• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

View a gpu .rom bios?

I appologise. Originally posted this wrong place. I downloaded a supposed 10gb bios to unlock the, according to multiple sources, half disabled vram on the p102-100. However i cannot find a place in gpuz to view the bios file. Given the ability to extract a bios is there, and upload with its info, i figured theres a way to view, but i do not know how. Sorry if this is obvious. The file could be a fake bios for all i know. Do not want to brick my card so wouls like to check here.

Processor Intel i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Lightning
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7800 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 165Hz
Case Fractal Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Logitech G512
The BIOS probably wont have anything easily human readable - do you know what you're looking for if you could view the file?
It is possible that a card has more memory present than it is configured to use, but even IF some p102-100's have 10GB, maybe not all do.
You could look at the memory chips and count them to see if it actually has 10GB installed.
If you showed pics of the card showing the all the RAM chips someone could tell you.
Or you could confirm with your "multiple sources"....

The BIOS probably wont have anything easily human readable - do you know what you're looking for if you could view the file?
It is possible that a card has more memory present than it is configured to use, but even IF some p102-100's have 10GB, maybe not all do.
You could look at the memory chips and count them to see if it actually has 10GB installed.
If you showed pics of the card showing the all the RAM chips someone could tell you.
Or you could confirm with your "multiple sources"....
Id wanna view the core count ans basic info of the bios file. Make sure everything but memory was the same. And the sources i saw are mining forums and flashed cards a long time ago. Seeing as these are 5gb it suggests these were 1080 ti 10gbs.

The specs are the exact same just diffrent memory ammount (10gb vs 5) and given the trend of mining cards like the p104-100 also having disabled half vram is likely but are flashable to 8gb. I counted the vram chips. 12 of them on the p102-100, like a 1080 ti, or titan also the p102 vareant of gpu. but diffrent memory bus than 1080 ti not 10gb. This site all but confirms it. Also the pcv around the chip/screws clusters are vram chips so i counted 12. Given i do not have the tools to remove heatsink it seams the card is to the 10gb 1080ti as the p104 is to 1070. Just re.oved outputs and less pci. So it seams like this is the case.

Given the vbios is made readable when uploaded, i assumed it was some method to right click or drag and drop the rom into gpuz that was obvious. Someone who didnt name files, and did a bad overclock would be in a similar situation. My appologies i thought could be checked in a similar way i didn't know of.

Attachments

• 20210819_094529.jpg
    20210819_094529.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 228
System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
Run NVFLASH -- version your.rom
Unfortunately the VRAM size info is missing

Processor Intel i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Lightning
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7800 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 165Hz
Case Fractal Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Logitech G512
given the trend of mining cards like the p104-100 also having disabled half vram is likely
I did some reading and I see you are correct. Looks like they use 11x8Gb chips - 1 of the pads is vacant.
Sounds like this is indeed possible.
I'd still feel better positively ID'ing the VRAM chips, to make sure timings are ok - IDK how many brands of these were made or for how long.
I found a couple references to GDDR5 latency, and the possibility that the reduced memory channels(and capacity) in the 102-100 help reduce memory latency and increase hashrate - of course if you need more than 5GB to mine you may be willing to live with that.
Good luck!

I did some reading and I see you are correct. Looks like they use 11x8Gb chips - 1 of the pads is vacant.
Sounds like this is indeed possible.
I'd still feel better positively ID'ing the VRAM chips, to make sure timings are ok - IDK how many brands of these were made or for how long.
I found a couple references to GDDR5 latency, and the possibility that the reduced memory channels(and capacity) in the 102-100 help reduce memory latency and increase hashrate - of course if you need more than 5GB to mine you may be willing to live with that.
Good luck!
Thanks. This is my first time flashing a bios. Hope it goes well. And as im mostly gonna use in prime mode for linux gaming, it seams like the 5gb vram should help for shaders.