir ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Here are some sketches that I made... they are quite basic, and I never really put my ideas on paper becaues I like to change things as I go, because I never measure anything twice... (that causes me a lot of problems down the line... so don't follow my carelessness...) but they were required to be an entry to the games challenge. I finished cutting out a part of the top panel for the radiator exhaust! I used a dremel and a jigsaw for the ovular cutout. The design was slightly altered from the pictures… with alternating edges rounded, so that one corner is rounded, then one is pointed, etc. This is only because I made a mistake while cutting… one of the rounded edges was accidentally trimmed. The cut was lined with u-channel from mnpctech.com. The holes I drilled to mount the radiator were slightly off, so I’m currently grinding them to extend them. As you might be able to see from those pictures... the top panel got heavily scratched from sliding around on a box... I guess I should have taped both sides... oh well, I'll leave the panel as it is, because the area with the cuts will look characteristic once the blood lines are painted... I might even end up scratching up the entire case... and mod in some bullet holes. I also started work on the undercarriage by cutting out some sheets of aluminum in the size of the case's underside. However... I'll need a bending brake to actually bend the pieces into place to be attached together... That'll be a while before I can get that because I have no money at the moment to spend. I then began work on the bottom radiator/fan cutout... it would be quite different from the top, because you wouldn't see the bottom grill unless you actually looked at it (by flipping the case upside down)... thus I might not even cover it with mesh, just because that hinders airflow quite heavily. The original curved design drawn out was altered because I decided the curves took to much work in an area that wouldn't be seen... In that last picture, you can see the holes I've drilled to screw in the fans... one corner was cut too far in and thus can't fit the hole correctly, but its alright, the fan will still be fine. Work will continue tommorow! I'm going to start creating the stencil for the case's blood lines tommorow... the lines will hopefully be like the ones on UT3's game box... as pictured below. These lines will spread onto the top of the case as well, and will fade near the radiator cutout.