1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

very low frame rate with X800XT AGP

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by feon, Feb 5, 2009.

1. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a very low frame rate when running tf2. i get 20 or less frame in the game, and i usually runs at 10, and it's the same problem with other orange box game. i've tried turn everything low or off but it seems does nothing to improve the performance.i have a celeron d 2.66G+1G DDR 400*2+X800XT+280w psu. Some gut say they run the game fine just with a P4 cpu+ati 9800pro +768 Ram. what can i do? is it a psu issue, or the cpu?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    you could try this config

Make a text file in your CFG folder called autoexec (c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\USERNAME\team fortress 2\tf\cfg\autoexec.cfg) and paste the above quoted text (taken from here)

You could also try setting "mat_queue_mode 2" in the console to enable multi-threading, but it's very buggy and will most likely crash.

Are you using the latest VGA drivers too? May help a little bit.

EDIT: The above config should work for all Valve games in the orange box and for CS:S etc too. I also take that by "CD 2.66G" you mean a core 2 duo. Overclocking your video card (which is a major bottleneck if you've got a core 2 duo) will give you a little extra performance.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i've done that already...

i've done everything in optimizing the game but nothing help with the framerate so i'm thinking it's the hardware's problem, especially the psu...

4. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    What are your complete specs? Could be your PSU as you say.

5. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    CD 2.66G+1G DDR 400*2+X800XT+320g hd+280w psu

6. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    feon says thanks.
  7. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    how much w do i have to get?350w or 400w?

8. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    My son is playing the HL2 demo just fine with a 4000+, 1GB DDR400, X800XL AGP, 350W PSU. (everything stock)

CD means Celeron Dual Core, right?

280W is low, but the video card would be alarming if it's not getting enough juice.

Are you sure that nothing is running in the background? Sounds like a virus scan to me. Or maybe worse....

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. timta2

Thanks Received:
    What resolution are you playing at feon?

10. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    this pertains to if feon has a Celeron D:

Help me out, but doesn't Hyper-Threading actually HURT game performance? Maybe feon should turn that off in BIOS?????

feon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  11. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    thank you all guys...i have a celeron d, not duel core, and i tried the game from 1024*768 to 640*480. in fact, optimized the game did very little help to improve the framerate, so i suspect several problems like drivers(i change my driver to 7.7 to avoid poor agp drivers support from ati), cpu(as it is not so powerful as p4 but not the most important issue, i think), and the psu which i suspect most.

btw, my grammer may be poor...

12. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont know where to turn off the ht but i don't thing celeron d have ht...

13. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm sure that there is nothing like virus run in background, because when the system is idle, my cpu is at 15% or below. i monitored the system when i run the game that the game and Steam(sometimes) eat most of the cpu.

14. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The celeron D doesn't have hyperthreading. I think your celeron is the source of your problems man. I had a celeron 2GHz and computer life sucked with it trying to play BF1942, Doom 3, Battlefield Vietnam, didn't even try BF2... the list goes ever on and on.

TF2 is suprisingly resource hungry. I didn't get a solid 60FPS on the rig in my specs (except I had an 8600GTS at the time) with everything cranked as high as it could go. It was noticibly choppy.

feon says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think it can at least run in everything low...

i used to run GOW smoothly...but that time i was running with 512m DDR1*2...and now i upgrade to 1g DDR2*2...is it possible that the ram eat more juice?

16. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Somehow I doubt your power supply is causing problems but I would get a new one anyway. I wouldn't trust running my toilet on a 280w power supply.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    i know 280w is very low. i used to ues a 6200a and they worked fine. when i upgraded my gpu, the psu issue was the last thing in my consideration and now it spoil all the things up.

18. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Well if your running DDR2 that means you must have upgraded your motherboard to support that new DDR2. Oh and your on a celeron, which is pretty much crud for gaming unless you OC it to 4+ghz. They have almost no L2 cache, which games love.

The new motherboard may have more power requirements then the previous board.

280 watts is very low...I dont even care what brand it is...thats just to low.

You my friend are due for a system upgrade. At least Powersupply, Video Card, CPU.

feon says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  19. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, i haven't. my motherboard has both ddr and ddr2...

20. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like it's your CPU bottlenecking. I assumed you meant core 2 duo when you said CD. TF2 is a very CPU heavy game and I get 30-40FPS when a lot of stuff is going on ingame. Could be wise to just upgrade your whole rig.

feon says thanks.
  21. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Ah I see you got one of the hybrid motherboards. Lots of problems with those as far as compatibility and oc'ing goes.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    i used to run GOW smoothly...but that time i was running with 512m DDR1*2...and now i upgrade to 1g DDR2*2...is it possible that the ram comsume more power?? or the ram itself causing the problem?

23. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    X800 is native PCIE card so it uses a translator chip so it can be used as AGP card. There is very good chance that is not playing good with your mobo especially if it is not intel chipset.
    Look in dxdiag if AGP acceleration is enabled. If you have mobo with via chipset you may need to make clean install of OS and install FIRST VGA DRIVER THAN VIA Hyperion DRIVER with AGP GUARD ( I think that was )

feon says thanks.
  24. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    my board should not be a problem as i dont oc...

25. feon New Member

Thanks Received:
    my x800xt is native agp, not the trans one...and i have done all the basic jobs after install the system...

BTW,what is a agp guard