1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Virus removal

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chewy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so a friends computer has a virus on it that will not go away even after fully re-installing Windows.

Would using a program such as Acronis Drive Cleanser to wipe the HD work? would the HD lose its firmware data and need to have it reinstalled?

Im going to have another go at this so hopefully with TPU's help it goes smoothly! :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Did he format the drive when he reinstalled windows? If he didn't completely format it, it could still be lurking in the files.

Chewy says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. bigtye New Member

Thanks Received:
    When you say "fully reinstalling windows", do you mean a reformat reinstall or a repair reinstall?

Have you tried Spybot or adaware? Both are very good although some claim adaware is a resource hog, I have found both effective however in removing crap.

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

It will need to update but can remove viruses before the os boots up if after scanning it finds they can't be removed while the os is running. Definately worth a shot if you haven't already.

Is your friend using any other sort of virus protection? How did he get it, did he download a file for a "software update" or something else? Also which virus is it, have you googled as there are some very good pages with excellent instructions on how to manually remove many stubborn viruses and repair the damage they do.

For example the time/date clock virus one:

http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/05/virus-alert-in-clock-and-how-to-restore.html

Sorry if I have told you stuff you already know,

Best of luck

Tye

Chewy says thanks.
  4. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Zero-fill the drive. The ultimate format.

Chewy says thanks.
  5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    She had it formatted but that did not fix it, so Im guessing something remained on the HD after the format :p Thats why Im looking for something beond the Windows re-install disk, to make sure I zap it when I look at it.

I have a feeling that maybe they did not boot directly from the Windows disc. I will have to get more information on that one.

Thanks for all the tips, and Tye, it came in trough e-mail Thats pretty much all she knows about it I'll have to look at it myself to get more infomation. I just like the format way usually, since I already know how to do that easily :p but ill be sure to try and google something up when I find out what virus it is.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Sonido

Sonido New Member

Thanks Received:
    Before she formatted, did she backup any files and then started using them on the new installation? If so, that may be the problem. My brother had the same issue, so I formatted and reinstalled Win Vista twice before he told me what he was doing (even though I asked him 40 million times :banghead:). Also, if she has any extended partitions (other HD's, flash drives, floppies, ETC.), it could be infected. Good luck :toast:

If you need any kind of help, don't hesitate to ask.

Chewy says thanks.
  7. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^ thanks, if there are any other partions I plan on formatting the drive to 1 partion. I'll have to do a virus scan on teh back-up data before formatting.

Thanks for the tips!

10 Year Member at TPU