• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista Raid Problem Nvidia

gto78

Processor AMD 3500+
Motherboard Asus A8N-E
Cooling stock
Memory PNY Optima 2 X 1GB 2.5-3-3-8 1T
Video Card(s) ATI X1950 Pro stock
Storage Raid 0 Maxtor ultra 133 327GB total, & Seagate U320 18GB
Display(s) NEC 19"
Case some huge chieftec thing with easy pop out drive bays and glass door
Audio Device(s) built into Mobo
Power Supply who knows- 550 watt
Software xp Pro and win2k
I have a dual boot setup with several hard drives, and when booting off the vista installation I have a problem reading the Raid 0 array. Instead of showing the array, windows keeps telling me to format each individual drive thats in the array. When I scroll down the device manager to the storage controllers, it shows a valid Nvidia Raid controller. Then scroll up to the disk drives menu, it shows them seperate instead of one array.

Now if I boot the computer into XP, or into win 2k- both of them have no problems showing one big hard drive instead of two separate drives. It's obvious that Vista has a problem communicating with the nvidia raid controller. It's like it's communicating with the ide controller and bypassing the raid controller? I don't know that much about how it all works, I'm more of a user than an engineer.

BTW I've tried all the newest drivers I can find and they only lead to a big blue screen and locked computer that says Royal.sys error. Then I have to go to last known good configuration.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to cure it? Thanks

JOE:banghead:

gto78

Processor AMD 3500+
Motherboard Asus A8N-E
Cooling stock
Memory PNY Optima 2 X 1GB 2.5-3-3-8 1T
Video Card(s) ATI X1950 Pro stock
Storage Raid 0 Maxtor ultra 133 327GB total, & Seagate U320 18GB
Display(s) NEC 19"
Case some huge chieftec thing with easy pop out drive bays and glass door
Audio Device(s) built into Mobo
Power Supply who knows- 550 watt
Software xp Pro and win2k
I checked that link, but I have Nvidia Nforce 4. I dont think those drivers will work for me. Thanks anyways. I just switched stuff around so it boots off XP instead of fista, I'll check on it every once in a while to see if they got their sh!t straight. It was slow anyways.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I checked that link, but I have Nvidia Nforce 4. I dont think those drivers will work for me. Thanks anyways. I just switched stuff around so it boots off XP instead of fista, I'll check on it every once in a while to see if they got their sh!t straight. It was slow anyways.

Honestly if I was you I would just run xp for the next few months.. I have vista too but I'm not installing it.. I have easier ways to give myself spyware and hacks..lol.. The software will actually make your games run worse.. yea thats right.. vista suxs so bad your games will run worse.. xp will run them better.. that "should" change within this year with updated drivers but from what I know of windows, i'm not expecting much.. their just good at blowing hot air.. thats what happens when you remove programs from a bundled group that tend to build up dependencies for eachother.. you get poop...lol.. anyway, I'd say you made the right choice.. hang with xp.. vista is garbage..
oh yea, also theres no directX 10 games out so that's not an issue..
once DX10 makes some games I'll switch to vista most likely.

Last edited: