• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Verizon connection issue

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Just got back from a vacation and got a call from my next door neighbor/buddy/peer that his new computer is having some funky internet issues. Pages like Google & Youtube will load just fine (not sure about video since he has yet to download Flash) but many websites do not. He can Google search anything and have results returned but most of the links he clicks on do not load.

A quick call to Verizon went something like this:
-Dealt with the robot for 9 hours until he spammed 0
-Tech support tells him to hard-reset the router
-Sets up new username & password
-Has us check if it the internet works (it doesn't)
-Tells us it's not a networking problem and says bye

From what he's told me, his brother's computer has been having spontaneous connection drops ever since the hard-reset.

It's a Verizon Westell [insert model here] modem/router. I don't know the specifics of the model but if needed I'll get it.

I just wanted some input on what the issue could be, because I'm networking-illiterate and I've always had luck here.

Summary:
A 3/768 Verizon DSL connection hard-wired to 2 computers through a Verizon-provided Westell modem/router is giving one (brand new) computer connectivity issues with indefinite load times for selective websites. The modem is also spontaneously dropping connection.

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Baring any troubles on the outside(Verizon's cable/wire), then try:

1. A different DNS provider(Google DNS, OpenDNS, NortonDNS, etc.).

2. Reset TCP/IP stack

Open a command prompt. To open an elevated Command Prompt window, click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
At a command prompt, type the following command "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"(without the quotes), and then press ENTER.
Reboot the computer.

3. Flush and Reset the DNS Client Resolver Cache:

Open a command prompt. To open an elevated Command Prompt window, click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
At a command prompt, type the following command "ipconfig /flushdns"(without the quotes), and then press ENTER.

However, if the trouble is, either, in the Verizon's lines or with their CO equipment, then you will be chasing your tail, until you can get them to dispatch out a tech.

Here are some tools that may help you determine your line/connection quality:
Broadband Tests and Tools

Verizon's Broadband Speed Test After you go thru the test windows/pages and it finishes, look for the link "here" in the line about details. See what info it gives. It usually shows cable good in the test, on my connection, maybe it will give some insight there.

Could be weather related and overlooked, if you had line damage in your area from the rains or hurricane. Short, cross, ground, wet splice, stretched splice/wires, or a few other problems.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Just got back, I decided to reinstall Windows after trying everything 95V said to no avail. Everything works fine now!

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, it did not work for you, but, heh, you got a nice clean install now to play with.:)

Glad you got it going though.:toast: