1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista - hardware/software compatibility & 32bit vs 64bit versions.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Black Panther, May 16, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Within a couple of months I plan to get Vista.

Mainly to enjoy dx10 in games and especially now since I've read that with the release of SP1 Vista is much more stable.

But: will I need to throw away my sound card or will it still somewhat work under Vista?

Also, I guess that although my processor is the crappiest c2d... at 3.0Ghz it shouldn't be that bad and should still be somewhat future-proof, however to add more ram I would need a 64bit OS and there wouldn't be much point to purchase another XP now...
    I've read a lot about 32bit vs 64bit - mostly they outline the advantages since 64bit is the way to go for the future, but are there any disadvantages of 64bit OS?

Final question :eek: I've got 4 ram slots with 2x1GB in dual channel. Would dual channel still work if I purchase another 2x2GB and add them?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I see no reason not to purchase Vista 64 bit. I went with it and I have none of the stability issues, nor the performance issues that seem to plague the 32 bit versions. 64 bit supports more RAM and has great driver support. I have found no disadvantages to running the 64 bit version.

As for the ram, I am pretty sure that it has to be the same type of ram in all slots for it to have dual channel in 4 GB mode.

Black Panther says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    you can dual channel the 2 1gb ones, and then dual channel the 2 2gb ones if thats what you were talkign about, just get 64 bit, i wish i had,

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. rampage

Thanks Received:
    now days there is little reason not to go X64, you may have to get some newer version of some software but that is about it, as for the ram you will be to keep to the same density sticks of ram .. 2 X 1 gig / 4 X 1 gig, 2 X 2 gig / 4 X 2 gig and also try to get matched pairs or at least ram with simlar speeds and timings

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Ur setup should be fine for vista and 64bit definitly go for 4 gig

6. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Your sound card should work fine.
    2. 2 x 1gb + 2 x 2gb will work in dual-channel, however you may run into some stability issues being that they are not all identical sticks, however just running the 2 x 2gb sticks should give you all the memory bandwith you need.
    3. You may run into some nuances with 64bit driver support but obviously now it's much better than it's ever been.

10 Year Member at TPU