• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Seemingly Preparing Their Own VR Headset; Hints Point to Half Life VR Bundle

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
See post #8. To add: who is going to buy VR equipment to play a remaster of a 14 year old game? No one. My guess is Valve is co-developing the remaster with the headset in order to get better VR support in Source 2 (itself an archaic engine that isn't very attractive to developers) and they'll probably include a free key for the game with headset. Really nothing exciting to see here unless you were already in the market for a headset or you already have a headset and looking to expand your game library.

Last edited:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
See post #8. To add: who is going to buy VR equipment to play a remake of a 14 year old game? No one. My guess is Valve is co-developing the remaster with the headset in order to get better VR support in Source (itself an archaic engine that isn't very attractive to developers) and they'll probably include a free key for the game with headset. Really nothing exciting to see here unless you were already in the market for a headset or you already have a headset and looking to expand your game library.
HLVR will be a prequel to HL. This will not be Half-Life in VR, but a whole new Half-Life game. Now there is a group of guys making HL2VR, but this is not the game Valve is working on.

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
See post #8. To add: who is going to buy VR equipment to play a remaster of a 14 year old game? No one. My guess is Valve is co-developing the remaster with the headset in order to get better VR support in Source 2 (itself an archaic engine that isn't very attractive to developers) and they'll probably include a free key for the game with headset. Really nothing exciting to see here unless you were already in the market for a headset or you already have a headset and looking to expand your game library.

That's what I said. The only reason you gave is that it costs too much to be worth it for you. Which is a valid opinion, but to come to the conclusion that it "isn't ready for prime time" because you're not interested in buying one is silly.

If you're referring to what you said about developers not making money, that's a fair point. But that doesn't reflect on the technology itself at all. High end gaming computers are also out of the reach of most people, or at least "not worth it" like you feel about VR. And yet nobody here would consider graphics cards to be a failed technology simply because the mainstream user doesn't see the value in it. So many developers have failed to properly monetize... that isn't the failing of VR in general.

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm doing this... you've admitted that you haven't even tried it yourself. Your opinion here is irrelevant. And that's what I don't understand... I don't get why you actively seek to destroy things that don't concern you at all. Especially after you've just shown us that you didn't even take the time to comprehend the OP.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I'm trying to be objective here. It usually isn't too difficult to determine who is trying to be objective BTW. If someone is too accepting or too critical its an indication.

In all honesty, push comes to shove, there simply isn't enough information to decisively say that modern VR will be a success that goes on for many generations to come or if sometime soon development will cease. Although, it is noteworthy that Valve is jumping into an already robust selection and growing pool of HMD offerings. With increasingly improving specs mind you. that's not necessary an indication of longevity though anymore then a quick demise.

Anyone who claims to have all the answers at this point should be viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Fad
Gimmick
Not ready for prime time

All are definitive absolute answers where none actually exist with respect to where we are in the development cycle of this segment of the market.

In other words its too early to tell. If someone is pushing too hard one way or the other, then they are likely doing so because they wish it to be so rather then know it to be so. For whatever reason,.....

Anyone can make a guess now about something undetermined and they might even end up being right as it is essentially a 50 / 50 proposition. However, it would be a coincidence.