• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vega 56 - Was I scammed?

S4lad

I've bought a used MSI Air Boost Vega 56 OC and after I installed it I fired up FurMark and everytime it goes up too full load, Fur Mark freezes and the GPU goes back to 0% usage, afterwards I get really weird glitches on the screen. Sometimes the screen goes black for a second and I get notified by AMD Software that the settings were reset. Now I think I have bought a broken GPU, or is something wrong with my system?

System Specs:
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F
Athlon 200GE
16 GB RAM
PSU XFX PRO 550W

I've tested it in a friends rig and it caused the same issues
His Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo I don't know
16 GB RAM
PSU be Quiet System Power 9 650 W

In attachment: GPU-Z screenshot

Attachments

• gpu-z.jpg
    gpu-z.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 634
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
FurMark is a known power virus that puts unrealistic load on the GPU, so much so that graphics card manufacturers have built in specific detection to throttle cards when it's run. If you want a synthetic benchmark, use Cinebench R20.

Why aren't you using the latest 20.7.1 driver?

Does the card work fine in the games you want to play?

S4lad

FurMark is a known power virus that puts unrealistic load on the GPU, so much so that graphics card manufacturers have built in specific detection to throttle cards when it's run. If you want a synthetic benchmark, use Cinebench R20.

Why aren't you using the latest 20.7.1 driver?

Does the card work fine in the games you want to play?
I didn't use Cinebench R20; I've used the optional driver options; I've not tested games but I've been watching YouTube with the card and the browser randomly went blank for a second at moments.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
What are the temperatures showing on it when it happens? Vega's were not only power hungry but also ran very hot and I know I had a customer who has a Vega 56 (Gigabyte) that would fail due to high temperatures (games crash). Also, I assume you purchased it used so there may be issues due to bios. I assume that due to Core speed being much higher than what it is said for the GPU listing in TPU: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rx-vega-56-air-boost-oc.b5102

Edited.

S4lad

What are the temperatures showing on it when it happens? Vega's were not only power hungry but also ran very hot and I know I had a customer who has a Vega 56 (Gigabyte) that would fail due to high temperatures (games crash). Also, I assume you purchased it used so there may be issues due to bios. I assume that due to Core speed being much higher than what it is said for the GPU listing in TPU: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rx-vega-56-air-boost.b5101
It reaches 76 celsius and crashes, and I was suspecting it too that the previous owner did something to the bios. It is an OC version, maybe that explains the higher clock.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
It reaches 76 celsius and crashes, and I was suspecting it too that the previous owner did something to the bios. It is an OC version, maybe that explains the higher clock.

No, the Boost is 1520mhz. Yours is showing 1620mhz. So I assume the bios is messed.

Before we progress - can you tell me if it has a bios switch on it? If so, please flip the bios switch and lets see what it shows then.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
What are the temperatures showing on it when it happens? Vega's were not only power hungry but also ran very hot and I know I had a customer who has a Vega 56 (Gigabyte) that would fail due to high temperatures (games crash). Also, I assume you purchased it used so there may be issues due to bios. I assume that due to Core speed being much higher than what it is said for the GPU listing in TPU: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rx-vega-56-air-boost-oc.b5102

Edited.
You can swap bios but cannot alter the bios, probably needs new thermal pads on the vrms, but that's ideally, could be broken.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
You can swap bios but cannot alter the bios, probably needs new thermal pads on the vrms, but that's ideally, could be broken.

What? Doing a previous search, I see that this isn't first time a MSI Vega 56 Air Boost OC has been flashed and has same showing info that this persons Vega shows. The clocks are not correct either.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613

Edited.

Nope, 1622MHz is correct, if confusing. Both MSI's and TPU's pages for this GPU list the max clock at 1520MHz, yet the card's actual BIOS in the TPU DB is indeed specced for 1622MHz: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/207056/msi-rxvega56-8192-180316

76 degrees is well under the 85 degrees maximum that Vega will throttle at.

@S4lad I would try updating to latest drivers and seeing if that fixes it. If not - try downclocking the GPU by 100MHz using something like MSI Afterburner, and see if it's stable at that speed. If so, you might be able to get the rated 1622 out of the card by doing a full clean of the HSF. You can also try replacing the thermal paste and pads as a last resort.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Nope, 1622MHz is correct, if confusing. Both MSI's and TPU's pages for this GPU list the max clock at 1520MHz, yet the card's actual BIOS in the TPU DB is indeed specced for 1622MHz: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/207056/msi-rxvega56-8192-180316

76 degrees is well under the 85 degrees maximum that Vega will throttle at.

@S4lad I would try updating to latest drivers and seeing if that fixes it. If not - try downclocking the GPU by 100MHz using something like MSI Afterburner, and see if it's stable at that speed. If so, you might be able to get the rated 1622 out of the card by doing a full clean of the HSF. You can also try replacing the thermal paste and pads as a last resort.

thanks for the correction. I thought it was 100mhz over what is said.

If all else fails, then one can do a vbios swap. But that is if all these other suggestions fail.

Edit: FYI, those temps are not bad. So I doubt its temp issue.

Last edited:
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro

If all else fails, then one can do a vbios swap. But that is if all these other suggestions fail.

Vrm temperatures don't show up on much and specifically the GPU memory vrm overheating can cause these types of issues with Vega, they lead hot lives, and dry out vrm pads for fun.
As I said ,no one online has managed to effectively edit a Vega bios but you can swap it, so unlike some Polaris you won't see mining edited bios, I have tried and checked back many times on that.

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Stop running furmark, does it crash/artifact in games? If so contact the seller and start a return if possible

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613

And a correction from me - Vega 56's temperature target is 75 degrees, it's Vega 64 that has 85. (This can be confirmed by looking at the temp target in the BIOS I linked.)

The PSU OP has is also a possible concern - both MSI https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-Vega-56-Air-Boost-8G-OC/Specification and AMD https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-56 recommend a minimum of a 650W PSU for Vega 56. That 500W XFX is a decent PSU, but I don't know if it's entirely up to handling this card.

@S4lad Essentially, your card is thermal throttling. My new #1 suggestion is to ensure the HSF is clean and clear. Also make sure that the case you've got the card in has sufficient airflow to feed it - you can try running without the side panels on to see if it helps. If not, I'd suggest underclocking and undervolting the card to lower its performance, but also power draw and therefore heat output, to ensure stability.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Vrm temperatures don't show up on much and specifically the GPU memory vrm overheating can cause these types of issues with Vega, they lead hot lives, and dry out vrm pads for fun.
As I said ,no one online has managed to effectively edit a Vega bios but you can swap it, so unlike some Polaris you won't see mining edited bios, I have tried and checked back many times on that.

Good to know. Ill have to remember that and look into it.

And a correction from me - Vega 56's temperature target is 75 degrees, it's Vega 64 that has 85. (This can be confirmed by looking at the temp target in the BIOS I linked.)

The PSU OP has is also a possible concern - both MSI https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-Vega-56-Air-Boost-8G-OC/Specification and AMD https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-56 recommend a minimum of a 650W PSU for Vega 56. That 500W XFX is a decent PSU, but I don't know if it's entirely up to handling this card.

@S4lad Essentially, your card is thermal throttling. My new #1 suggestion is to ensure the HSF is clean and clear. Also make sure that the case you've got the card in has sufficient airflow to feed it - you can try running without the side panels on to see if it helps. If not, I'd suggest underclocking and undervolting the card to lower its performance, but also power draw and therefore heat output, to ensure stability.

Then this reminds me to contact my friend about his vega 56 to make sure it isn't thermal throttling then. Although I think his temps were max at about 70 Celsius.

Good to know. Ill have to remember that and look into it. I remember the blower fan models mostly have the heat issues. So is entirely possible the VRM can be the problem. I guess the OP should disassemble the card and replace the pads.

But there is a high possibility the card is no good. I had two powercolors come back to me that were artifact pretty bad and that was with little use in them. Undervolting and reducing speeds did help in stopping it but that was pretty bad for the card to be like that with little use or not mined.

@OP when you purchased the card, did you verify from him/her that it wasn't mined or modified in any way? As well, is there a possibility you can return the card?

Last edited:

S4lad

Good to know. Ill have to remember that and look into it.

Then this reminds me to contact my friend about his vega 56 to make sure it isn't thermal throttling then. Although I think his temps were max at about 70 Celsius.

Good to know. Ill have to remember that and look into it. I remember the blower fan models mostly have the heat issues. So is entirely possible the VRM can be the problem. I guess the OP should disassemble the card and replace the pads.

But there is a high possibility the card is no good. I had two powercolors come back to me that were artifact pretty bad and that was with little use in them. Undervolting and reducing speeds did help in stopping it but that was pretty bad for the card to be like that with little use or not mined.

@OP when you purchased the card, did you verify from him/her that it wasn't mined or modified in any way? As well, is there a possibility you can return the card?
The seller told me that he doesn't know anything about what happened to it when the first person owned it (Sounded already Sketchy) + I sadly can't return it, he doesn't want to accept it.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
The seller told me that he doesn't know anything about what happened to it when the first person owned it (Sounded already Sketchy) + I sadly can't return it, he doesn't want to accept it.
If you paid with PayPal on eBay he has no choice.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
I was scammed through the PayPal Friends and Family method.

I think you can submit a chargeback to your credit card. Tell Paypal and have proof of documentation of purchase, how they refuse to take it back, and that it doesn't work as it should. Unless the person who sold it to you initially said it doesnt work, then you can get a chargeback.

S4lad

I think you can submit a chargeback to your credit card. Tell Paypal and have proof of documentation of purchase, how they refuse to take it back, and that it doesn't work as it should. Unless the person who sold it to you initially said it doesnt work, then you can get a chargeback.
He told me that it worked for him and that there is something wrong with my system. I've got a furmark Screenshot from him if you want it.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
He told me that it worked for him and that there is something wrong with my system. I've got a furmark Screenshot from him if you want it.

it isn't me you need to prove it to. It is Paypal.

It wont be your system either, as you stated it is same effect on both your and your friends system. There is a possibility the seller screwed up in packaging it. How old is that furmark pic? Lots of possibilities that the person who sold it sold a defective card. I was sold a RX 570 just recently where I also got the same - furmark proof of it working. When I installed it at home, it was giving me really strange issues. It wouldnt work till I got it working on another machine which GPUZ showed 0 on the core speed. That is when I noticed the bios was modified so I flashed it back to a default bios of the card (ASUS STRIX 570) and it worked as intendend.

All I am saying, is that the person probably sold you a defective card. You can always do a charge back and prove it doesnt work for you on both yours and your friends system. Unless you misshandled it.

Anyway, did you flip the bios switch on the card just to give it a try? No harm in trying it. Just entertain me. As well, try what @Assimilator said as well about DDU and replacing drivers. Then try what @theoneandonlymrk suggested in taking it apart. You could also see about downclocking the card and undervolting it.

S4lad

it isn't me you need to prove it to. It is Paypal.

It wont be your system either, as you stated it is same effect on both your and your friends system. There is a possibility the seller screwed up in packaging it. How old is that furmark pic? Lots of possibilities that the person who sold it sold a defective card. I was sold a RX 570 just recently where I also got the same - furmark proof of it working. When I installed it at home, it was giving me really strange issues. It wouldnt work till I got it working on another machine which GPUZ showed 0 on the core speed. That is when I noticed the bios was modified so I flashed it back to a default bios of the card (ASUS STRIX 570) and it worked as intendend.

All I am saying, is that the person probably sold you a defective card. You can always do a charge back and prove it doesnt work for you on both yours and your friends system.
PayPal doesn't do anything about the Friends and Family scams I heard?

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11

Maybe not Friends and family method of payment. So If its connected to your credit card, I suggest calling the credit card company then in order to do a chargeback. But that may take a while as they will also do an investigation. So make sure you have proof that you did correct and it is defective.

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Your credit card issuer would, that's what he said, does it crash in games, does it crash on the other bios switch