1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

vga upgrade when we need it or not?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by laszlo, Nov 18, 2009.

1. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I start this thread because i see that a lot of people jump in upgrade when a new card is released or just they think "my 1/2 year old card is not enough" and i see a lot " future proof" mention...and i hope this will help to save money especially in the current "crysis" which a lot of us play at a few $/hr..:ohwell:

Most users have now LCD's and predominant are the 22" with 1680*1050 res. and with decent response time ( i don't want to immerse in this even if the producers lie with 2 gtg or other small numbers given but we don't see it so let it ..)

today's LCS's are working at 60Hz-DVI connection or 75 Hz D-sub,so no matter how many fps over 60(or75 d-sub) the video card deliver to the monitor it won't be processed and displayed;so if your brand new card achieve 400 fps it will be converted to 60 and forget the rest...you we'll see them only displayed as achieved numbers
    even using hdmi input were available won't increase the displayed frames.

advertised lcd's with higher refresh rate 100-120.. or more use interpolated frames which are put between the actual frames (60 received) with the purpose of improving image quality and smoothness but they have a side effect also, to make this time is needed so input lag is created so gaming can be affected.

thank's to Wizz and other reviewer we have nice graphs that show us the fps achieved by our card (and newer ones)on our favorite resolution, with different quality settings, the real produced FPS;if this is below 60 we need to upgrade (after we test our self during gaming) but if we still have over 60 fps than we don't need to upgrade right now as is useless (except the bench-markers and people who don't look at expenses)

who like to read:
    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
    http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_8.html

i hope my humble opinion based on facts we'll help a few to save $$$$$$$$:eek:

any opinion is welcomed :) but don't forget "The Truth is Out There" :laugh:

now i go back to game at 60 fps...:laugh:

BraveSoul says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I agree totally... seems we get caught in the "I've got to have another 10fps" syndrome, when really the difference is minor - let's say you're already getting 110 fps.

The answer to upgrade or not is really subjective. Hell, it's just plain fun getting new hardware :)

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  3. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    thanks for answer; i agree with you except the part with 10 fps extra over 110 ;nobody we'll see any difference on lcd ;i know is fun getting new hardware but i intend my post to people who don't need it right now...geting new hardware i admit is fun .. but only at the beginning ..in my experience i don't get bored of it only used to have it and forget about it...untill is doing the tasks:)

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    :rockout:
    nice topic, i try to stay above 50, but with newer more demanding games newer faster hardware is needed just to stay above that,,,, with lots of eye candy afcors:toast:
    im hoping that more monitors with higher hz will be available