• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vega Frontier Edition to Pro WX-9100 via Bios Flash?

Bengineer

For my workload, it would be ideal to have pro CERTIFIED drivers in my PC for not-pro-certified prices, and found a Vega FE online and might pick one up.
Vega FE and the WX-9100 have the same GPU (architecture, process node, model #), same Memory configuration (all HBM/GDDR-- cards are ECC), and the same VRM.
This effort isn't pointless: Even though the Vega FE pro mode is great, the WX9100 is significantly better at many workloads and consumes 50W less power.
The WX-9100 pro drivers won't work on Vega FE as it stands, but can you simply flash the Vega FE with WX-9100 bios and then install the certified drivers?
There are countless posts of proud owners claiming success with flashing Vega 64 to FE for better performance. If this doesn't work out I might do that.

I was looking on a similar forum: and a user said bios flashes don't work across cards with different video outputs.
For a second, I thought this mission was a lost cause, but I saw someone else flash Vega FE 8gb bios on the Gigabyte Vega 64 OC, a card with 6 video outputs, 2 more than the reference version.
This may mean that the "video output incompatibility" is incorrect.

So the question still stands: Can WX-9100 16gb Bios flash to the Vega Frontier Edition?
And if not, why? Is there anything I'm missing?
It'd be great to hear your thoughts...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
For my workload, it would be ideal to have pro CERTIFIED drivers in my PC for not-pro-certified prices, and found a Vega FE online and might pick one up.
Vega FE and the WX-9100 have the same GPU (architecture, process node, model #), same Memory configuration (all HBM/GDDR-- cards are ECC), and the same VRM.
This effort isn't pointless: Even though the Vega FE pro mode is great, the WX9100 is significantly better at many workloads and consumes 50W less power.
The WX-9100 pro drivers won't work on Vega FE as it stands, but can you simply flash the Vega FE with WX-9100 bios and then install the certified drivers?
There are countless posts of proud owners claiming success with flashing Vega 64 to FE for better performance. If this doesn't work out I might do that.

I was looking on a similar forum: and a user said bios flashes don't work across cards with different video outputs.
For a second, I thought this mission was a lost cause, but I saw someone else flash Vega FE 8gb bios on the Gigabyte Vega 64 OC, a card with 6 video outputs, 2 more than the reference version.

So the question still stands: Can WX-9100 16gb Bios flash to the Vega Frontier Edition?
No need to flash

For the FE card or WX9100 use this driver.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R7 3800X@4.350/525/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero7 @bios 2703/?
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu Monoblock Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in two sticks./16Gb
Video Card(s) Sapphire refference Rx vega 64 EK waterblocked/Rtx 2060
Storage Samsung Nvme Pg981, silicon power 1Tb samsung 840 basic as a primocache drive for, WD2Tbgrn +3Tbgrn,
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync, LG 49" 4K 60hz ,Oculus
Case Lianli p0-11 dynamic
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Iksu force fx
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

Firstly I thought it was the wx8100 that was Vega second it's excruciatingly difficult to bias flash to a frontier but impossible to flash the wx bios, they're heftily write protected, you can't force flash, I tried.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Doesnt Vega Frontier Edition lack the professional-level driver certification that the Radeon Pro WX-9100 has
They released that driver to support the cards properly, it is in the list, use and enjoy.

@theoneandonlymrk is right, don't bother