• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Verry big issue with my laptop only Pulling 12 Watts under load rather than its 17 Watts (it's odd)

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
It looks like a bug in the Intel GPU driver. The GPU MHz should not be locked to the minimum speed.

Forcing an older computer to run Windows 11 may not be a great idea.

is it a viable option to up the voltage?
The voltage is not adjustable on 3rd Gen CPUs.

Try checking the Power Balance box in the TPL window. Set it to 1 and 31.

unclewebb

I do not know if installing Windows 10 is going to fix this problem or not. Something is not right. I am not sure when or if your laptop ever used to work properly.

I only install Windows to a blank hard drive. I do not try to save anything. Clean installs have a lot less problems.

Ok i will be writing here when i am done donwgrading

I have finished the downgrade and now the gpu klocks move agIn there is only one main issue left tmy laptop throttles at only 60 degrees

When the laptop reaches 60 the I gpu just throttles down to 350

unclewebb

@TheGuyWithTheTrashPC

Some 3rd Gen U series CPUs can be forced to enter TDP-down mode. This can force the CPU or Intel GPU to throttle based on a TDP value lower than the 17W rated TDP. Your computer seems to be using this feature. TDP Level 0 is normal 17W TDP mode. TDP Level 1 is usually TDP-down mode. If your CPU supports it, TDP Level 2 would be TDP-up mode but not all CPUs support all three modes. HWiNFO might be able to show you what TDP Level your CPU is in. When the iGPU is throttling, I am guessing the CPU package is stuck in TDP Level 1.

In ThrottleStop you can try checking the TDP Level box and setting that to TDP Level 0 or to TDP Level 2 if your CPU supports that mode. You can also use the Lock feature to lock in this TDP Level. The problem I found is that some computers use a duplicate TDP Level setting that can be set separately than the TDP Level that ThrottleStop lets you control. If an embedded controller wants to throttle your CPU down to TDP Level 1, it can do this no matter what ThrottleStop is requesting.

One thing that might control this is the Intel DPTF driver. The Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver. If you can find this driver in the Device Manager and delete it and block Windows from re-installing it, maybe you can fix the low TDP mode that your computer is going into. I have never owned a laptop with this problem so you will need to do some Google searching to find out more about this issue.

Let me know if you find a fix.

Wow thanks for this VERRY GOOD explanation I will try it when I am back home

And how am I supposed to stop the driver from reinstalling?

unclewebb

how am I supposed to stop the driver from reinstalling?
There are a variety of methods. Search Google. It is possible.

You have to first check if you can find the DPTF driver on your computer.

Here is a HWiNFO example. I used ThrottleStop to force my CPU into TDP Level 1 mode. Even my 10850K desktop CPU supports different TDP Levels.
TDP Level 1 drops the TDP from 125W down to 95W. The low TDP Level also reduces the default 3600 MHz base clock down to 3300 MHz.
Your Intel GPU might have a similar feature which drops it down to the minimum speed. Low TDP mode in the early 3rd Gen U series CPUs was a horrible idea.

1680287133124.png

Last edited:
I just arrived I am home now

It seems to be locked for me what dose this mean? @unclewebb

all of the intel drivers

Should I delet all of the IntelPPM files

Attachments

• 1680292406601.png
    1680292406601.png
    72 KB · Views: 56
  • 1680292501662.png
    1680292501662.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 56

unclewebb

Should I delete all of the IntelPPM files
No.

Did you Google search for DPTF driver?

HWiNFO does not automatically update so restart it to see if it shows TDP Level 1 when the GPU is running slow. HWiNFO shows the CPU can get forced to 14W and only 800 MHz in TDP Level 1.

After doing everything you said
Here are the results
-The laptop now runs at it's designated TDP (In battery mode)
-when plugging in to the AC adapter the wattage just drops down to 10-7 watts
After a restart with it plugged it it only runs at 15-16 watts
-when running without battery and only with ac it only runs with 14 watts
DPTF Drivers do not exist on this laptop (Disabaling the IntelPPM Probably *solved it*)
The main issue now is that the wattage drops as soon I plug the laptop in

Am going to sleep now it 2 in the morning for me

After starting the laptop up without a battery in furr mark the wattage went up to 20 watts, it dropped down to 10 after 15-20 aeconds

When changing the source of power the wattage simply crashes down

I have to somehow prevent it from going over 17 watts to prevent it from wattage throttling

I just don't know how

Now its running at only 10 watts without me doing anything

Now it's just running at 7 watts again

When plugging in the power just dirops down to 7 watts

As soon as the cpu goes under load the gpu just drops down verry low

From 7 watts to 0.2

System Name sleeper Compaq
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi
Cooling ARCTIC Freezer 7 X, Nexus D12SL-12
Memory PNY XLR8 Gaming 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX750Ti GDDR5 2GB
Storage XPG SX6000 Lite 128 M.2 NVMe, Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Sony 32" bravia
Case Compaq SR5700 series
Audio Device(s) Samsung Pleomax S2-500B 2.1. Sennheiser hp.
Power Supply SilverStone 500W Strider Essential ST50F-ES230 V2.0
Mouse Logitech G1
Keyboard Logitech 350
Software Win11 Home
I cannot say for power draw or TDP as I have limited experience of laptops like yours, but
for the fun of it, you can try out OCCT also to see if you can dig out some more info how it behaves.

unclewebb

As soon as the cpu goes under load the gpu just drops down verry low
The way these 3rd Gen CPUs work is the package power budget is shared between the CPU cores and the Intel GPU. The problem is that this power sharing sometimes does not work very well. The Power Balance feature in ThrottleStop was designed to provide some control over power sharing between the CPU cores and the Intel GPU.

1680363462633.png

Setting those two boxes to 1 and 31 should provide more power to the Intel GPU compared to the CPU cores.

Setting these boxes to 31 and 1 should do the opposite. This setting would make the Intel GPU throttle before the CPU cores are forced to throttled.

Full load stress tests like Prime95 and Furmark completely overwhelm these low power U series CPUs. They were not designed for this. There are usually no settings in ThrottleStop that can prevent throttling when running these kind of stress tests.

I am glad that Intel stopped using these control methods. Some 3rd Gen U CPUs were terrible even when they were new. Too many different throttling schemes, all overlapping each other, were built in by Intel. These CPUs only worked OK when a manufacturer did not use all of these different throttling schemes.

The main biggest issue now is when I plug the laptop in the power draw just goes down low
And when I unplug it it stays low

250 watt psu

I just observed when the it gets forced in to TDP down mode ONLY when plugged in

unclewebb

Post a screenshot so others can see the solution you found.