• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Video TDR failure

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Okay guys, this one has been driving me absolutely nuts.

So specs are up to date, issue seems to be the 1080Ti but i hope I'm wrong.

I usually had my power limit set to 117% in MSI AF and have had no issues with that OC. The only thing that recently changed per hardware has been my wifi card which is the Rosewill AC1900 PCI card installed since my last USB card didn't play nice. Rosewill site was down but a member mentioned it's a TP-Link Archer rebrand so I stuck those drivers on and it was a clusterf*ck of who knows of crashes and lockups and wifi being all weird but it finally straightened out.

Another buddy of mine was hitting 2200mhz-ish on his 1080Ti and used EVGA Precision X to overclock, which includes voltage control over MSI AF. I gave it a go and while tweaking voltages to the max monitored change of 1.05v it didn't do the same goodness as MSI, so I uninstalled it.

Queue the beginning of the TDR festival.

I've had iGPU issues with a rainbow flashing monitor off VGA on the motherboard, I've had lockups with either the iGPU outputs flashing or the entire dGPU outputs going poof. Entire system lockups where it looks like a picture spanned across all four monitors. (VGA monitor taken down)

I thought maybe the EVGA stuff didn't reset so I reinstalled, hit default MANY times and the sliders did actually default back, saved, uninstalled. Ran the card at stock and seemed okay for a bit but nooooooooo here comes the TDR failure again multiple times and the sudden lockups.

I've reinstalled the drivers MANY times on both GPUs, used the 381 NVIDIA one and whatever Intel has up to date and lo-and-behold everything is okay. Ran my VM, played PUBG with a buddy and whatever else I usually do. However today in the last hour was three crashes.

One was from recording Killing Floor 2 at lossless, at 5760x1080, at 60fps, at maxed settings, at once. Safe to say I found the limit of my machine.

Second was the dreaded TDR failure, again.

Third was a full system lockup.

Mind that with the power limit maxed or not it seems to have the same effect. Event logs don't say much and BSOD reader comes up with NVIDIA driver error but drivers are clean and have been cleaned MANY times. There isn't a pattern that I can see happening besides the frustration this brings.

pls halp.

EDIT: Thermals are all okay. Was about to type that in when a full system freeze happened again. fml

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Memory is overclocked ?

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Memory is overclocked ?
I left the memory alone and right now everything is stock. Just had another crash so I'm going to convert the wifi drivers over since it wasn't TDR and see if that helps.