• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista/Win 7 installed from HDD

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
HiHi,

i have googled around and found this question asked a few times but have never found a decent responce back,

is there a way to install Windows 7 from a HDD to a nother HDD?... instead of using a USB as the medium to install off, swap it for a HDD?

i have read a few threads around that have gone in circals often ending in it cant be done or why would you want to ect....

im either looking for how this can be done, or why it cant be done in a bit more detail then it just cant be done.... is it due to the way a hdd boots or?

is ther a way in witch you can put the windows install on to a Sata HDD, insert the drive into the system then boot that drive into windows installation?

sorry for the long post that basicaly asks the same question twice, but i wanted to make sure everyone knew what i was asking.

System Name ThinkPad T410
Processor Intel Core i5 540M
Motherboard Lenovo 2522DM1
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) nVidia NVS 3100M
Storage 128GB SSD
Display(s) 1440x900
Software Windows 8.1 64bit
Well it seems to me that if you plug in an external hard drive it will see it as a 'flash' drive. So just search how to do it for the flash drive and then apply those same things to the hard drive. When in the bios just select USB as your boot device.

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
All I can say is just try it...
Grab a clean HDD/partition, extract the setup files there and try to boot it up.

All I know is that upgrading works perfectly this way.

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling Bykski Ryzen Waterblock + BlackIce Pro 360 radiator + D5 variable pump + Corsair HD120 x 4
Memory 16 GB G.Skill RIPJAWS @ 4000Mhz 18-22-22
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti with Bykski Waterblock
Storage 2x 970 EVO Plus 1tb + 960GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3 TB Other
Display(s) Samsung 40KU6300 UHD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF-X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX + Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Logitech G304 + Razer Goliathus Speed mouse pad
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma RGB
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 10/High Sierra Dual Boot
Yeah you can do that.
make a Primary and Active NTFS partition on the drive from which you want to install windows. Copy all files from Win7/Vista ISO ( or DVD ) to this partition. Boot from it, and it will load windows setup.

Another option , not exactly what you looking for, but this will speed up your installation as setup will run from HDD to HDD.
1. copy all files from Win7/Vista DVD to your HDD ( Any HDD, it doesnt matter if you choose same HDD on which you gonna install win7/vista. Just make sure you copy contents to other partition )

2. boot with Win7/Vista DVD.
3. Choose "Repair this computer" ( or whatever it says in setup screen )
4. Now you will have access to command prompt
5. In command prompt, navigate to the folder/partition where you had copied contents of DVD.
6. type "setup.exe" .
Now it will load setup from HDD instead of DVD, it will be faster as files will be copied and expand from HDD to HDD. it will save more than 15 minutes of installation.

I never burned any DVD for vista/win7 since they are released. I do all setups from my HDD. I use the bootable DVD I have made myself for recovery purpose to boot and install the OS.

Last edited:
System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
thx for your replys,

ill try to setup to boot from HDD tomorrow and see how well that goes.