• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vega Nano Sticker

As the title says. Can't upload photo in PM to eidairaman1 or original thread I posted in, so here is a new thread. GPUZ screenshot to follow shortly.

EDIT: Has Samsung HBM

Attachments

• Vega Nano.jpg
    Vega Nano.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I have seen it & it seems to match. It's a pain to get it all setup again to get GPUZ screenshot as the card does not fit in my main computer, it's too long. I will update this thread at some point with GPUZ screenshot.

Most likely you wont need it as it appears as powercolor are the only 1s to have made this gpu

And you can't modify Fury/Vega/VII card bios, only crossflash which isn't guaranteed to work.

I would find a washer mod and a high quality thermal compound/pads for the gpu and vrm circuits.

Last edited:
Most likely you wont need it as it appears as powercolor are the only 1s to have made this gpu

And you can't modify Fury/Vega/VII card bios, only crossflash which isn't guaranteed to work.

I would find a washer mod and a high quality thermal compound/pads for the gpu and vrm circuits.

I do all my modifications in hardware ie, power/voltage mod is done around the controller by changing the resistors. I already have most of the upgraded parts already here resistors, capacitors, Liquid Metal Compound, 17W m/k Thermal Pads.

You will see something different on this card & it will be the first GFX card in the world to have it, but the new hardware part will not be here until May this year as it's a new manufactured part for the year 2020, ie, it's not been released to the public yet.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I do all my modifications in hardware ie, power/voltage mod is done around the controller by changing the resistors. I already have most of the upgraded parts already here resistors, capacitors, Liquid Metal compound, 17W m/k Thermal Pads.

You will see something different on this card & it will be the first GFX card in the world to have it, but the new hardware part will not be here until May this year as it's a new manufactured part for the year 2020.
I'd use kryonaut over liquid metal but that is just me. @buildzoid does hard mods as well, check out actually hardcore overclocking on youtube

I'd use kryonaut over liquid metal but that is just me. @buildzoid does hard mods as well, check out actually hardcore overclocking on youtube

I have seen a lot of his videos, but I don't think I have seen him do the power mod other than using his e-power board. AFAIK he does not have a tiny soldering tip that is required to remove & replace the 0603 resistors, & this requires very good soldering skill to removed them without breaking the tracks or the soldering pads.

EDIT: As luck will have it you can see the resistors in the screenshot in this thread. I'm going to love this card as I can do all the mods without taking the card apart, unlike the R9 Nano which is a pain as it's all on the other side of the PCB.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I have seen it & it seems to match. It's a pain to get it all setup again to get GPUZ screenshot as the card does not fit in my main computer, it's too long. I will update this thread at some point with GPUZ screenshot.

A Nano is too large?

A Nano is too large?

That's correct.

The Vega Nano is too long when compared to the R9 Nano as the card hits the southbridge heatsink. The Vega Nano backend will be cut off so that it will fit into my normal ultra tight fitting case. Currently to test the Vega Nano, it has to be done on an open bench.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
That's correct.

The Vega Nano is too long when compared to the R9 Nano as the card hits the southbridge heatsink. The Vega Nano backend will be cut off so that it will fit into my normal ultra tight fitting case. Currently to test the Vega Nano, it has to be done on an open bench.

Lordy, what case is this?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
That's correct.

It be be easier to cut the chipset heatsink.

No worry of delaminating the pcb, cracking it or breaking traces

Lordy, what case is this?

It's not the case really, it's the custom heatsink that is sitting on the southbridge which is a rare Noctua NC-U6.

It be be easier to cut the chipset heatsink.

No worry of delaminating the pcb, cracking it or breaking traces

The heatsink/shroud will be cut off to the same size as the R9 Nano. Then thermal pad is placed between the heatsink & shroud utilizing the shroud as a heatsink. This method is already been used on my R9 Nano & is more or less invisible as it's internal & can't be seen from the outside. You need to take the card apart to see the internal changes/location of the extra thermal pads.

That's the advantage of having a "metal shroud" & works brilliantly to great effect on the R9 Nano & I expect the Vega Nano to also take advantage of this. The only downside is the shroud get's really hot under extreme loads where you can't touch it as it's far too hot. This shows this modification does work.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
It's not the case really, it's the custom heatsink that is sitting on the southbridge which is a rare Noctua NC-U6.

The heatsink/shroud will be cut off to the same size as the R9 Nano. Then thermal pad is placed between the heatsink & shroud utilizing the shroud as a heatsink. This method is already been used on my R9 Nano & is more or less invisible as it's internal & can't be seen from the outside. You need to take the card apart to see the internal changes/location of the extra thermal pads.

