• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[VR-Zone]DirectX 11 screens...

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
3dFx all the way!!!

It would run fast on almost any system you put one in. PCI or AGP it did not matter.

I hated OpenGL wrappers........

F-32bit color GIVE ME SPEED

E sent me a dual Voodoo 5 card over the summer:)

I wish I had a agp 1 motherboard to put it in.......

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
3dFx all the way!!!

It would run fast on almost any system you put one in. PCI or AGP it did not matter.

3DFX, IMO, has become a very respected and honored name . . . those of us who owned their accelerators were blessed (or possibly crazt, considering how much a VooDoo was compared to the competition).

I've still got a VooDoo 3 2000 AGP chillin here - damn, those cards ass-whipped every competitor on the market at the time . . . and if that wasn't enough, 3DFX also gave us the software with our driver packs necessary for OCing the GPU/DRAM. IIRC, they were the first to be so lienant - it wasn't until which card series did either nVidia or ATI start offering that capability? Matrox sure as hell didn't, and neither did Titan with their Hercules cards.

3DFX? Those boys were off their rockers. But they must've been doing something right to get so many other companies wanting to partner up - hell, Creative even released a VooDoo based 3D accelerator :twitch: It was a shame to see them fold, though - and screw nVidia for how they dicked us 3DFX owners. They bought the company, and then dropped any further support for any 3DFX card :shadedshu

Not only was the VooDoo insanely fast, but let it run some OGL applications, and it was even more impressive - should that application also support their Glide API (e.g. Quake, Quake II), and not only were you kicking some FPS ass, but looking good doing it, too.

I once had a shootout with a buddy who swore his brand new ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP was faster than my VooDoo 3 - so we agreed to a spoils-of-war bench, the winner keeps the losers accelerator. I was sure outright the VD3 would smack his card around, even at stock speeds . . . he didn't know mine was OCed, either :D

Someday, I intend to mount my VD3 in a shadow box . . . it deserves a place of honor! :toast:

BTW - you ever see this article: http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/divers/v5-6000/v56kgb-1.htm

The original boyz of the multi-GPU solution.

Gotta love their company slogan too "So powerful, it's kind of ridiculous."

and, I must acknowledge as well - the original SLI:

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
*brain explodes* informative thread guys. pity those are pre-renders.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM

Thats the card he gave me:)

I want to run doom 3 on vista on it lol

It should do it.......

I HATED they way N bought them. They closed their website like on day one, and boom 3dfx was dead. TOTAL BS.

Then they released the TNT2 card and it sucked so much ass. Everything sucked for years.....

3dfx was all about the parties and having fun and that's what lead them to the green team DOOR.

I didn't buy a N card for many years over the whole mess.

NO company has had the balls that they did. Now PALiT
GTX 280 with nickel DD block/ You can't go to Dangerden.com and order that block. Also do you see a block that nice on the EVGA cards?

I have other pics but I'm under a NDA.

BAD ASS

There is more, we want to push vmod. BUT when people do them no warranty

If you just look 8800Gs Sonic/9600GSO/9600GT/8800GT all non reference with a vmod on a water block will all run at 900Mhz stable.

NO SHIT

The tripple slot cooler bad ass, and who cares if the heat goes inside your case? Pump it out.....it's not like people install giant coolers on their CPU......
That 4870 triple slot cooler is something no one would release at all.......

The Sonic cards do work.

1 last thing just because I seen it in a review I can tell it. Palit has had only 1% fail rate on all the cards sold. WHICH IS CRAZY!

It's bad times right now, on all video card sales. If you happen to go to a lan event these days. You can see by just looking at all the cut backs on prizes, and how they setup the event. They just don't have the money. PALiT has been playing it safe in my book, and not dishing out 1 million different cards. They are just being here during the bad times.
There is much much more I wish I could share.........

Last edited:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
considering some of that info - I won't quote the post :toast:

yeah - it was horrible how green shafted 3DFX owners, add in a couple of bad tech-support run-ins, and I'll never purchase an nVidia product (although I'll accept a gift :p - they just won't get my money).

I do miss the old days, though - back when a fragmatch was fun, and people were cool with each other - everyone was a good winner and good loser, no hard feelings during a match, shit happens . . .

nowadays, you can't go 15-30 minutes without having some name thrown your way, or a deragatory comment made; people accuse each other of hax left and right . . . for the moment, I've completely given up on MPing.

Companies are wanting to play it safe too - we don't have any company on the market right now that just stirs stuff up . . . sure, there's a whole lotta 90210 going on between the companies, but that's all mud-slinging and legal threatening - nothing like it was back in the day. That's another reason why I miss 3DFX, when they started losing their performance lead with the VooDoo4, they started implimenting more multi-GPUs on one PCB solutions . . . which sent ATI, Matrox, nVidia, Titan and everyone else scrambling over each other back to the drawing boards.

All 3DFX had to do was release a statment with the words "We're developing a . . ." - and they'd all tuck tail and start burnign the midnight oil doing R&D.

Now - everyone just wants to play it safe; AMD is too hurting to do anything overly adventurous; Intel is just re-inventing their own wheels and then sandbagging. nVidia has gotten their heads so far up their rear they swear they haven't dropped a stank turd in decades. Who knows how ATI will go ATM - they've been fairly straight forward with nVidia recently, you can easily see their renoun confidence with the HD4000 series (seriously, I thought it hilarious when ATI pretty much called nVidia a friggin tech dinosaur :laugh:).

Damn - hard to think the good 'ol days were 8-12 years ago already :ohwell:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
Well thank u:)

IMO it's time to kick the door in and bring something fresh out.

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Add me to that 3dfx lot. They were the best cards ever made IMO. My Voodoo 3 3000 PCI was a beast, but dear God the drivers were a pain to install. OpenGL and Glide were the bomb in the day. I wish they still used them.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
Now the mix of people at AMD right now with ATi is simply amazing right now.

They do have ideas rolling, and people do not see those ideas.

Remember when you used to see INQ post ATi stuff everyday......that has now stopped for the most. Wonder why????....

AMD is hurting, but ATi is not(and are because they are with AMD). They have kept them apart for different reasons.
If they had the cash that Intel has.........
I know they are working with one another on ideas. They all go to trade shows together.....:) Friends share ideas. I don't even have to know them to know that. Just look at us and what we talk about.

They are also the bunch that went through that fun stage. ATi has not backed down, and AMD has not either. What they have now may suck, but you need to look at where they are going, not where they are now.

Just look at all the low low watt CPUs from AMD. Companies loves that 1000 machines running under the electric of a light bulb hell yea. BIG$$$ savings.

When AMD Quad gets ready to really roll, and it will. Just look at the HD2900XT. And the 4870 same damn card, but unlike N they are improving it, and tweaking it. The next big cards are going to be shockers.

Everyone likes to say that AMD is scared, and I don't think that is the case. Even tho I have not talked to them in a long time. They are being competitive in the market on stock clocks. They know that people love to OC.

Just look at all the black CPUs they have out. They are catering to the people that OC just for fun in a cheap price. Intel you have to pay to play that way.

To have a unlinked-memory motherboard is $$$$$$ so to do that with Intel is going to cost.

What I see is in the end of 2009/These quads were a bad mojo headache from what I heard on making them/ They are also under NDA so do not say what they can or can not do. They can say just wait, and look you in the eye.

Intel does not have this, nor does Nvidia.

You make high-end GPU for PC console and more. You make High-end CPU, AND with chipsets.

You can't tell me someone has not thought of hey lets make all this work together........

I point to the Dragon that they are talking about. HUGE increase in speed.

AM3(then the +:) )

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
so any compare with dx10 or dx 10.1 , cuz i think there is no different

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
3dFx all the way!!!

I have an old MSI one.......Have to look at here in a few hours and get back too you it is still in a case.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Now the mix of people at AMD right now with ATi is simply amazing right now.

They do have ideas rolling, and people do not see those ideas.

Remember when you used to see INQ post ATi stuff everyday......that has now stopped for the most. Wonder why????....

AMD is hurting, but ATi is not(and are because they are with AMD). They have kept them apart for different reasons.
If they had the cash that Intel has.........
I know they are working with one another on ideas. They all go to trade shows together.....:) Friends share ideas. I don't even have to know them to know that. Just look at us and what we talk about.

They are also the bunch that went through that fun stage. ATi has not backed down, and AMD has not either. What they have now may suck, but you need to look at where they are going, not where they are now.

Just look at all the low low watt CPUs from AMD. Companies loves that 1000 machines running under the electric of a light bulb hell yea. BIG$$$ savings.

When AMD Quad gets ready to really roll, and it will. Just look at the HD2900XT. And the 4870 same damn card, but unlike N they are improving it, and tweaking it. The next big cards are going to be shockers.

Everyone likes to say that AMD is scared, and I don't think that is the case. Even tho I have not talked to them in a long time. They are being competitive in the market on stock clocks. They know that people love to OC.

Just look at all the black CPUs they have out. They are catering to the people that OC just for fun in a cheap price. Intel you have to pay to play that way.

To have a unlinked-memory motherboard is $$$$$$ so to do that with Intel is going to cost.

What I see is in the end of 2009/These quads were a bad mojo headache from what I heard on making them/ They are also under NDA so do not say what they can or can not do. They can say just wait, and look you in the eye.

Intel does not have this, nor does Nvidia.

You make high-end GPU for PC console and more. You make High-end CPU, AND with chipsets.

You can't tell me someone has not thought of hey lets make all this work together........

I point to the Dragon that they are talking about. HUGE increase in speed.

AM3(then the +:) )

I completely agree - I've never said AMD has been scared of their competitors, nor ATI. I think their biggest weaknesses they've displayed over the years, both companies have a knack for not advertising enough . . .

but, both companies are also very well known for pushing new technological advances, moving forward . . . something doesn't work out well, they go back to the drawing board and take a fresh approach - once they figure something out that works well, they continue to improve it . . . look at ATI's R500 series of GPUs . . . how long were those out on the market, and continued development?

I think one of their biggest strengths is that both companies are confident in their hardware, and it's capabilities - they don't advertise stuff that their hardware can't do, nor do they blow it out of proportion. They've always taken the rough criticisms of their competition with grace, and don't fall into the name calling and mud-slinging (usually).

Out of all the major companies on the market, I look forward to the red camp's new hardware, simply to see what new technology they're pushing. Like I said earlier, I'm fairly certain ATI will be the first graphics manufacturer with DX11 support (they woulda been first with DX10, but the merger delayed the HD2900), and they'll be the first with PCIE3.0 support - when was the last time nVidia brought a "tech first" to market before ATI? DX10, and that's it, IIRC.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
No they would of been the first with DX10

Nvidia could not do the real deal DX10.....they could not pass the MS test.

Microsoft had to go back and change it, and then we have what today is called 10.1....which is not what MS wanted.

ATi was ready, and Nvidia was not. It forced ATi to change a few things so that Nvdia would not get kicked out of the door.

Do you not remember the first N vista drivers LOL.....

Polarman

System Name Polar's Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II 975BE
Motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD65 (Bios 18.7)
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Led
Memory Gskill 8GB DDR3-1333 (8,8,8,21)
Video Card(s) MSI HD6870 Hawk
Storage WD Raptor 250 - WD RE4 500GB
Display(s) Samsung T240 (1920 X1200)
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 (Red)
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit + SP1
DirectX 10 -10.1 -11.

All i can say is that i do not have any games that requires it yet.

BTW, I'm not cheap... I'm just a bad consumer.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Add me to that 3dfx lot. They were the best cards ever made IMO. My Voodoo 3 3000 PCI was a beast, but dear God the drivers were a pain to install. OpenGL and Glide were the bomb in the day. I wish they still used them.

i love 3dfx i have a creative 3dfx banshee 4mb and i have a bottle cap as the HS on it i can throw that card drop it bury it under stuff submerge it under water and the thing will still give me video when other cards wont

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
I would love to get my hands on a Voodoo5 5500 PCI Graphics Card
So I could just play with it from time to time in any machine:)
I do have the AGP card thanks to Erocker, but I don't have a AGP1 board:(

There are still people writing drivers for 3dfx LOL

A review ROFL
http://hothardware.com/Articles/3dfx-Voodoo5-5500-PCI/?page=1

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I think it's pretty 1337 that people keep writing drivers for the VooDoo series.

I'm with ya on still wishing for an AGP board, I'd love to run Q2/Glide with my VooDoo3 just for old-times sake . . . but no AGP board here, either :(

I also think it's sad how MS caved to nVidia over the DX10 thing . . . nVidia also screwed us out of DX10/DirectSound capability as well.

Little known fact, but during development of the Vista OS, MS was working with nVidia and Creative Labs for devlopement of DirectSound support. For some reason, nVidia dropped the project altogether, and MS abandonded it as well - leaving Creative about 3 months to get "new" Vista drivers ready for Vista's launch. I say new because their original drivers were desgined for an OS that would have had DS support. Big reason, IMO, why Creative was almost 6 months late with official Vista drivers - and even then they were more of a beta state.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
One of those cards went for sale last year.....big bucks

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
One of those cards went for sale last year.....big bucks

no shit?! :twitch: How much did it sell for?!

I didn't even think any of those went into production - I'm sure if it was an engineering sample, that'd be a geek collector's item right there.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
They are worth around 1000USD

It really depends on WHO wants it.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
They are worth around 1000USD

It really depends on WHO wants it.

I'm sure - although, 10 years down the road, it'd still be a collector's item, and still be just as honored and respected as the VooDoos we hold in our hand.

Hell, even Sol's Creative Banshee, IMHO, is a collector's item - one of the few lines of video cards that were ever released under the Creative Lab's logo, and stouting a Banshee GPU as well.

They are cards that wrote GPU history, broke the boundaries of performance for their time - rewrote the rules that everyone was playing by . . . e.g. we know the cards were 16b, and 24b display capable, but the 24b dither wasn't applied until the frame ready in the frame buffer - which is why the screenshot don't do the cards any justice. What you're seeing is the 16b render before the final filtering for display is done.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Storage SSD 64GB
Case Using the desk ATM
That is why I have 80286 boards, FM Hard drive with Controlers, all sorts of old odd cards, a eaily 90's sun machine. The first real apple in my eyes Macintosh 128K. WHICH still works I started it up not to long ago.....:)

not my pic

If you open the case on mine! You see that all the main people that went into creating it signed it. One of the FIST ones off the line.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
So, what the hell has you so wound up lately, D? lol.