1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

voltmodding gone wrong.. :-( take the time and read this please??? I need help...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by W2hCYK, Feb 2, 2006.

1. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    HELP!!!

I tried to do a VR mod to my video card to replace the penciling...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first resistor from 1-2 fell off and I lost it, so I thought I could repair it with my variable resistor, so I continued... went to solder on the next lead from the resistor, and it got stuck to the other resistor below it(which i still have) and it fell off... now I'm left with 4 pads... I try to continue soldering on the top, and the pad rips off on point #2 :'( but I see the trace leads to #3, so if I was to solder a resistor from 3-4, and put the VR leads from 1-3, and skip 2, do you think it will work?

I'm not sure if the trace goes to the 2nd pad... I dont want the whole card to go up in flames because I'm pretty sure this can be repaired...

someone help!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    NOOOOO

its screwed over... trace on the other side was also peeled out... cant lift the leg of the chip to solder a resistor there... thats all thats keeping me from fixing it... :'(

I guess I'm going to have to upgrade to PCI-E before I buy my new video card... bah... 9800 Pro again.. :-(

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. EvilCook New Member

Thanks Received:
    i havnt voltmodded yet, but god damn, this is further justifaction of me choosing to pencil mod :/ and im using a 6B pencil too, reduces resistance way slower than the 2B, really sorry to hear u fucked it over dude :/

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. trog100

Thanks Received:
    he he he.. hope u have a sense of humour.. ???

sorrry dude.. but why am i smiling.. he he

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:

If you lostthe resistor, unless you know the resistance, a VR will most likely not work.

No offense, but you need soldering practice... BEFORE trying on live components... ;)

That wire is definatly way too thick to be necessary for a Vmod and may cause unwanted resistance as is, aswell. I like cat5. its solid core copper wire and tins very nicely. moldable aswell since its solid.

Unless you can locate those resistors, give it to an experienced vmodder to have a stab at, or just pronounce it dead... If you leave the resistors off and try to start up I really doubt it'll turn on properly.. :eek:

It also looks like the soldering iron tip you used was a wee bit too large..... and may be why you unsoldered the other resistors aswell..

You REALLY need to know the resistor values for that area of the card... perhaps wizz has some insight from datasheets.. then a reg resistor may work.

Other than that, your good at taking close up shots :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    meh, its dead... just that area thats screwed up... i can live with my 9800p till the summer, I was going to upgrade very soon anyway...

My soldering tip was about the size of a pencil tip, but I kinda soldered at it sideways for some reason.. :-( I should learn next time before I do... saves me the cost in $ for screwing up...

Cat5 sounds like a good idea, copper solders very nicely... :p i feel like crap because of this... ugh.. and imo, it was a good overclocker too... 7300 in 05... :-( NOOOO :'(

I guess modding is a learning process... too bad it costs so much if you screw up!

and yes thank you for comments on my cam, see my thread in general nonsense... lol..

*plays games with 60fps less than before, @ a lower res than before, with less eye candy...

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Checkout this thread here ... traced messed up in the same way ... it maybe possible to repair it ... seems Xtremesystems.org is offline at the moment .. but it does show you how to repair it with a VR ...

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    ill bookmark it... thanks... right now, i dont even care if I can do the VR, if I can repair the resistors, ill be happy...

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. daz New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont feel too bad ive just looked up on my card where yor resistors were and i would have struggled to do that mod! im a nokia repair service agent and also repair car audio! too ambitious! a pencil mod is useless as variations in humidity will cause your regulated voltages to wander allover the place -not good foor stability!

10 Year Member at TPU