• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Virgin Media Broadband/Landline Router help

Processor Ryzen 7 3700XT
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Pro 4
Memory 16GB Corsair 3600MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon 580 8GB
Storage Adata 1GB NVME SSD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x 27"
Case Be Quiet 500
Power Supply Corsair 850 Gold Plus
Mouse Drevo Falcon
Keyboard Redragon K551 RBG
Hi

I have a virgin media 3.0 hub which i wanted to change the mode from router to modem and invest in new router however i also have a landline telephone which connects directly into the virgin media hub 3.0.

I have tried to find a router which would be compatible for my landline telephone aswell as the broadband. From my understanding the router would need a WAN connection for the broadband and an ADSL connecting for the telephone.

Initially i thought a converter ADSL to Ethernet so i could stick it in the LAN ports in the rear of the router, but i'm not sure that would work ?

Apologies if this is a confusing post!

thanks
Craig

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
If you're on Virgin, I'd have guessed you'd be on fibre to the premises?? Would what they supply you be any good or is it really that bad?? :)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Hub3 seems like a decent modem(at least on paper).
If you have some serious performance degradation, you may want to call your provider and replace it. As far as I remember there were some issues with cable modems based on Intel Puma chipsets, and this thing is likely on the list of affected devices.

But if your wired speeds are still fine, and you only need to bump your WiFi speeds and coverage, then you can go about it several ways without resorting to "modem" mode:
1) Buy a decent wireless access point instead
2) Switch your new router to AP mode
3) Just plug in WAN of your new router to one of Hub3 LAN ports and go from there (set it up as-is, and you'll have a subnet separate from Hub3's network)
4) Plug in LAN to LAN, disable DHCP server on your new router. Pretty much the same thing as AP mode, but with more flexibility.

The choice of wireless router doesn't really matter - all decent ones support all of the above. Just get whatever fits your bill, or your spec.
Got me a TP-Link AX10 router about a month ago, and so far I'm really happy with it. It's the cheapest WiFi6 router, but so far it outperforms my previous "temporary" D-Link DIR-842(aka AC1200), and beats the crap out of my old ASUS RT-AC1300.

Initially i thought a converter ADSL to Ethernet so i could stick it in the LAN ports in the rear of the router, but i'm not sure that would work ?
That's your modem's job, and it's already doing it. And when it comes to DOCSIS modems, ARRIS is basically the only game in town (your Hub 3 is based on TG2492s).
You can try and get a newer DOCSIS 3.1 modem, but to be honest - it's not worth it. Basically your only option is SBG8300, which costs nearly $300 and may not be available in UK.
There are some alternatives from Netgear and TP-Link, but they are as rare as pink unicorns.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
Why do you want to split things?

Even if you can put the virgin box into modem mode then i would guess a new router would still have to pluged into the old box so more info is needed on what your plan is by getting a seperate router.

@phill virgin have some of the best speeds in the uk if your lucky enough to be in an area they will supply it and in most places i believe the main cable virgin use that comes into many houses is a chuncky coax cable rather than pure fibre to the home, (still 100 times better than BT's firbe to the cab crap).

The UK is messed up with all it's diff companys and fiber to cab or fiber to the home or coax cables and what ever crap we have lol

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 3700XT
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Pro 4
Memory 16GB Corsair 3600MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon 580 8GB
Storage Adata 1GB NVME SSD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x 27"
Case Be Quiet 500
Power Supply Corsair 850 Gold Plus
Mouse Drevo Falcon
Keyboard Redragon K551 RBG
Morning guys, thanks v.much for the replies.

If you're on Virgin, I'd have guessed you'd be on fibre to the premises?? Would what they supply you be any good or is it really that bad?? :)

Yes it's fibre optic @ 100mbps. The virgin hub 3.0 is the issue from the other forums which i've read and youtube. I have random wifi disconnections throughout the day to my devices, especially to the household mobile phones. We have extremely poor mobile phone signal in the house therefore we constantly rely on the wifi to make incoming/outcoming calls.

Hub3 seems like a decent modem(at least on paper).
If you have some serious performance degradation, you may want to call your provider and replace it. As far as I remember there were some issues with cable modems based on Intel Puma chipsets, and this thing is likely on the list of affected devices.

But if your wired speeds are still fine, and you only need to bump your WiFi speeds and coverage, then you can go about it several ways without resorting to "modem" mode:
1) Buy a decent wireless access point instead
2) Switch your new router to AP mode
3) Just plug in WAN of your new router to one of Hub3 LAN ports and go from there (set it up as-is, and you'll have a subnet separate from Hub3's network)
4) Plug in LAN to LAN, disable DHCP server on your new router. Pretty much the same thing as AP mode, but with more flexibility.

The choice of wireless router doesn't really matter - all decent ones support all of the above. Just get whatever fits your bill, or your spec.
Got me a TP-Link AX10 router about a month ago, and so far I'm really happy with it. It's the cheapest WiFi6 router, but so far it outperforms my previous "temporary" D-Link DIR-842(aka AC1200), and beats the crap out of my old ASUS RT-AC1300.

That's your modem's job, and it's already doing it. And when it comes to DOCSIS modems, ARRIS is basically the only game in town (your Hub 3 is based on TG2492s).
You can try and get a newer DOCSIS 3.1 modem, but to be honest - it's not worth it. Basically your only option is SBG8300, which costs nearly $300 and may not be available in UK.
There are some alternatives from Netgear and TP-Link, but they are as rare as pink unicorns.

I'm going to try the Access Point mode and see if the cures the problem and leave the telephone cable connected the virgin hub and connect everything else to the Access Point. Seems the easiest step to try first - thanks.

Why do you want to split things?

Even if you can put the virgin box into modem mode then i would guess a new router would still have to pluged into the old box so more info is needed on what your plan is by getting a seperate router.

@phill virgin have some of the best speeds in the uk if your lucky enough to be in an area they will supply it and in most places i believe the main cable virgin use that comes into many houses is a chuncky coax cable rather than pure fibre to the home, (still 100 times better than BT's firbe to the cab crap).

The UK is messed up with all it's diff companys and fiber to cab or fiber to the home or coax cables and what ever crap we have lol

Purely from the connection drop outs i'm getting on the devices. I cannot get another fibre optic broadband provider in my area so i need to stick with virgin media unfortunately. It doesn't help the customer support @ virgin medial is poor.

Thanks
Craig

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Purely from the connection drop outs i'm getting on the devices. I cannot get another fibre optic broadband provider in my area so i need to stick with virgin media unfortunately. It doesn't help the customer support @ virgin medial is poor.
Just call the support again and demand to change your hub to a newer model. With these symptoms it probably is that problem I mentioned earlier (defective SoCs, also a subject of class-action lawsuit in US).

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
I have random wifi disconnections throughout the day to my devices, especially to the household mobile phones. We have extremely poor mobile phone signal in the house therefore we constantly rely on the wifi to make incoming/outcoming calls.

sounds more like you're suffering from channel congestion interference maybe select a different channel for your wifi to use manually as auto never seems to work properly you'll always end up on an congested channel or as it has been said you just have a duff modem/router in which case ring Virgin and demand a newer one