• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VBE7 - vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards

Thank you
1250mhz core clock. proper thermals no need to touch the fan ever again on top of plenty of tdp if 1.250v is the absolute max for this gpu...

Try it as is...

If you cant get into windows or have issue will need dos atiflash stock backup to get it rolling again.

I have no idea what those cards are capable of but my r7 370 based on 7850 can easily achieve 1250Mhz and well beyond...

Attachments

• vtx.zip
    83.7 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Well, 1250mhz core clock seems very extreme, I have never tested. All I need is to lower VDDC below 1.25 (lower better) and some clock about 1000/1400 for 24h usage ... as no one program can't overclock this card effectively, it always stuck to 925/1250 and seem locked or something, my other sapphire 7950 doesn't have this problem.

I was looking over your bios again realizing by stock its gonna kill the card in a jiffy, so flash the bios I sent you quick before it's too late.. temps wise... tHigh is far too high. Thats near todays low melting point solder under gpu diodes.

I'm 100% confident the bios above will work...(download below) here is the same but another bios and 1250 will be no problem.

Okay so what temps are u seeing now? Use Sapphire trix and I'll make you a new bios when I hear your max temps with 100% fan speed unless your not performance oriented because of excessive noise and heat? Above 85C on stock clocks?

I mean I can make a quiet bios mod with extra power on tap on max power and if you have 2 6-pins you can do 1.25v easily...

I run 1.200v (ie absolute max on 1x 6pin pcie power) and 1250Mhz completely inaudible over other fans and it eats (Aliens vs predator 4x aa ultra, bf4, tomb raider) 30-75fps @ 2720x1530 ultra up for breakfast on the R7 370 4GB model... I see mid to high 60C at 1530p... 1080p is high 50C, mid 40C at 100% fan...

lmk brotha i need to know what your looking to aim for ....? I can mod it for any of your personal preferences.. what would you like the card to do?

Attachments

• 7950.zip
    41.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Thank you, but I will not flash with your bios mod as I said 1250mhz is pretty high and never tested. VRM seems supported but I down know is it programable with VBE7 as there is no dropdown menu with values and I can't change value on state #5 or it not working. All i need is some light clock and some VDDC lowering ... near 1v if possible, fan curve is ok and don't need touching.

What your looking for is not possible, nor worth bothering with. If you want performance you need power, without power you will not have performance on any and all cards.

Wanna reduce voltage? tdp is most important on this. Gonna have to reduce clock as well or you'll be in amdkdag.sys crash/ bsod/ freeze heaven.

Just for your information you might get 700mhz out of 1.000v then thats up to you, set overdrive to 0's unless your looking for amdkdag.sys bsod/ crash heaven... tdp call it 135 watts... that 384-bit sucks down twice as much power as the core diode mind you... gonna have to back off ram to 220GB/s to operate in your low power/ low performance/ cool & quiet preference threshold... Just so you know the 384-bit ram on any card makes temps soar... Unless your willing to hit up www.frozencpu.com 's Fujipoly ultra extreme 17w/m K thermal material for the voltage regulators, ram, and core to see performance no HD7950 has ever seen while man handling the 384-bit ram temps and seeing peak clocks beyond 1250Mhz 24/7 365 stable (Never need to touch it Ever Again).

Last edited:
All is o.k. The problem was with the driver which seems not working with new bios - clean with ddu and reinstall and card is working as desired 970/1400/1.125
:toast:

@chris189 you seem to have mastered the fine art of vBIOS modding. Kudos! I've never delved that far into it for lack of necessity. You could be a huge asset here. I hope you don't mind if I send other jobs or questions from fellow members your way. The topic comes up from time to time. I might even need some assistance with mine eventually. Let me know if you'd rather not answer questions or handle requests for help in these regards.

Thanks!

@chris189 you seem to have mastered the fine art of vBIOS modding. Kudos! I've never delved that far into it for lack of necessity. You could be a huge asset here. I hope you don't mind if I send other jobs or questions from fellow members your way. The topic comes up from time to time. I might even need some assistance with mine eventually. Let me know if you'd rather not answer questions or handle requests for help in these regards.

Thanks!

More than happy to. thx

How TDP power limits (wattage) respond to values (VDDC) as card seems hotter than before flash. GPU-Z reports 1.125v constant before was 1.0xx dynamic but other programs reports 1.25v, now 1.13v and card is hotter about 7-8C above. I am sure that lower VDDC will be better as this is just a "test bios mod" to test overclock potential and I need to decide which values must be set for 24h stability usage without risking card health.

Last edited:
How TDP power limits (wattage) respond to values (VDDC) as card seems hotter than before flash. GPU-Z reports 1.125v constant before was 1.0xx dynamic but other programs reports 1.25v, now 1.13v and card is hotter about 7-8C above. I am sure that lower VDDC will be better as this is just a "test bios mod" to test overclock potential and I need to decide which values must be set for 24h stability usage without risking card health.

