1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Viewsonic Smart Display, Windows Vista & Windows Terminal Server

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Archy, May 19, 2008.

1. Archy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Smart Display, Vista, & Terminal Server. OR Tablet PC

Good Morning

I'm currently thinking about building an HTPC for use on our hi-def tv. I had originally planned on using the iMon software/remote to control the HTPC during media usage until I had a brainstorm.

Tweeter has their $20,000 home theater room to show off some of their products including the 7" or so lcd remote that controls the dvd player, projector, lights, etc...
    I found that Viewsonic has a product that I believe will fit my interest. The Airpanel V150, 110(etc), as well as the Airsync v-210(Might be more suited for an HTPC). Unfortunately the technology seems to be a bit dated, and I could only find these displays on ebay, and google has very little information.

The HTPC will be running Windows Vista. My two questions are...1. The panels generally say Windows CE Display, some of them make it up to Windows XP. Will these displays work with Windows Vista? 2. The original Windows Terminal Server(the way the smart display communicates with the PC) would only allow one monitor at a time. Therefore, if I were using the smart display, my DLP TV would not get any image. Will Windows Vista allow multiple monitors, one being the DLP TV and the other being the smart display?

I know I can use a PDA and access the pc remotely...but unfortunately my PDA is on its deathbed and doesn't like to take a charge. I would really like to have a 7"-10" LCD screen that I can take around the house with me & control the functions of the PC. Allowing me to choose some music while I am by the pool, or check my email without being tied to the desktop. Expense is the main reason I've resorted to the Smart Display, versus a tablet PC or other means. These displays go for about $100-$200 now a days.

Thanks a ton

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. Archy New Member

Thanks Received:
    With a bit more digging, I finally found a tablet PC that matches my needs decently. The Fujitsu 3400 runs for about $150 on ebay, compared to the much higher prices of tablet pc's that I had been seeing. From this device, I could hopefully run vnc, rmd, or something to that effect & control the htpc?

Any suggestions on other tablets around the same price? Software to use? Etc...

Thanks!