1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Very strange power problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BradleyKZN, Apr 5, 2009.

1. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, yesterday a mate brought his pc around to lan, and he told me about an unusual problem he has had since he bought the pc in february. When he switches the pc on, his blue leds in his case light up and his fans spin on then off but nothing actually comes on for about two seconds. Then it boots up fine. What on earth is going on? He has an intel q8200 an asus p5q/e mobo, a force3d 4870 and a gigabyte odin silent 585w psu.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    My PC does the same thing. It probably has to do with how the motherboard BIOS is set with regards to booting up after a power loss (Power Management section).

For my Gigabyte motherboard it's called "AC Back Function" with settings of "Soft-Off", "Full-On", and "Memory". I have it set to "Full-On".

I have my PC plugged into a power strip. I leave the PSU switch set to on. After I shutdown my PC in WinXP, I switch the power strip off.

Switching the power strip back on, the PC fans will start up for second then shut off for two seconds. Then everything starts up as normal.

If I had it set to "Soft-Off", the PC won't come back on when I switch the power strip back on. I'd also have to hit the power button on the front of my case...

BradleyKZN says thanks.
  3. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, if it doesnt have any other boot issues, I'd say its probably what the above poster stated, a setting somewhere.

Some computers just seem to delay a bit before coming on screen- perhaps the bios is doing one of the long memory checks before giving the POST beep? Sometimes I think there's a "quick boot" option that makes it faster.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol i'm surprised no one knew of this.

Its an asus* feature to prevent failed BIOS settings stopping the system from booting. System powers on at stock (with the multi at 6x), then reboots at BIOS settings. If the BIOS settings fail, on the next boot it goes ZOMG! OC HATH FAILED J00! PRESS F1 TO FIX IT!

Its been on asus boards for years.

*I have seen this on gigabte boards too. Im not sure if its standard on some intel chipsets, or if its a leftover from the brief asus/gigabyte merger.

BradleyKZN and nafets say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Oh this is nice. I haven't used an ASUS board since my A7N8X :eek:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol thanks guys!

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member