• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vega 56 - Was I scammed?

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I use giro with PayPal and it crashes in both BIOS

Not sure about GIRO as this is first time I heard of it. See if there is any kind of buyer protection. Contact Paypal anyway as there isn't any harm in it either.

Either case, if you cant get your money back, try the other suggested suggestions:
- Drivers - did you use Display Driver Uninstaller of your previous drivers and current in safe mode? If not, do so.
- After DDU, install newest drivers. OR, try a previous driver if current one doesnt work.
- Try to undervolt and Underclock the GPU. Vega's can benefit with this as heat is a problem. Sounds like, from according to assimilator, that your GPU is reaching or has reached its safe temp levels for the Vega 56. So there is possibility to the games crashing.
- Lastly, open it up and attempt to apply new thermal pads to the VRM and memory modules, and apply new thermal paste (MX4) to the GPU core and hope that fixes it.

Otherwise, not much else one can do. All I can say is, that in the future please use a credit card through paypal in purchasing (protection). As well, seek out proper proof of it working (like a camera video of the card in the case working on a game) or unless you can see it yourself (buy locally).

I do hope you are able to get this fixed and working. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to come up with a suggestion I have missed.

S4lad

Not sure about GIRO as this is first time I heard of it. See if there is any kind of buyer protection. Contact Paypal anyway as there isn't any harm in it either.

Either case, if you cant get your money back, try the other suggested suggestions:
- Drivers - did you use Display Driver Uninstaller of your previous drivers and current in safe mode? If not, do so.
- After DDU, install newest drivers. OR, try a previous driver if current one doesnt work.
- Try to undervolt and Underclock the GPU. Vega's can benefit with this as heat is a problem. Sounds like, from according to assimilator, that your GPU is reaching or has reached its safe temp levels for the Vega 56. So there is possibility to the games crashing.
- Lastly, open it up and attempt to apply new thermal pads to the VRM and memory modules, and apply new thermal paste (MX4) to the GPU core and hope that fixes it.

Otherwise, not much else one can do. All I can say is, that in the future please use a credit card through paypal in purchasing (protection). As well, seek out proper proof of it working (like a camera video of the card in the case working on a game) or unless you can see it yourself (buy locally).

I do hope you are able to get this fixed and working. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to come up with a suggestion I have missed.
Thank you everyone who participated in this thread! I will do the steps you told me to do @sepheronx and I will update this thread with my results later.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Thank you everyone who participated in this thread! I will do the steps you told me to do @sepheronx and I will update this thread with my results later.
Please do.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
It's the air boost version which is known for overheating and having issues

System Name Desktop
Processor 7800 x3d
Motherboard Giga b650i aorus ultra
Cooling pk-3 | conductonaut | AC LF II 280
Memory 64g Gskill X5 ddr 6000 cl30
Video Card(s) 7900 xt
Storage 2Tb Inland Premium
Display(s) Armada 27 1440p 165 + 25 1080p 240hz
Case Tt Black Armor : Phantek Evolv shift xt
Audio Device(s) Ae-7
Power Supply Aresgame 850 sff
Mouse Razer Viper ulti
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse I, II, & III
Benchmark Scores assd 6600|x5675 Cne11.5 -1102|Timespy 24000 | TS Extreme gpu 1 - 87 fps
why is he using furmark and not another stress test. Furmark is a POS especially on laptops. It cannot be relied upon correct frequencies at all. You would need another way to test your "hypothetical" vega 56.

S4lad

Update on everything:

I've changed the Thermal Pads and Paste on the GPU and it fixed some issues, uninstalled the drivers how @sepheronx told me to but for it to run stable, the memory has to be downclocked to 700 MHz. I am going to try to sell it. Thanks to everyone again who tried to help.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Update on everything:

I've changed the Thermal Pads and Paste on the GPU and it fixed some issues, uninstalled the drivers how @sepheronx told me to but for it to run stable, the memory has to be downclocked to 700 MHz. I am going to try to sell it. Thanks to everyone again who tried to help.
Sorry to hear your bad experience. But I'm glad you sorted it. Yes, but when selling it, please be honest and state that for it to work correctly that 100mhz on memory had to be dropped.

You may find buyers who are interested in tinkering with it.

May you have luck on your next card.