• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Virtual memory too low message in Win XP

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
My friend is getting this message on occasion when using certain programs, like AOL for example. After getting the message the program shuts down. I used to get the same message on my old AMD Duron pc, but i haven't had it since putting together my current system. So my question is this how to avoid getting low virtual memory and may be there is a way to increase it somehow?

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
Yeah. My Computer>Properties>Advance System Settings>Under performance click settings>Advance>Virtual Memory>Change>Set to whatever you please>Reboot

Namslas90

Yeah. My Computer>Properties>Advance System Settings>Under performance click settings>Advance>Virtual Memory>Change>Set to whatever you please>Reboot

If it's an OEM rig(hp,gateway,etc), it may now allow you to set it to "what you want". Pre-builts tend to like Multiple's of you Ram; IE - 3 X 1024(for 1GB of RAM) for maximum, and 1.5 X Ram for minimum. Some machines will work better if the Min and Max are set to the same size.(IE;3 X RAM). The pageing file - Virtual Memory cannot exceed 10% of your HDD size.

:toast:

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
Thanks guys, i'll let my friend know.

kwchang007

If it's an OEM rig(hp,gateway,etc), it may now allow you to set it to "what you want". Pre-builts tend to like Multiple's of you Ram; IE - 3 X 1024(for 1GB of RAM) for maximum, and 1.5 X Ram for minimum. Some machines will work better if the Min and Max are set to the same size.(IE;3 X RAM). The pageing file - Virtual Memory cannot exceed 10% of your HDD size.

Lol.....most OEM's do let you set it to what you want. That is unless they changed windows somehow. This laptop and our dell can. Also....I believe the multiple's I think that's windows defaulting page actually. I have my Page File set to the same size for min and max. It's supposed to help. Idk if it does 2gb means anything that's being used needs to go and page unless I'm like photoshopping....anyways to the OP good luck.

Namslas90

Lol.....most OEM's do let you set it to what you want. That is unless they changed windows somehow. This laptop and our dell can.

You would be suprised how some OEM builders (hp for example) have adapted the windows OS, adding/removing things and locking out changes through the registry etc. It's called a proprietary Operating System and all of them have used it to some extent in the past/present/future. They pay Microsoft for the changes, to optimize what they want your computer to do thus optimizing it to be compatable with same OEM components and not others, without a lot of work(if even possable). Some also have an extra chip in the mobo to ensure you can't make changes to the BIOS and Registry.
(or, you can change them, but a reboot - reloads the pre installed defaults).
This is nothing new in the OEM world. They use it to increase sales of their own stuff.

kwchang007

You would be suprised how some OEM builders (hp for example) have adapted the windows OS, adding/removing things and locking out changes through the registry etc. It's called a proprietary Operating System and all of them have used it to some extent in the past/present/future. They pay Microsoft for the changes, to optimize what they want your computer to do thus optimizing it to be compatable with same OEM components and not others, without a lot of work(if even possable). Some also have an extra chip in the mobo to ensure you can't make changes to the BIOS and Registry.
(or, you can change them, but a reboot - reloads the pre installed defaults).
This is nothing new in the OEM world. They use it to increase sales of their own stuff.

Yikes as far as I know this laptop and our other dell don't have a modded os. Of course that's all I know....