That's the advantage of having a "metal shroud" & works brilliantly to great effect on the R9 Nano & I expect the Vega Nano to also take advantage of this. The only downside is the shroud get's really hot under extreme loads where you can't touch it as it's far too hot. This shows this modification does work.

Makes sense but shouldnt be touching parts while energized anyway lol.

Good mod then, go for it.

Makes sense but shouldnt be touching parts while energized anyway lol.

Good mod then, go for it.

The internal/bracket plate is normally used to cool the MOSFETS & the shroud is connected to this. The shroud does not get hot enough because it has very poor contact to the bracket which is normally held by four screws. You can tell if the shroud is working hard enough by first stressing the GPU before the mod, then checking how hot the shroud gets after mod. There's a huge massive difference between the two temperature.

After extreme stressing the GPU & then turning off the PC, even after 3 mins has passed you still can't hold the card, far too hot. This modification has been working on the R9 Nano for over 10 months now & will be passed onto this new card.

NOTE: For the R9 Nano you can pick what you want to cool. It's either the GPU or the MOSFETS not both together. For Vega Nano card it looks like GPU only.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
The internal/bracket plate is normally used to cool the MOSFETS & the shroud is connected to this. The shroud does not get hot enough because it has very poor contact to the bracket which is normally held by four screws. You can tell if the shroud is working hard enough by first stressing the GPU before the mod, then checking how hot the shroud gets after mod. There's a huge massive difference between the two temperature.

After extreme stressing the GPU & then turning off the PC, even after 3 mins has passed you still can't hold the card, far too hot. This modification has been working on the R9 Nano for over 10 months now & will be passed onto this new card.

NOTE: For the R9 Nano you can pick what you want to cool. It's either the GPU or the MOSFETS not both together. For Vega Nano card it looks like GPU only.

Sounds like major mods are needed, weird how on r9 fury nano you can't cool both.

Sounds like major mods are needed, weird how on r9 fury nano you can't cool both.

You can't do both at the same time on the R9 Nano because at a given temperature the MOSFETS will send heat back to the GPU.
I had one strange reset & that was enough for me to separate the two. I value my card a lot, so I picked MOSFETS cooling as I don't want my card to blow-up. R9 Nano has hardware power mod, so I must protect the MOSFETS.

At some point I will go all out power/voltage mod so that I don't need all AMD fancy software, just the GFX driver & nothing else. From what I can tell a very small number of games are faster with just the driver installed.

Here is GPUZ & Error after lots of pinging to the card. It also looks like DX11 games do not work, but Vulkan & DX9 seems ok.

No access to Radeon software as only part of the software is installing.

Capture vega GPUZ.PNG

Capture fault.PNG

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I'm preparing this card for a flash update to see if it solves the problem why the full Radeon Software is not installing. In the mean time a scheduled capacitor hardware upgrade which was planned months ago has gone ahead.

PHOTO1: These are 16v capacitor from AVX 25m Ohms ESR, same used on the R9 Nano, rated @125c max temperture. I was not able to fit these to the right hand side of the card under the internal cooling plate as the new capacitors are too tall, so the old ones are still there.

Fujipoly 17W mk 1.5mm thick is fitted, but this is too thick. Anyone trying this do not fit 1.5mm pads here, you need thinner thermal pads 1.0 or 0.5 thickness. I do not have the thinner pads here so I force it in. At lease I have absolute maximum compression on the pads giving me better heat transfer.

PHOTO2: New & the latest capacitors from Panasonic are fitted. They have just been released to the pubic. These capacitors are the LOWEST ESR Polymer SMT capacitor I have ever come across. They have move the quality of goal post. I could not believe my eyes when tested with a ESR meter. Every single capacitor from my batch measured 1.5m Ohms ESR or lower @100.00Hz & ESR got even lower @120.00Hz. They supposed to be 3m Ohms. Vega card is fitter with binned 1.3m Ohms with the very best binned capacitors reserved for the CPU & the remaining (mostly 1.4m Ohms) is forcing me to make changes to other devices.

CPU to be fitted with 1.2m Ohms ESR Capacitors with a brand new method "never seen before" of stacking capacitors behind the core.

Old Capacitors measured 6 to 7m Ohms with ESR meter.

I put a lot of effort into making the external modification discreet, ie not make it easy at first glance to see it has been modified, but I can see 1 or 2 errors in the photo, so I will adjust that soon.

A brand new method was used for the first time to get the capacitors in perfect alignment, all but two capacitors & I'm fairly sure no one has ever done this, but I can see I need to correct one capacitor.

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Attachments

• NEW Panasonic Caps.pdf
    457.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited: