• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VR Current Throttling on short term power (PL2)

Zui

Hello, I have problem. The VR Current is always bliking red when my laptop is on PL2 (90 W). When on PL1 (45W) it goes away. Is there anyway to solve that?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Does your CPU have a 45W TDP rating? The voltage regulators that the manufacturer decided to use might be good enough for a 45W CPU and they might be OK at 60W when turbo boost is enabled but it sounds like they were not designed to handle a 90W CPU.

There is only one thing you can do about this. Do not run your CPU at 90W.

Zui

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how much wattage my CPU can take (10870h), however it only scores 7700 pt in cinebench compared to 9000 average when on its TDP ( 45 W). I managed get 9200 when I lower PL2 to 85 and crank up turbo time limit to max. ( Did that because I till had good thermals). With those setting my loptop started at 85 w as expected but then after some time (40s or so) dropped to 70 w and stayed there. Any Idea why. Nevertheless it's still nowhere near the 11000 score that someone scored with the same loptop specs ( Helios 300 the same as mine) without overclocking. My guess is that he's constantly running on a higher wattage ( maybe like 80, because it's throttling at about 86). Do you know how to do that or in general how to up the performance. Thanks

PS: I have a 230 watt power adapter, so I think there should be no problem on the power supply.

Last edited:

unclewebb

it only scores 7700 pt in Cinebench
Are your voltage regulators causing sever throttling while you are running Cinebench. It is really difficult to compare the same CPU when it is installed in two different laptops. Different BIOS versions can change some of the power limits and one laptop might use completely different voltage regulators compared to the exact same laptop model. Parts are sometimes sourced randomly and there can be running changes on the assembly line that are not publicly documented.

My guess is that he's constantly running on a higher wattage
That is probably true. The same CPU model do not all consume the same amount of power. One CPU might need more power so it might throttle more and run slower at the 70W power level compared to another CPU with the exact same model number.

230 watt power adapter
The power adapter size is not related to the power consumption of the CPU. If the BIOS tells the CPU to power limit throttle at 60W or 45W or if the voltage regulators are over loaded causing VR throttling, a big beefy power adapter will not make any difference.

Zui

Do you know a way to keep the wattage at 80. Because I am pretty sure that at that wattage nothing is throttling.

Zui

somehow its not working.
throttlestop.png
Throttlestop FIVR.png

These are my Settings. Is there any room for improvement

unclewebb

somehow its not working.

Set PL2 to 80W.

1656624062779.png

You ignored my advice. :(
Your screenshot shows that you set PL2 to 85W and you set the turbo time limit to 10240 seconds. Why?

Try setting PL2 to 80W and the turbo time limit to the 28 second default value.

Have you tried using ThrottleStop 9.5 yet? It has some performance improvements.

Usually you need to undervolt the Intel GPU and the iGPU Unslice equally. If you only undervolt one of these, it probably will not do anything. If you have a Nvidia GPU, I would not bother lowering the Intel GPU voltage.

Zui

I did what you've said but it didn't work, so I set it back to my old settings.

Hi thanks for all your help. I managed to get it up to 9600. Still not the best but ok. I read somewhere that the memory speed could be the cause of a low score ( mine is locked at 2933 even though RAM is capable of 3200, but Intel is not allowing it and I dont know how to overcome that).

With those setting my loptop started at 85 w as expected but then after some time (40s or so) dropped to 70 w and stayed there. Any Idea why.
When the PL2 is not Clamped that translates also as Dynamic PL2(i believe that's the right word for it). Basically if the thermals can handle the heat,it could run on that set wattage like forever. If it starts overheating(for example when benchmarking) it will throttle down to the PL1 wattage right the way.
You're lucky as on your end it went down only to 70 W intead of what was PL1 set,aka 45 W for some reason. And as much as you're trying to convince us here that your thermals are great,they are not. Every new-ish laptop has the same problem now days,it's not just yours: poor thermals,aka thin heat pipes(don't matter how many are present,it really dosen't make significant difference) with powerfull CPU's that require desktop style cooling in order for them to run at those high wattages advertised by the manufacturers,like 115 W or 135 W for more then 5 seconds.
For example,with my laptop(i7-10750H) which has Liquid Metal on the CPU i manged to run the benchmark at 85 W(that's my PL2) for 90 seconds before the temp. started rising significantly and automatically switched down to PL1( 72 W in my case) and stayed there up until the end.
Sooo if you think about it,my thermals are better then yours cause you achieved only 40 seconds,well,not really. It's all the same and that's why all those benchmarks are for,run them,see where the limits are,set it there and be happy :)
mine is locked at 2933 even though RAM is capable of 3200, but Intel is not allowing it and I dont know how to overcome that
You need your BIOS to be unlocked in order to have access and be able to change the RAM frequencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zui