1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista shuts down my pc while installing ....HELP !!!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mikey8684, May 6, 2007.

1. mikey8684

Thanks Received:
    Hey Guys

Sorry if this is already some where in the forums. :D

Basically I have a copy of Vista Ultimate and I'm having trouble installing it on the chosen HDD -

Seagate Barracuda ATA II 20GB

Now I get to a point where it goes all the way through the steps and stuff verifies it has enough space and stuff then starts installing ... but when it hits like 70% or so on the "copying files to be installed" bit it just shuts down my pc ..... :banghead:

Anyone know why this happens or can point me to the correct thread. :confused:

Cheers guys. :respect: :respect:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. LonGun

LonGun New Member

Thanks Received:

The first thing that can cause the system to shutdown I'd think of is processor got too hot due to not being cool enough, especially when boot from CD heats it up extremely fast. Check make sure your processor's heatsink is secured installed, and there's no layer of dust built up on its fan and heatsink itself. If there's layer of dust, clean it (vacum, or blow the dust out using those Duster air pressure can.)

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. LonGun

LonGun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Second reason would be the capacity on the HDD is too little. Check the Vista System Requirement see if your system meets the minimum requirement. Try larger HDD and see if it makes any difference. If same thing happens, then it's heat. If not heat, then maybe you should search for any info about the subject .. like "Installation shuts down computer", etc. in this and other forums see if anyone experienced the same problem like yours and the solutions.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. mikey8684

Thanks Received:
    Nah definately can't be heat or dust or stuff like that and when I'm going through the installer it says the 20gb is enough so I dont know what the problem is ..... :confused:

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...vista should be okay on 20gb..I installed my Vista Ultimate on a 20GB partition on my Seagate 'Cuda SATA2 500gb fine.
    Something is getting overloaded or failing though, such as CPU or Memory...Maybe run Memtest Boot ISO and see what you get there..
    Try installing Vista at stock speeds and see if that helps...I've heard of some people having issues when installing Vista while OC'd for some odd reason or another...but the OC is perfectly stable after installation. I can't explain it cause' I don't understand how this could be...but it's worth a try.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. mikey8684

Thanks Received:
    Ok I've just put the 20gb in and tried again.

I go through Step 1 all fine.

When it gets to Step 2 it turns off while "Expanding Files" around 70% ... sometimes under sometimes over.

The furthest its gone is 78% and the least its done is 63% so I dont know WTF is happening.

If its overheating the CPU then thats shit coz people would have to upgrade cooling just to install ...... :shadedshu

I dont want to dual boot off my 250GB and I dont want to Upgrade (downgrade maybe lol) over my XP MCE.

I had the 20GB sitting there so I thought I'd check it out and install it on there just to have a play and stuff. :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

I've searched the net and cant find a descent answer ... :banghead:

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps the HD is dying?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Athlon2K15

Athlon2K15 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    had the same problem..turned out it was hanging because of a conflict with my marvel lan

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. mikey8684

Thanks Received:
    So do you think I should disconnect the network cable or do you mean that vista didnt like your onboard lan :confused:

This is what I'm doing -

Disconnecting my SATA HDD

connecting my 20gb PATA

trying to install :banghead:

I am leaving my printer, webcam and network cable plugged in as well ... do you think it could be these ....??? :confused:

So maybe I should act like its a fresh build and just plug in mouse, key/b and monitor. :pimp:

Or possibly the drive is dying and I really have no choice but to get another. :cry:

Sorry I'm rambling but I'll try some more ideas. :D

:respect: :toast: :respect:

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. rhythmeister

Thanks Received:
    Unplug all the unneccessary peripherals, then you can rule them out! Follow the KISS principal: Keep It Simple, Stupid :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Athlon2K15

Athlon2K15 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    yeah always unplug anything that isnt neccesary when installing an OS

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    try disabling onboard lan before installing,you can always re-enable once its done.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. mikey8684

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: hahahahahaha :laugh:

thats cool ... yeah might try it later today hopefully its just that, coz everytime I've tried I left it all plugged in ..... :p

Cheers :respect:

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU