• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VLAN'ing the WAN through the LAN.... (LOL)

So I know this wouldn't be anything even remotely close to best practice.. But I really haven't done anything with VLAN before and I had an idea. I have a PoE switch, which is connected to a big (rack mount) UPS that I am going to upgrade with marine deep cycle batteries to keep my network and a scanner streaming setup running for hours during power failure. The only hiccup I have is the DSL modem. Due to the way the place is wired, the phone line comes into the kitchen first - so I set the modem there to get the best DSL connection. I have a Belkin 12V UPS that I could use but I'd rather not have that big box sitting on my kitchen counter. I thought of using a PoE splitter, but then it dawned on me that it goes right into the firewall, so it won't get PoE from the switch.

Now since this is a managed switch (Nortel Baystack 5520) I was wondering if I could "VLAN" two of the ports to pass data through verbatim, isolated from the other ports, basically allowing the switch to function as a midspan PoE injector between the modem and firewall. The modem is in bridge mode, it gives a public IP. Would this be possible without potentially exposing the LAN to the WAN? Or should I just buy a midspan injector? I like doing things the tinkery way if possible lol!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Put RJ11 ends on the Cat5 cable you have run from the kitchen to the closet, plug that into the phone jack in the kitchen, that brings the phone signal into the closet, and move the DSL modem into the closet.

Put RJ11 ends on the Cat5 cable you have run from the kitchen to the closet, plug that into the phone jack in the kitchen, that brings the phone signal into the closet, and move the DSL modem into the closet.
Where's the fun in that?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U