Basically voltage can be set to max if your voltage regulators have cooling and your sure of it. This will maintain stability at any clock you choose as long as it's within that voltage threshold and can only be found with testing and continuous monitoring.

I find the tdp is basically a peak allowable usable watt ouput the card can see, for instance at 1920x1080 at 1250Mhz and 1.200v requires like somewhere between 170 and 200 watt tdp to minimize atikmdag.sys crash and bsod, though you must consider what your card could see by it's PCIe power spec and PCIe slot power.

a X16 slot will suck down 75 watts max, each 6-pin PCIe could see more than 150 watts, so that means my single 6 Pin PCIe power and 75 watt slot could see a max 225 watts in extreme cases. An extreme case is that of running beyond 1920x1080, like 2720x1530.

At 2720x1530 nothing higher than a 225 watt tdp with 1.200v at 1250Mhz will be stable since 2720x1530 with those settings will not allow 1250Mhz to be stable. At 2720x1530 only at 1240Mhz can 1.200v and 225 watt tdp be the absolute max stable for this card being XFX AMD Radeon R7 370 4GB.

It also depends on what resolution do you use most? 1920x1080, 2720x1530, 3840x2160? Each one needs equally as much power percentage as the increase of resolution requires. Gaming at 1280x720? What isn't stable at high res is perfectly stable at 720p, easily 1300Mhz no issue at 720p.

What one should know is it's not Too Hot until it's eating past 85C at 100% fan... That's when you will either buy Fujipoly Ultra Extreme from www.fozencpu.com and bitch slap those high temps or Bend Over and take less volts/ watts/ clocks to keep the card in-line.

Just to analyze this a bit further my XFX R7 370 with no cooling on voltage regulators by stock saw VREG temps go sky high on stock 995Mhz/ 1.163v/ 105 watt tdp though among higher than I want core temps of 75C and well beyond.

It wasn't until I tore the card down that I modded the threaded mounting pegs so I could increase core pressure using different screws without "Stops". My screws stop when the peg meets the PCB. I added heatsinks to the voltage regulators but not the ram (not enough room and can't find 3 to 4mm tall heatsinks). By the way I'm not running Fujipoly Ultra Extreme on my XFX R7 370, I use Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 on the core diode, since I used all my Ultra Extreme on other cards... Which by the way my Fujpoly Ultra Extreme modded cards all see World Record Breaking performance. Thermal performance is directly related to fps and scores, so you can clock it all the way out and see LESS FPS. Once you use the material it'll allow the card to finally get out of it's "Cacoon" and "Stretch It's F*ing Legs Already".

If your out of cash and want damn good and decent performance for literally $6.60 shipped you get the best paste performance around and don't let anyone tell you otherwise this stuff is the bomb only if applied to the core diode only EXACTLY like this... (Use Only Fujipoly on Ram and Voltage Regulators).

PASTE JOB R7 370 640.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silv...016153?hash=item28113ebd19:g:26kAAOSwFMZWssYv

So if your running stock pads on voltage regulators and ram please don't touch the voltage or ram clocks because you'll kill it. All manufacturers use the crappiest thermal material seeing like maybe 2 to 3 watts per meter kelvin but the thicker the pad the higher the thermal resistance reducing that 2 to 3 to 0.1 to 0.75 watts per meter kelvin. Only 0.5 to 1.0mm pads should be used and Fujipoly ultra extreme 17 watts per meter kelvin and which when tightened decreases thermal resistance therefore making that 17 watts 100% all there all the time.

2 sheets should cover everything on the card... cut out to precisely the size of the core diode and apply to core diode, among ram modules, and one long large piece for the voltage regulator heatsink (add material to the heatsink surface and then install and tighten).

Core diode and Ram
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...rmal_Conductivity_170_WmK.html?tl=g8c487s1797

Voltage regulators
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...rmal_Conductivity_170_WmK.html?tl=g8c487s1797

Now I can run it at peak potential 24/7 365 without ever worrying about it burning up, because it will not.

Finding your right bios settings would be to open HWinfo64 and let it run for hours/ days/ weeks/ months to know what clocks/ volts/ temps/ fan speeds it sees on a regular basis Min/ Avg/ Max so you can determine what you feel needs to be done or what your concerned about.

Post a HWInfo64 screenshot of your gpu monitoring here after a hell of an intense gaming session so I can tell you about your card.

Last edited:
@Pehokoo

You realize what I'm looking at is amazing, great job.

Your at 50% fan speed right? You have tons of headroom.. So what r u looking to do? If you want more clocks you'll need a new fan profile but performance and safety will be fine.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bz891l69d338lp4/LuxMark-v3.0.rar

What's your Luxmark 3.0 Hotel score? Create account and submit score broski! I wanna see your name on the list!

Mine is 205th in the world right behind a Graphics Core Next 1.2 GPU, with my Graphics Core Next 1.0 card... Scoring 1,545 points

http://www.luxmark.info/top_results/Hotel/OpenCL/GPU?page=10

What's your Luxmark 3.0 Hotel score? Create account and submit score broski! I wanna see your name on the list!

Mine is 205th in the world right behind a Graphics Core Next 1.2 GPU, with my Graphics Core Next 1.0 card... Scoring 1,545 points
I took in for a spin this morning and got 69th. 1st for a 7970/280X. 2739 points @ 1210/1850.

Man are we way off topic. But oh well. Sorry folks.

I took in for a spin this morning and got 69th. 1st for a 7970/280X. 2739 points @ 1210/1850.

Man are we way off topic. But oh well. Sorry folks.

Nice, Run the benchmark for the one GPU at a time to see what each gpu is capable of.

My total score I got was 2,111 Points for my CPU & 1x GPU...

overclocker19

Hi, I have a question...
If a gpu has a uefi bios, the changes I make in bios with vbe7 will not be applied, even if flashing goes through without a problem?

Hi, I have a question...
If a gpu has a uefi bios, the changes I make in bios with vbe7 will not be applied, even if flashing goes through without a problem?
The changes will be applied. But the BIOS will no longer have UEFI functionality.

overclocker19

Ok, so I presume if it looses uefi functionality, my uefi installed OS will switch to legacy boot mode?

I'm not 100% sure what will happen. I think it should work just fine. But if you have a problem with the OS booting you might be able to fix it so that it still boots. You would probably just need to disable some features in the motherboard BIOS related to fast boot and/or legacy boot vs. UEFI boot. From what I understand booting through the CSM(Compatibility Support Module) supports any/all UEFI or legacy boot methods. So it might not require changing anything. It should automatically detect whichever boot method is required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#CSM_booting

If you make sure to save your original vBIOS you can always flash back to that if you run into any issues that you can't seem to fix as far as booting.

overclocker19

I'm not 100% sure what will happen. I think it should work just fine. But if you have a problem with the OS booting you might be able to fix it so that it still boots. You would probably just need to disable some features in the motherboard BIOS related to fast boot and/or legacy boot vs. UEFI boot. From what I understand booting through the CSM(Compatibility Support Module) supports any/all UEFI or legacy boot methods. So it might not require changing anything. It should automatically detect whichever boot method is required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#CSM_booting

If you make sure to save your original vBIOS you can always flash back to that if you run into any issues that you can't seem to fix as far as booting.
Well, I tried and made a change only to the voltage on load, tried 1.25v and 1.3v on my 280x. I guess it worked, because now it is stable at 1150-1180mhz core and around 80-85c max. 1200mhz is not stable, because it freezes pretty soon when gaming ;). It also booted without a problem (BIOS was already set to UEFI and legacy mode). What I've noticed though is MSI afterburner always shows the correct max voltage on load e.g. 1.25v, 1.3v, but GPUZ never shows 1.3v on max load, it always shows less e.g. 1.22v-1.27v, but mainly only shows 1.2v. So I am not sure wich reading is correct or is it maybe some vdroop in action or something else. But anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Hello good sirs, I wish to flash my MSI HD 7970 TwinFrozr III OC Boost Edition for sub 220W usage, Can I just adjust to HD7950 numbers and hope for the best?

So I tried just putting some numbers in and card wont change from 150/500 clocks, Whats the obvious thing I'm missing?

ANY bios alteration results in the same so my bios file upload was pointless.

I am able to flash with a 7950 bios in windows and it works but I don't really want to do that because I'd rather teak it (and one instance of black screen fan 100% but then reboot and normal firestike run afterwards).

Attachments

• HD7970.zip
    39.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
This VDDC Current reading seems high, I need my own bios I think, Not off the shelf.

I have to play a Youtube video to unstick the clocks, after that the card behaves like I want it to until a restart or log off. HELP!! 3 days of flashing and hoping whatever different thing I try will do the trick but nothing, Is it time to give up?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I have looked at your Bios you uploaded and it all looks fine, the only 2 things I can think of in order of likeliness are......

1. You do not have windows set to "performance" and it's playing games with the cards clocks for some reason.
2. Power tune is playing up

I can increase powertune for you to see if that helps but it's unlikely, unless you have tried that already?

If none of that works then possibly the only answer would be to increase your 2D idle 300mhz clock to the same as your load clock but that might be risky as I have never tried that before.

Ohhhh if it has not worked for you before it may be that you don't have a programmable voltage controller, if that's the case then this programme is not going to help.

At the moment I'm using this (attached Banana (Tahiti stock bios)). I want to try this card in my Mac Pro 1,1 (225w max pci-e limit, after which the traces may burn)
Furmark makes 200w/30w (GPU/mem), So ... I dunno if the card is taking any notice of the TDP limit set in the mod bios

Although Furmark is beyond a worse case scenario I don't want to fry the mac (maybe I do a little bit)

If the voltage does behave what would be a ballpark bios settings for around 190w peak? I'd prefer not to gimp the card too much.

Attachments

• Tahiti.zip
    39.8 KB · Views: 130
  • banana.zip
    39.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited: